Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I's back in Gods own country....the UK!

I's back in Gods own country....the UK!

Old Feb 17th 2004, 3:57 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: I's back in Gods own country....the UK!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by theguitardoctor
Hi there,

Made it !!!!!

Hi Rich, glad you made it. I could hear you heave that MASSIVE sigh of relief when you got back, lucky you!!

Good luck, time to get back on track!
Old Feb 17th 2004, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jat
hi hiddenpaw

where in melbourne are you?
are you heading back- when?

reverse culture shock - apparantly they say that re-patriation is harder than actually emigrating/leaving.... sounds a bit odd but when you think about it it probably makes sense

when you leave - its all exciting and you dont know what to expect - however - when you return you have more of an expectation of what going to happen - and many people get become disolusioned..........

im expecting it to be difficult! im still expecting it to take 2 years to resettle - although friends back home dont 'get this' as they see it as im slottin back into my old life.. but its never going to be that easy is it?

although im very interested to hear the likes of guitar doctors story.. and others that go back.... theres going to problems with some and not others i guess.........
I don't really feel qualified to comment on reverse culture shock as I was only away for 18 months and I've only been back about 9 weeks - although I do feel fairly settled. ANd probably the fact that although I enjoyed Melbourne I never felt fully settled there meant that I haven't unwittingly planted any roots there. I've come back to a familiar house, same neighbours - nothing really has changed.

All I can add at this point in time (frivolous air head comments coming up.....) is that the UK TV is not as great as I remember - in fact I resent having had to pay £140 for a TV licence. The Beeb seems to be just full of DIY and property progs and age-old repeats! And the supermarkets aren't so great after all - I think you just adapt to what's available where you live. Now I'm back I miss my Aussie washing powder, can't get buttermilk in my local Sainsbury (even tho there is a shelf reserved for it, it's been empty the last 5 visits) and half of what I go in to buy is sold out! So swings and roundabouts. But the clean air and greenery is blissful, and just as I remember. (Miss the wonderful smell and sight of the gum trees tho.)
Old Feb 17th 2004, 8:53 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,

Yes...a massive sigh of reilief arriving back in the UK. I'm not the best fan of flying...I particularly dislike the take off.....oh and the landing....oh, and the bit in the middle

Anyway, although I enjoyed the USA and time with my Brother, it was good to get back to the UK. United Airlines and Lufthansa trashed my case, but Air NZ had already broken the feet off it (or that may have been UA too), so I'm throwing it away as soon as it's empty. It's a small price to pay...the security checks were a lot more stringent and that causes a bit more aggro for the cases to be put through.....hence the damage.

I have avoided the news as much as possible and the media, but the Sydney riots were pointed out to me despite my avoidance....so it just shows that it ain't all roses on the underside of the planet either.

I've decided on a policy of looking out of the window across the fields as my basis for gauging life in the UK rather than the media.

I have had no problem with slipping straight back into UK life, though I have to keep checking the money after using Kiwi, then US for some time...I forgot what some of the Brit noted look like as they changed the design on one or two.....though I just keep £10's now as I do recognise them easily.......

The weather is great for Feb....sunny and crisp, with just a little damp yesterday. I'm looking for a car to get me mobile, but meanwhile have plans for friends to pick me up and take me out etc. Everyone is glad to see me back, and I appreciate their company a lot more since I haven't experience it in some time.

I'm sure everyone returning to the UK will have few problems, all the best, Rich.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:31 am
Merlot

Default Homeward Bound

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
Hi all,

Yes...a massive sigh of reilief arriving back in the UK. I'm not the best fan of flying...I particularly dislike the take off.....oh and the landing....oh, and the bit in the middle

Anyway, although I enjoyed the USA and time with my Brother, it was good to get back to the UK. United Airlines and Lufthansa trashed my case, but Air NZ had already broken the feet off it (or that may have been UA too), so I'm throwing it away as soon as it's empty. It's a small price to pay...the security checks were a lot more stringent and that causes a bit more aggro for the cases to be put through.....hence the damage.

I have avoided the news as much as possible and the media, but the Sydney riots were pointed out to me despite my avoidance....so it just shows that it ain't all roses on the underside of the planet either.

I've decided on a policy of looking out of the window across the fields as my basis for gauging life in the UK rather than the media.

