Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Back over a year...where is my head?

Back over a year...where is my head?

Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:05 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Back over a year...where is my head?

Well folks, you've not seen me around for some time, so I thought I'd give an update on where my head is on the whole UK/Australia thing.

How are things different for us now living on the south coast of England, compared to when we lived on the east coast of NSW?

Well, on the positive side, compared to our lives in Sydney:
1. We see a lot more of our relatives and friends. We see my wife's sister and dad at least once a month, and other relatives 3 or 4 times a year. My wife has become closer to her sister and dad. Most significantly, our daughter adores them and her other relatives - they are a very important part of her life. Had we stayed in Australia, they would not even be memories. Some of our good friends are like family, and we can see them every few weeks - something we would have paid a lot for when in Sydney.
2. We both have very good careers. Here we have advanced far more quickly than we could have in Australia in one year. There are just far more opportunities for us in the UK, and the opportunities are generally far better.
3. The 'British summer time' weather is generally pleasant. No flies, no mozzies, no heat rash, no itching, no sweating. Sensible temperatures. Plenty of water.
4. We have easy access to very diverse countryside, coast, historic cities and villages. This is an aspect of Britain that we love dearly. We also have access to Europe, though this is certainly not so easy with a toddler.
5. Britain is an interesting place to live. Britain feels like a place where things happen; the cutting edge of science, technology, media, education, world politics - everything. Compared to Australia, Britain seems so much more multi-dimensional.

On the negative side:
1. The first winter was a killer. The Spring and Summer of 2006 went well. Then the Winter came and was dire. Dull. Wet. Unpleasant. Not particularly cold, but I think I would prefer that as it tends to go with blue skies. Mid-winter, we pretty much decided to return to Australia. Our plans firmed up to return in Autumn 2008. Until the clocks went forward again in 2007...
2. Fairly unreliable weather generally. April 2007 was fabulous. May and June, just OK. It's not Sydney. We aren't going to get blue skies most days any time soon. This is a fact to be accepted. Not such a big deal, just annoying.
3. I don't like the fact that yobs exist at all. Actually this was a major concern, but the so called 'yob culture' has had no direct effect on us whatsoever. It's just the fact that there are plenty of chavs in the UK generally that annoys me. I want rid of them. But thankfully this hasn't been a problem at all. We live in a pretty sheltered village and are perhaps lucky in that respect. Yobs exist in Australia too, in plentyful supplies in many areas. But proportionately, I'd say the yob ratio was lower.
4. The pace of life is more stressful. This for us is quite noticable. The roads are fuller, we work harder, everything is a bit more of a race. Life is more complicated. Hard to balance this one; life is Australia was 'easy' in comparison - if that's what you want (it wasn't). Britain feels less healthy than Australia. So it is a constant effort to try to stop the stress from getting to you.
5. Life is expensive here. Many things are roughly the same price in the two countries - food, consumer goods, etc. But living is more expensive here overall mostly especially when you consider the less visible things, e.g. car tax, TV licence, council tax, eating out/in. Australia seems to have a simpler and more visible tax regime.

So where are we at now? Well, we're actually happy here now. That's why I've not really posted recently. We're just getting on with life, without the doubt and indecision. We have lots of very meaningful and important things in our lives now. And we're certainly not bored. The main thing we miss is the weather, excluding the Sydney summer. Good weather just changes our outlook and we generally feel healthier. The UK winter and fear about the British social climate felt like enough of a reason to decide to return to Australia 6 months ago. Now we would find it very hard to return anytime soon. We have a lot to lose now. It is very much a possibility in a few years, yet mostly due again to fear for our daughter as she gets older.

So to those looking to return, your two main worries about Britain are probably:
1. Social climate. Unless you live in affected areas, this mostly won't affect you at all. If you do (have to) return to a badly affected area, then you may regret moving back - we would. Mostly, this is only real for us in fears.
2. Physical climate. Well, there's nothing I can tell a Brit about British weather. Call it eccentric. But living with an eccentric can be tiresome, and this alone could be enough to tempt us back to warmer climes one day. But for now, we here and glad to be here.

