Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I's back in Gods own country....the UK!

I's back in Gods own country....the UK!

Old Feb 20th 2004, 3:22 am
  #31  
Life's next chapter is?
Thread Starter
 
theguitardoctor's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: NW England...for now.
Posts: 942
theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default

Striding into things, I have spent 2 days rewriting my website and included some of the photo's I collected around NZ (only a few due to space on server) and the USA. If anyone wants a gander it's at www.theguitardoctor.co.uk under the NEWS section. I have had to explain my absence as a "trip" since it all went wrong...but what the heck, I have a business to build back up, so I have to stretch the truth a little...saves a lot of explanation to people too.

Already had a couple of repair jobs in, so things are on the up, though the marriage is pretty much screwed now. Oh well, all will look better as time goes by I guess.

Though the return to the UK was unplanned, it's good to be getting back on my feet, seeing friends etc. I just wish I could turn back the clock and not bother going to NZ in the first place.....would have saved a lot of stress and heartache............ho hum.

Rich.
theguitardoctor is offline  
Old Feb 20th 2004, 5:09 am
  #32  
Came Back 2003
 
heading downunder 2002's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Home & Settled
Posts: 659
heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice
Default

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
Striding into things, I have spent 2 days rewriting my website and included some of the photo's I collected around NZ (only a few due to space on server) and the USA. If anyone wants a gander it's at www.theguitardoctor.co.uk under the NEWS section. I have had to explain my absence as a "trip" since it all went wrong...but what the heck, I have a business to build back up, so I have to stretch the truth a little...saves a lot of explanation to people too.

Already had a couple of repair jobs in, so things are on the up, though the marriage is pretty much screwed now. Oh well, all will look better as time goes by I guess.

Though the return to the UK was unplanned, it's good to be getting back on my feet, seeing friends etc. I just wish I could turn back the clock and not bother going to NZ in the first place.....would have saved a lot of stress and heartache............ho hum.

Rich.
Great pictures, Rich the web site looks great. Sorry about your marriage, give it time, things might work out. I know our trip downunder put probably the biggest strain ever on our marriage (20 years this August), hubby did not want to come back but did because of myslf and our daughter, now he doesn't regret it at all and realises it was the right thing for the family as we are all happy and very settled. I think that even if it is just one member of a family that is unhappy it is very hard to stick things out, our friends in Brissy are in this position with the hubby and two kids loving it out there and the wife slowly going into a decline because she is so unhappy, they have been there 18 months and I don't know how much more she can take, she is actually becoming ill with it all and I just wish I could be out there with her to give her a hug (only reason I would return for!!) Hubby has actually said that he no longer really wants to stay (hasn't got a permanent job yet) but won't fix any dates etc for their return.

Anyhow Rich good luck with the business (don't think you are going to need it) and with working things out with the wife, us women are funny creatures you know

Keep letting us know how it is going and if you need any support we are all here for you

Susan
heading downunder 2002 is offline  
Old Feb 20th 2004, 7:40 am
  #33  
Life's next chapter is?
Thread Starter
 
theguitardoctor's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: NW England...for now.
Posts: 942
theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default

Originally posted by heading downunder 2002
Great pictures, Rich the web site looks great. Sorry about your marriage, give it time, things might work out. I know our trip downunder put probably the biggest strain ever on our marriage (20 years this August), hubby did not want to come back but did because of myslf and our daughter, now he doesn't regret it at all and realises it was the right thing for the family as we are all happy and very settled. I think that even if it is just one member of a family that is unhappy it is very hard to stick things out, our friends in Brissy are in this position with the hubby and two kids loving it out there and the wife slowly going into a decline because she is so unhappy, they have been there 18 months and I don't know how much more she can take, she is actually becoming ill with it all and I just wish I could be out there with her to give her a hug (only reason I would return for!!) Hubby has actually said that he no longer really wants to stay (hasn't got a permanent job yet) but won't fix any dates etc for their return.

Anyhow Rich good luck with the business (don't think you are going to need it) and with working things out with the wife, us women are funny creatures you know

Keep letting us know how it is going and if you need any support we are all here for you

Susan
Hi Suse,

Thanks for the positive messages and for the comments re: the website. Took me a couple of days to rewrite the HTML code to add new pages and images etc, but hopefully worth it in the end....can't believe my counter code was changed ... I lost all my hits and I can't remember what they were up to ...