I have had no problem with slipping straight back into UK life, though I have to keep checking the money after using Kiwi, then US for some time...I forgot what some of the Brit noted look like as they changed the design on one or two.....though I just keep £10's now as I do recognise them easily.......

The weather is great for Feb....sunny and crisp, with just a little damp yesterday. I'm looking for a car to get me mobile, but meanwhile have plans for friends to pick me up and take me out etc. Everyone is glad to see me back, and I appreciate their company a lot more since I haven't experience it in some time.

I'm sure everyone returning to the UK will have few problems, all the best, Rich.
Fab way of looking at life Rich

I too will avoid the media, I try too here also as it can just be a big pain in the jack!!!!

I laughed at the Sky News from London today as Francis the weather man must have said the words "grey" and "gloomy" at least 5 times. Is this why the Brits struggle to feel too happy on a morning!?

I know for a fact I will feel VERY strange when I finally get back as it has been a massive journey. Currently 5 weeks away, reasonably organised but getting over telling people the same story of why I am going back, la de da - drives you a bit cooky! Everyone here NOW wants a piece of you before you go and all expect to see us on the day before we fly! They can all bog off!

Rich I don't like flying either but it has to be done, I will burst into tears at Heathrow once I have collected the cat and all our worldy possessions (not much I can tell you - 12 boxes) and probably think "What the hell have I done?", but I know it is the right decision.

Anyways good luck mate and keep us all posted, you are our inspiration at this moment in time!!!!

Cheers and all the best
Merlot

Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:50 am
jat
BE Enthusiast

jat is an unknown quantity at this point

guitar doctoer - dont go away - let us know how your doing

all the best of luck in uk
Old Feb 18th 2004, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

Do those of you who have returned to the UK ever get that sinking feeling that you made a mistake? After the excitement of packing up and flying back, do you ever catch your breath and think, well, it wasn't so bad in expat land after all?
Old Feb 18th 2004, 8:44 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold
Default Update

Hey there again all.....Thanks for the support.....

I don't know which part of the UK is grey and damp....it's nice and sunny here with blue sky and no clouds......in fact, I have had to move the laptop to avoid glare !! The weather isn't that important to me anyway in reality, so I'm not fussed what it does as long as I have the right clothing to wear !! I'd rather be cold than hot...you can always put warmer clothes on and go out...when you're near naked and still hot, what can you do but sit in an ice bath all day?

It's really cool to be near friends again, and as luck / friends would have it, I am already in demand for repairing guitars once again !!! Back 3 days and work lined up....can't be bad. All this before I have even updated my website www.theguitardoctor.co.uk to inform people of my return....job for today, that one. Family are really pleased to see me too, which is cool.

Despite my best attempts to avoid the media, I have caught one or 2 things such as the open EU policy for Eastern block immigrants...you know what? I couldn't care less...and I aim to keep it that way until it actually affects me directly. And if it does begin to affect me, I'll find a way to make sure it's effects are limited. It's certainly easier to deal with things that way and have all the upsides of a manageable climate, a good, healthy business, friends and family close to and the knowleadge of a nice cold, dark Christmas 2004 just the way it should be. I think the present Govt's time in office is towards and end anyway, so if half of this stuff ever makes it through, is to be seen.

I also find that breaking taxes and costs down to a daily amount helps put things into perspective....TV licence £140....about 40p a day then...price of a newspaper. Car tax £190...less than £1 a day and I don't have to pay road tolls anywhere (one stretch of M6 is toll if you use it, but I don't have to)....etc etc. Sure people will bitch that we shouldn't pay these taxes, but I'd rather have an empty bin, semi decent roads (driven in the US lately????), a free health service, free doctor visits, prepaid prescription certificates etc than have to pay seperately for all these things. Sure, some are going to be more affected than others, but for me, the UK is not such a bad place to be based.....though I went to NZ as a way to expand my business and possibly gain a different lifestyle....I just didn't count on things going the way they did. Being forced to come back wasn't a plan, but then I don't have to see it as a worst case scenario, as the time away made me appreciate what is here in the UK.

The glass doesn't have to be half empty in the UK, it can also be half full.....you just have to think it that way.

all the best, Rich.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 9:03 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

Hi Guitardoctor

Good to see your safely back in the UK.

One question about your flight with UA and Lufthansa. We took exactly the same option as we wanted to return via West Coast of the US. The seats were good value as well.