Last edited by ShozInOz; Jun 20th 2007 at 10:09 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:11 pm
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back over a year...where is my head?

Thanks for posting. This sort of honesty is so valuable to those of us still trying to make a firm decision over here.

I am really glad you are happy and hope it continues!

Em
Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:39 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Back over a year...where is my head?

Good to hear from you Shoz. Really glad you've found your place for the time being. I think your negative point 4 is possibly the price you have to pay for your positive point 5.

All the best.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you taking the time to post that.
A great post and v good for us heading back to read

Stay happy
Old Jun 21st 2007, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
Well folks, you've not seen me around for some time, so I thought I'd give an update on where my head is on the whole UK/Australia thing.

How are things different for us now living on the south coast of England, compared to when we lived on the east coast of NSW?

1. We see a lot more of our relatives and friends. We see my wife's sister and dad at least once a month, and other relatives 3 or 4 times a year. My wife has become closer to her sister and dad. Most significantly, our daughter adores them and her other relatives - they are a very important part of her life. Had we stayed in Australia, they would not even be memories. Some of our good friends are like family, and we can see them every few weeks - something we would have paid a lot for when in Sydney.
2. We both have very good careers. Here we have advanced far more quickly than we could have in Australia in one year. There are just far more opportunities for us in the UK, and the opportunities are generally far better.
3. The 'British summer time' weather is generally pleasant. No flies, no mozzies, no heat rash, no itching, no sweating. Sensible temperatures. Plenty of water.
4. We have easy access to very diverse countryside, coast, historic cities and villages. This is an aspect of Britain that we love dearly. We also have access to Europe, though this is certainly not so easy with a toddler.
5. Britain is an interesting place to live. Britain feels like a place where things happen; the cutting edge of science, technology, media, education, world politics - everything. Compared to Australia, Britain seems so much more multi-dimensional.

On the negative side:
1. The first winter was a killer. The Spring and Summer of 2006 went well. Then the Winter came and was dire. Dull. Wet. Unpleasant. Not particularly cold, but I think I would prefer that as it tends to go with blue skies. Mid-winter, we pretty much decided to return to Australia. Our plans firmed up to return in Autumn 2008. Until the clocks went forward again in 2007...
2. Fairly unreliable weather generally. April 2007 was fabulous. May and June, just OK. It's not Sydney. We aren't going to get blue skies most days any time soon. This is a fact to be accepted. Not such a big deal, just annoying.
3. I don't like the fact that yobs exist at all. Actually this was a major concern, but the so called 'yob culture' has had no direct effect on us whatsoever. It's just the fact that there are plenty of chavs in the UK generally that annoys me. I want rid of them. But thankfully this hasn't been a problem at all. We live in a pretty sheltered village and are perhaps lucky in that respect. Yobs exist in Australia too, in plentyful supplies in many areas. But proportionately, I'd say the yob ratio was lower.
4. The pace of life is more stressful. This for us is quite noticable. The roads are fuller, we work harder, everything is a bit more of a race. Life is more complicated. Hard to balance this one; life is Australia was 'easy' in comparison - if that's what you want (it wasn't). Britain feels less healthy than Australia. So it is a constant effort to try to stop the stress from getting to you.
5. Life is expensive here. Many things are roughly the same price in the two countries - food, consumer goods, etc. But living is more expensive here overall mostly especially when you consider the less visible things, e.g. car tax, TV licence, council tax, eating out/in. Australia seems to have a simpler and more visible tax regime.

So where are we at now? Well, we're actually happy here now. That's why I've not really posted recently. We're just getting on with life, without the doubt and indecision. We have lots of very meaningful and important things in our lives now. And we're certainly not bored. The main thing we miss is the weather, excluding the Sydney summer. Good weather just changes our outlook and we generally feel healthier. The UK winter and fear about the British social climate felt like enough of a reason to decide to return to Australia 6 months ago. Now we would find it very hard to return anytime soon. We have a lot to lose now. It is very much a possibility in a few years, yet mostly due again to fear for our daughter as she gets older.

