Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Back home in UK & Loving it!

Back home in UK & Loving it!

Old Jan 5th 2006, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold
Default Back home in UK & Loving it!

Hi everyone

Plants here and as promised an email about what we have been up to since arriving back here mid December.

The Emirates flight over was very good, used them a couple of times now and would use them again too, managed to get some sleep and no jetlag either which cant be bad can it! With the flight we had an offer of $200 each towards a hire car so upon arrival at Birmingham picked it up and have it to take back this Sunday. Its come in very handy getting us around and about and not having to rely on anyone. Forftunately sister in law weorks for a Ford Dealer so we have bought a 2 year old Fiesta Diesel which we are very happy with, economical to run and does about 65 miles to gallon, so another thing sorted.

Our Dog and Cat were picked up by Dogtainers from our home in Butler the day before we left and went into kennels for a week before shipping them over here, so they remained in Perth a week after we left to give us time to sort some basics out, they seemed to be very good, no problems with any of the paperwork, C5 filed out, rabies and injection certificates given to them and no prolblems at all when we picked them up at Heathrow a week after we arrived back. The Quarantine Station at Heathrow has a conservatory on the front with sofa's in it, you are rung by them before hand to make sure you own the animals etc and told to come long 3-4 hours after the flight arrives as they ahve to be cleared by customs, paperwork sorted out etc then allowed through to you. As soon as they are off the plane they are allowed out into an exercise area I have been told and apart from being bl.....y cold for them they came through to us ok. Bella (dog) was very sheepish but then recognised me and did backward somersaults with pleasure at seeing us all there! Fortunately my brother lives around the corner, literally so we took them around there for a run around and a cuppa before heading up to Rugby. They were fine in the car and have taken to life in UK extremely easily. We took our vets advice in Oz and bought Bella a coat which she has used all the time but especially in the snow whilst over in Ipswich/Suffolk. Cassie the Cat has always been a loner but something has happened for the good and since arriving here has been on my lap far more for a cuddle than she ever did in Perth, must be the weather here wanting to get warm. She has remained indoors, as she did in Perth, and has probably spent more time under the duvet than on top of it! Both came through the experience really well so if there is anyone out there about to experience this trip with animals dont worry, their cages were both clean, no messes and ok.

My son found us a rental just before we left so all we had to do was go in and sign for it so we now have somewhere to live in a little village outside Rugby. Neither of us come from this area but my son, wife and family live there and have visited on several occasions and have always found it a very nice area as as I didn't want to be so far from family we chose to stay around here. The village is lovely, typical village, church, pub, couple of shops etc and I love it. It is so nice to see people walking around again, seeing bare trees, leaves on floor, soggy moss riden grass and the open fields with animals in them! We had our first taste of country life and was stopped by a farmer herding a few cows along the road, wonderful!

We have only bought a few essentials items to live with till our household effects arrive and I have to say its surprised us at the cheapness of some things in the shops. The variety of everything is so good and we are taking so long going around the shops as there is so much to look at. We did our first super market shop yesterday as we have been away for a week and before that eating around sons and it was very tiring as there was so much variety in everything, plus looking at the prices too and having to find the items in the first place. Why is salt away from where the herbs, peppers are? Anyway, DH and DS came along too and it probably took us twice as long cos of that too but we all enjoyed it, just need to find a local farmer with fruit and veg produce for sale.

Being with son, wife and grandchildren for Christmas was great, very unreal to me as its something that I had missed for so long and thought I would never get to do again and there I was with both 4 and 2 year old grandkids, being called Nanna and playing with them getting lots of cuddles. Cant tell you how I felt, I was numb at first, in fact for the first two weeks at least I have felt numb and very slowly coming around to the fact that I am actually back here and so thoroughly enjoying the cold, wet and sloshy weather. Its not been easy finding our way around a strange town again (now where have I done that before..... ah yes Perth!), looking/webbing for best buys in fridges washing machines, beds etc, plus with the difference in temperatures it a bit of a shock too but I wouldn't change a thing. I would rather get wrapped up in a coat, scarf and gloves then be hot around the shops than be in WA with a high temperatures, but thats just me. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Perth and think its a beautiful place but I cant live there, my daughter is still over there so I have a good excuse to come for holidays and I know I will enjoy that perhaps in Aug-Oct so I can see the wildflowers. Missing my daughter like mad and the MSN has come in very handy chatting to her.

One DS started secondary school today, he is 12 and so had just finished primary in Butler before we left and has now gone into Year 8 (2nd year) High School. After having him go to school in shorts and polo tops and trainers for years it was really nice seeing him in long trousers, shirt, pullover, tie, blazer and leather shoes, what a handsome chap he looked! We all had a visit around his school and as its fairly small we decided it was the best one for him. Now cross fingers and hope his first day went well!

Snow! Drove across to Ipswich/Suffolk day after Boxing Day and drove through snow which by the time we had reached Ipswich was laying quite thick. Of course DH just had to try a couple of hand break turns on a side street and you should have seen the cheesy grin on his face and one DS giggling his head off!! That night around sister in laws it was wonderful with the snow falling thick and fast plus with the street lights on it made it all look very peachy coloured. Lots of the houses in the street had outside decorations up which made the scene even more magical. If someone could let me know how to downloads the piccies onto this I will put a couple on here for you to see if you want. We took Bella out in the snow for the first time, she is only 15 months old and a Spoodle, with her coat on and us wrapped up we walked and walked looking at bare trees with snow on, and fields covered in white, what a scene. I don't know about Bella loving it, I sure did and so did DH. Bella kept trying to nose the snow! The only down side is one very soggy shaggy wet dog on more than one occasion but again, a good towelling so no problems.