As for the marriage....it wasn't just the homesickness... I never had a problem with that...it was more that my wife caused a lot of financial problems for us during our time in NZ...all of them could have been avoided had it been for a little thought. Obviously, this financial pressure has knocked onto our situation in the UK also, so it's caused a lot of arguments etc...hence the separation.

I wont go into the full extent of it for obvious reasons, but you get the jist of it.

all the best, Rich.
theguitardoctor is offline  
Old Feb 20th 2004, 8:05 am
  #34  
s1lv3rsh4dow
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Originally posted by Alexandra
I've got something to report. My better half has left for London a couple of hours ago. Well, it's a girls house now (hope it sells quick). Totally jealous.

You better tidy it up then, it ain't going to sell if things are lying around eh

Attached Thumbnails I's back in Gods own country....the UK!-img0.gif  
 
Old Feb 20th 2004, 12:16 pm
  #35  
Merlot
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Whose a clever little Vegemite?

 
Old Feb 21st 2004, 12:11 am
  #36  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Going home at last-now we know where that is !
Posts: 1,040
melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of
Default

HI Rich,

Glad to hear you are settling back well. We too wish a lot of the time that we had never come here but the thing is that we/you would never have known what you do now if you never came-perhaps you would always have said, what if we went to New Zealand-life could have been so much better. That is what we would always have said about Australia-you have to try these things to realise I think.

All the best with everything.



Originally posted by theguitardoctor
Striding into things, I have spent 2 days rewriting my website and included some of the photo's I collected around NZ (only a few due to space on server) and the USA. If anyone wants a gander it's at www.theguitardoctor.co.uk under the NEWS section. I have had to explain my absence as a "trip" since it all went wrong...but what the heck, I have a business to build back up, so I have to stretch the truth a little...saves a lot of explanation to people too.

Already had a couple of repair jobs in, so things are on the up, though the marriage is pretty much screwed now. Oh well, all will look better as time goes by I guess.

Though the return to the UK was unplanned, it's good to be getting back on my feet, seeing friends etc. I just wish I could turn back the clock and not bother going to NZ in the first place.....would have saved a lot of stress and heartache............ho hum.

Rich.
melaniee is offline  
Old Feb 21st 2004, 4:22 am
  #37  
Life's next chapter is?
Thread Starter
 
theguitardoctor's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: NW England...for now.
Posts: 942
theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default

Originally posted by melaniee
HI Rich,

Glad to hear you are settling back well. We too wish a lot of the time that we had never come here but the thing is that we/you would never have known what you do now if you never came-perhaps you would always have said, what if we went to New Zealand-life could have been so much better. That is what we would always have said about Australia-you have to try these things to realise I think.

All the best with everything.
Hi,

Settle din ok, but have the niggling feeling that we didnt really give NZ a proper chance as the wife caused a number of problems which meant that we had to come back a lot earlier than anticipated....still, the whole experience has put me off ever trying again....unless that is, my new girlfriend happens to be an Aussie/NZer etc .... life will deal it's next hand as it sees fit......

Rich.
theguitardoctor is offline  
Old Feb 21st 2004, 4:50 am
  #38  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 350
Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Originally posted by Lizzi
Do those of you who have returned to the UK ever get that sinking feeling that you made a mistake? After the excitement of packing up and flying back, do you ever catch your breath and think, well, it wasn't so bad in expat land after all?
Yep. First few months were a definite downer. From arrival at Heathrow into grey skies and so much traffic on the M25, to the price of houses and all that.

Kept thinking "Oh my God, what have I done?"

HOWEVER (big however), after six months back in UK, can honestly say that generally I am glad I returned.

Despite the lovely weather (I like it hot) and the lack of traffic jams (I like it uncrowded), I found Australia boring. It's scenery is boring, it's people (particularly Queenslanders) are very boring, and basically, England is alive!!!
Rosy is offline  
Old Feb 21st 2004, 9:39 am
  #39  
Merlot
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
Hi,

Settle din ok, but have the niggling feeling that we didnt really give NZ a proper chance as the wife caused a number of problems which meant that we had to come back a lot earlier than anticipated....still, the whole experience has put me off ever trying again....unless that is, my new girlfriend happens to be an Aussie/NZer etc .... life will deal it's next hand as it sees fit......