So to those looking to return, your two main worries about Britain are probably:
1. Social climate. Unless you live in affected areas, this mostly won't affect you at all. If you do (have to) return to a badly affected area, then you may regret moving back - we would. Mostly, this is only real for us in fears.
2. Physical climate. Well, there's nothing I can tell a Brit about British weather. Call it eccentric. But living with an eccentric can be tiresome, and this alone could be enough to tempt us back to warmer climes one day. But for now, we here and glad to be here.
Great post,like you say you are happy where you are living now, but who knows what the future holds.
A friend of mine went home to the U.K. after having been in OZ for 21 years,they had no children, so therefore did not have to worry about schools Ect. Having been back home for 3 years, have now returned to Melbourne, their main complaint was the weather, they said it seemed that the winter went on forever,apart from that they loved the U.K. Pleased that you have settled and are happy.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Shoz. Great post. I was wondering how you were getting on. Glad to hear things are now looking brighter for you all.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 6:28 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

A good post. Regarding winter, isn't that why folks who can, go to France or Spain for winter warmth? I realise you are younger and working but it could be a consideration for later years.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 7:27 pm
I'll have a double double

dozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to alldozy_muppet03 is a name known to all

On the negative side:

Great post, interesting that you picked up on the Chavs and YOBS, I think another poster phrased it well by saying that there was something definitely in the air regarding the increase in violence in the UK....Now, onto my favorite subject, did you get your citizenship, handy for the future, should you decide to return you can.

rgds

John
Old Jun 21st 2007, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

On the negative side:

Hi Shoz

Im glad you gave an update as I wondered how you were going. I always liked hearing your posts because I always found them very objective (must be your training!) and useful.
Cant beleive how time has flown by...

The thing I find realy interesting is seeing parallels in what you have said to my experience, only articulated much better!

I "felt" your wobbles in the Winter months too - and must say, I wobbled too - and was strangely envious when you said you may go back to Oz. But Im pleased you are content where you are right now. I agree totally with all your positives and negatives completely - this too is my experience.

I think that your most interesting point is when you said "we have to much to loose" going back at this time. I spoke to my OH about going back since he wanted to stay in Oz and I didnt - but he said the same as you. In 1yr being back we have established ourselves so much more than a year in Oz could ever do. We have both had promotions, visited Europe,socialised, done interesting things and in general do not have the time to lament on another life as we did in Perth. We are definately more fullfilled emotionally, intellectually and spiritually.

I hope you continue to be happy and glad you are another living in a safe area where you can build a good life for yourself. Im sure this is very reassuring for others

Best wishes
Chrissy

Last edited by chance to be; Jun 21st 2007 at 9:06 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all

I appreciated the objectivity and balance of this post too. fact is, when any of us get back, we'll experience regret along with the thrill. I only hope that I can look on my experiences in such a measured and insightful way. Thanks!
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

thats was a great post, both positive and realistic, good luck with your future plans.

kath
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 9:06 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Shoz

I enjoyed reading that thanks. I have to say I feel pretty much the same on a few of your points about being back here in the UK.More stressful being one of them and of course the luuuvvvly yobs, of which I know Oz has them too but I have seen more here than what I did when I lived in Oz.