But we were never given the option to book our seats in advance and ended up on both legs with the middle two of the four at the back on the first leg. The second leg to the UK we checked in very early to try and avoid the same again and found we could'nt even sit together. The yanks, canadians, brits all seemed to be able to reserve their seats and talking to people in the UK they seem surprised that this was'nt an option for us to as it is fairly typical these days.

Just wondered if you had the same problem or were able to book as well.

Hi all,

Old Feb 19th 2004, 3:10 am
Life's next chapter is?

Originally posted by dugongs
Hi Guitardoctor

Good to see your safely back in the UK.

One question about your flight with UA and Lufthansa. We took exactly the same option as we wanted to return via West Coast of the US. The seats were good value as well.

But we were never given the option to book our seats in advance and ended up on both legs with the middle two of the four at the back on the first leg. The second leg to the UK we checked in very early to try and avoid the same again and found we could'nt even sit together. The yanks, canadians, brits all seemed to be able to reserve their seats and talking to people in the UK they seem surprised that this was'nt an option for us to as it is fairly typical these days.

Just wondered if you had the same problem or were able to book as well.
Hi Dugongs...

I was able to book an aisle seat from Wellington to Auckland, then Auckland to LA all the way from the Flight Centre in NZ, although I ended up on a middle seat for a couple of the UA flights within the USA.....I think it's limited to UA, because as soon as I joined Lufthansa I got my aisle seat again......

Not being a keen flyer and concerned over a repeat of 9-11, I opted for the aisle seat, figuring I could break the seat tray off and inflict some damage to any would be hijacker, rather than sit and wait to meet my maker...call me paranoid (I know I am ), but that's what I was thinking at the time.......shit, they let people like me roam freely too....:scared:

all the best, Rich.
Old Feb 19th 2004, 9:58 am
Merlot

Default Re: Update

Hey there again all.....Thanks for the support.....
all the best, Rich.
Love your approach to life, going to take it that way on my return. Have ever thought of becoming a Doctor? Dr Rich sounds quite the ticket! You have a way of making life sound sooooo simple! As we know, life is, it is just that we can make it complicated!!!!!

Yesterday I was getting scared about going back, feeling like that it would be a “bump� then nothing but today watched 5 minutes of Sky News from London (only do it to see the weather on the news clips) and there was a protest but the weather looked gorgeous – clear skies, sunny and everyone rugged up – perfect! Happy, happy, happy .......

Less than 5 weeks and still crapping flying too . . . have a hypno CD thingy which is working!

More packing to do . . . . boring

Best luck Rich, about to check out your website . . . shame I don't play the guitar!

M

Old Feb 19th 2004, 10:25 am
Life's next chapter is?

Originally posted by Merlot
Love your approach to life, going to take it that way on my return. Have ever thought of becoming a Doctor? Dr Rich sounds quite the ticket! You have a way of making life sound sooooo simple! As we know, life is, it is just that we can make it complicated!!!!!

Yesterday I was getting scared about going back, feeling like that it would be a “bump� then nothing but today watched 5 minutes of Sky News from London (only do it to see the weather on the news clips) and there was a protest but the weather looked gorgeous – clear skies, sunny and everyone rugged up – perfect! Happy, happy, happy .......

Less than 5 weeks and still crapping flying too . . . have a hypno CD thingy which is working!

More packing to do . . . . boring

Best luck Rich, about to check out your website . . . shame I don't play the guitar!

M
Hi Merlot,

Yup, you can make life simple by making sure it doesn't become complicated.......it's good to have a positive outlook again.

As for flying, I find medication helps, rather than a CD.....plus tablets are a lot easier to swallow.....

Excuse the website...I did all the prep work, but I haven't uploaded all the new stuff yet as I need to compress some of the images......maybe tomorrow, but I have a couple of repairs to do !!

Dont worry about the trip back....it won't be so bad.

Good luck, Rich.
Old Feb 19th 2004, 10:29 am
Merlot

I need to compress some of the images......
Sounds painful!

M

Old Feb 19th 2004, 10:35 am
Life's next chapter is?

Originally posted by Merlot
Sounds painful!

M

Rich
Old Feb 19th 2004, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Default Lucky Bleeders!!!

Please may I suggest that everyone heading back to U.K. will in between their jubilation visit this site with comments to help others pluck up resolve. Not that it's lacking here.

Best wishes
Old Feb 19th 2004, 4:46 pm
jat
BE Enthusiast

jat is an unknown quantity at this point

gezza - what do you mean?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.