Rich.
Rich life is too short for bad marriages and you will certainly find happiness again!

I am sure you will do it again if the right opportunity comes along. Til then keep going the way you are as you certainly sound like you are getting stuff together.

All the best
M

PS Have to say British chickies are the best!!!! Leave the Aussies & Kiwi's alone - only kidding!
 
Old Feb 21st 2004, 10:04 am
  #40  
aussie73
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Originally posted by Rosy
Yep. First few months were a definite downer. From arrival at Heathrow into grey skies and so much traffic on the M25, to the price of houses and all that.

Kept thinking "Oh my God, what have I done?"

HOWEVER (big however), after six months back in UK, can honestly say that generally I am glad I returned.

Despite the lovely weather (I like it hot) and the lack of traffic jams (I like it uncrowded), I found Australia boring. It's scenery is boring, it's people (particularly Queenslanders) are very boring, and basically, England is alive!!!
l'm sorry we Australian's are such boring people. Theres of course
no boring people in Britain. Your former Prime Minister John Major
was really an Australian, but he kept it secret.
 
Old Feb 21st 2004, 10:09 am
  #41  
Merlot
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

aussie73, isn't it time you called it a day with your remarks.

We love to hear your views but I have noted you are getting a few upset!

If you don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Merlot
 
Old Feb 21st 2004, 10:19 am
  #42  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Dream life UK....
Posts: 2,912
dotty is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally posted by aussie73
l'm sorry we Australian's are such boring people. Theres of course
no boring people in Britain. Your former Prime Minister John Major
was really an Australian, but he kept it secret.

Gosh not him as well, OZ claimed Tony Blair as an aussie too. Lived here for 12 months when he was three. That prompted a piccy of him on his trike with a headline 'Aussie' PM storms the world. Front page too

Whos next months famous aussie "Dolly the sheep" perhaps

dotty is offline  
Old Feb 21st 2004, 10:39 am
  #43  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Dream life UK....
Posts: 2,912
dotty is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally posted by Rosy
Yep. First few months were a definite downer. From arrival at Heathrow into grey skies and so much traffic on the M25, to the price of houses and all that.

Kept thinking "Oh my God, what have I done?"

HOWEVER (big however), after six months back in UK, can honestly say that generally I am glad I returned.

Despite the lovely weather (I like it hot) and the lack of traffic jams (I like it uncrowded), I found Australia boring. It's scenery is boring, it's people (particularly Queenslanders) are very boring, and basically, England is alive!!!
Nice to hear from you rosy. your sounding very settled now. I am fully expecting the first year to have its down moments, mainly from the stress of having to start from scratch. You are lucky you got out, Brisbane has had the heatwave from hell this year, nothing, nothing at all like last years mild summer. This is the worst I have seen ever, like those spells of 40 normally saved for Adelaide, Perth etc. Its literally like walking into an oven, it just burns you. Bus drivers, teachers, everyone screaming for Airconcitioning. You are well out :scared:
dotty is offline  
Old Feb 21st 2004, 12:06 pm
  #44  
BE Forum Addict
 
MikeStanton's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Far away from canned Oz
Posts: 1,833
MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Originally posted by dotty
Gosh not him as well, OZ claimed Tony Blair as an aussie too. Lived here for 12 months when he was three. That prompted a piccy of him on his trike with a headline 'Aussie' PM storms the world. Front page too

Whos next months famous aussie "Dolly the sheep" perhaps

And isn't it strange that we've never claimed any Aussie PMs - including boring Johnnie Howard - as belonging to the UK?
MikeStanton is offline  
Old Feb 21st 2004, 12:14 pm
  #45  
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 11,149
bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Originally posted by dotty
Gosh not him as well, OZ claimed Tony Blair as an aussie too. Lived here for 12 months when he was three. That prompted a piccy of him on his trike with a headline 'Aussie' PM storms the world. Front page too

Whos next months famous aussie "Dolly the sheep" perhaps

Aussie Kim Clijsters was the last one I heard because she is engaged to hissy fit Hewitt. The Aussie Vierri thing was quite amusing even though he wasn't born here.

If you ever go to the AIS in Canberra you'll find a lot of distinctly East European accents. Of course they are all true blue.
bondipom is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.