Now DH is looking for a job, he has had a couple of agencies ring him up and so hopefully something will come up for him, it all takes time so more CV writing, webbing for jobs etc. I am taking it more slowly, feel happier than I have felt in ages, still taking the pills and know I will slowly get better once I get into regular walking, gardening and general ahh with my plants and flowers etc.

Hope I haven't gone on too long for you all, just wanted to share my experience with you as I know there are lots of people in Oz wanting to come back and wanting to know what its really like here. If I have missed anything or anyone wants to know anything specific just email me and I will be more than happy to answer.

Thanks for letting me waffle on.

PLANTS
Old Jan 5th 2006, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back home in UK & Loving it!

Oh how wonderful, well done its lovely to hear things are sorting themselves out for you. Keep us updated we would love to hear more news
Old Jan 5th 2006, 3:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

It was lovely to read your waffle Best of luck.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

PLANTS[/QUOTE]

Hey plants, sounds like you are now 'home'.....wonderful...keep up with your blog....love to hear your news
Old Jan 5th 2006, 4:19 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PLANTS
Hi everyone

Plants here and as promised an email about what we have been up to since arriving back here mid December.

PLANTS
You can "waffle" on like that as often as you like!

For those like me with plans to head back soon it's very reassuring and informative to read long posts like that (and it wasn't waffling at all). I'm taking my dog across the Atlantic (again! Third time for her) and it's nice to hear that the folks at the UK end are as good as they were last time I went back.

Waffle on!
Old Jan 5th 2006, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
For those like me with plans to head back soon it's very reassuring and informative to read long posts like that (and it wasn't waffling at all).
I echo that. What a wonderful post. I'm glad you're enjoying it so much.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 7:09 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

I am really pleased for you that you are enjoying settling in. Just the small things like walks and the nice village shops are so nice arent they? Agree about the school uniform. My son has always just worn shorts, t shirts and trainers. He looks so handsome in his uniform now. . So glad the pets did alright. My cat has been more loving lately as well. I suppose they dont understand what they did to deserve all the changes (cats hate changes), so they are going to be on really sweet behaviour for a while. .
Keep enjoying it, and waffle on all you like.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 7:54 pm

NewCalgarian is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm well jealous - can't wait to be back too!
Old Jan 5th 2006, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much Plants! It was a fantastic read and I felt like I was there with you... You new village sounds ideal. I hope that your sons first day has gone well.

Keep us posted

Woodyxxx
Old Jan 5th 2006, 10:37 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

great post and really encouraging for those of us making the trip back in the near or not so near future. Thanks!
Old Jan 6th 2006, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

...a lovely post, Plants. thanks for sharing it with us all. glad you are so happy
Old Jan 6th 2006, 1:29 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

How wonderful for you! You lucky things!

I'm glad you're trip back was good and you're settling back into UK life.

Keep us posted.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 1:43 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Back home in UK & Loving it!

What a wonderful account of your return home to the UK!g

I'm originally from nearby Coventry but used to work all over Warwickshire, including Rugby town centre and surrounding villages...so I'm curious as to which one you are in!

In my early twenties I used to go horseriding at the stables in Bretford and I have some wonderful memories of going on 'pub crawls on horseback' in the countryside during the lovely long Summer evenings. We would start off at the Queen's Head in Bretford, ride up through King's Newnham (then a tiny hamlet) and across the fields to the Golden Lion at Easenhall and then the Union Jack pub.

This pub was on the main road to Coventry but I can't remember the name of the village but it was on the Fosse Way (the old Roman Road) and may have been Dunchurch or Stretton Under Fosse? Wonderful times....I fell off the horse more than once but having had a few drinks I was quite relaxed and not hurt at all LOL!

Also remember nice villages like Withybrook (Half Moon pub) and Pailton, an ex-boyfriend lived in Livingstone Ave in Long Lawford and we would go to the local pub in Church Lawford. The whole countryside in this part of Warwickshire is quite stunning in the Summertime....I love all the ancient churches in all the villages, there is a huge church in Monks Kirby (and a pub called the Denbeigh Arms where we had a few games nights with skittles and had to throw a 'cheese' to knock them down).

I think you would be very interested in going to the national organic farm in Ryton on the A45 near Coventry - it has won all kinds of awards and I think that Prince Charles is a patron. I'm sure you will also love to visit all the National Trust houses and gardens too...you will love Charlecote Park just off the M40/A46 roundabout near Stratford Upon Avon.

http://www.organicgardening.org.uk/gardens/ryton.php (It is located between Rugby and Coventry next to the A45 near the Peugeot factory)

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main...nds-places.htm

Lucky you!
Old Jan 6th 2006, 8:05 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

welcome home Plants

Lovely post, thanks for sharing it

keep us posted and keep happy

P
Old Jan 8th 2006, 3:14 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PLANTS
Hi everyone

feel happier than I have felt in ages,
PLANTS

I think this says it all.....waking up and feeling happy in your home is a great feeling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.