The local playgrounds are like a magnet for most of them and of course they like nothing better than to spend their friday night smashing up the kiddies swings, seesaws, park benches and come Saturday morning when I take my children over surprise, surprise no swings for them to play on but plenty of smashed bottles, fag ends and rubbish to play with. !!They throw the wheelie bins from one end of the car park to the other and when the police are called do they come........No......!!
I walked my daughter home through our local park/football pitch yesterday and right up the end of the pitch is the pavillion and 5 boys about 12-14yrs old were kicking their ball continuously onto the roof to see how many tiles they could break. They had already succeeded so I shouted at them saying how sick I am of things being vandalised and when they have finished smashing that up what next. They just mumbled and said they were testing to see how strong it was blah blah, blah. They have the whole field/pitch to play and yet this is what they do and you know these boys don't come from bad families they come from an estate that backs onto the park where the houses are probabaly the most expensive in our town. !No respect for anything or anyone. And before you ask I live in a town in Sussex, no some built up deprived area. Oh and the local WPC just loves picking up 11yr olds from the street on a friday night pissed out of their heads and when phoning the father to tell him his son is being taken to hospital the reply is well I am in the pub at the moment I will have to meet you there when I can get a lift....No shock....No OMG how is he.....!!! Amazing eh...!! 11yrs old......!!

I know people will say this happens everywhere and I agree I am sure it does but I have noticed it more and more since I have come back to the UK. Still it's friday so we will be in for another night of listening to them screaming and shouting over the park yet again tonight.Hey ho.....sorry Shoz I have had a right old moan...!! sorry peeps just had to get that of my chest...!!!

Good luck Shoz and family wherever you end up staying !!

Last edited by Pants; Jun 22nd 2007 at 9:10 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 10:18 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pants
Hi Shoz

I enjoyed reading that thanks. I have to say I feel pretty much the same on a few of your points about being back here in the UK.More stressful being one of them and of course the luuuvvvly yobs, of which I know Oz has them too but I have seen more here than what I did when I lived in Oz.

The local playgrounds are like a magnet for most of them and of course they like nothing better than to spend their friday night smashing up the kiddies swings, seesaws, park benches and come Saturday morning when I take my children over surprise, surprise no swings for them to play on but plenty of smashed bottles, fag ends and rubbish to play with. !!They throw the wheelie bins from one end of the car park to the other and when the police are called do they come........No......!!
I walked my daughter home through our local park/football pitch yesterday and right up the end of the pitch is the pavillion and 5 boys about 12-14yrs old were kicking their ball continuously onto the roof to see how many tiles they could break. They had already succeeded so I shouted at them saying how sick I am of things being vandalised and when they have finished smashing that up what next. They just mumbled and said they were testing to see how strong it was blah blah, blah. They have the whole field/pitch to play and yet this is what they do and you know these boys don't come from bad families they come from an estate that backs onto the park where the houses are probabaly the most expensive in our town. !No respect for anything or anyone. And before you ask I live in a town in Sussex, no some built up deprived area. Oh and the local WPC just loves picking up 11yr olds from the street on a friday night pissed out of their heads and when phoning the father to tell him his son is being taken to hospital the reply is well I am in the pub at the moment I will have to meet you there when I can get a lift....No shock....No OMG how is he.....!!! Amazing eh...!! 11yrs old......!!

I know people will say this happens everywhere and I agree I am sure it does but I have noticed it more and more since I have come back to the UK. Still it's friday so we will be in for another night of listening to them screaming and shouting over the park yet again tonight.Hey ho.....sorry Shoz I have had a right old moan...!! sorry peeps just had to get that of my chest...!!!

Good luck Shoz and family wherever you end up staying !!

I Know what you mean but you can imagine what it is like for us.....we do live very close to the scummy areas and only last year a young boy who was stabbed and killed for the colour of his skin was hitting the headlines.

Our parks are awful ......not painted, rusty equipment and basically not maintained.

Pants ...will you be heading back to Oz in the near future, or are you still unsure yourself.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 10:18 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

On the negative side:

Good honest post.

Good luck in the future wherever it may take you
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

Well folks, you've not seen me around for some time, so I thought I'd give an update on where my head is on the whole UK/Australia thing...
I think this sums up our experience well too. We came back from NZ and have been back in the UK about 1.5 yrs, away from NZ about 2 years.

We still have a house in NZ and will use it more and more as a second home, with the intention to base our selves there eventually.

We are in a lovely small village in the UK, so again not too effected by yobs, etc...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.