Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Back 6 months and life is good!

Wikiposts

Back 6 months and life is good!

Old May 12th 2013, 6:20 pm
Heart of England

LooseChippings is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Back 6 months and life is good!

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Glad that it's good for you now after an initial settling period.

I thought a washing machine taking four hours to run through a wash cycle was normal in Britain !

The washing machine I have here in NZ does the same job on the same load of laundry, in cold water in forty minutes for the same end result !

Just what the heck was my old UK washing machine doing for all that time ?

The laundry is just as clean being washed in cold water and saves the expense of heating the water. That's my opinion, don't want to divert this thread into a washing machine debate !
The washing machine is [I]resting! No kidding. It locks the door on you, turns a couple of times, takes a tea break, turns, rests, adds a teaspoon of water, then stops for a full lunch break after a few minutes. All in the sacred goal of offering the highest energy ratings and using the least water (but the maximum amount of your time). So I defiantly use the 'daily quickie' cycle - only 40 mins for max 2kg of laundry.
Old May 12th 2013, 6:34 pm
Heart of England

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
Anyway, I can't wait to move back this year although I think a couple of my peeves will be silly Sunday trading hours and having to pay to park almost everywhere, but I believe that being there and loving the fact I can get Heinz Vegetable soup and M&S food rather than drooling about it will make up for any other little niggles I may have
Sunday trading is silly - our little village shop opens quite early, but on Sunday I had to wait at the counter watching the clock until precisely 10 am to buy newspaper, milk and a bottle of wine. Don't know if that still applies to matches and candles.
Re food, I love to indulge in unlimited quantities of Branston and Almond slices - (not together).
Old May 13th 2013, 1:58 am
Account Closed

treasuredr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
I always love to hear how folk get on when they move back after such a long time, and I'm happy when they're glad to have done so

As to the ridiculous slowness of washing machines, why are they sooooo slow I wonder? I don't remember it being that way when I lived there 17 years ago. Also, I can't fathom why they are cold water fill only, it would surely speed things up if the water was hot going into the machine?

Anyway, I can't wait to move back this year although I think a couple of my peeves will be silly Sunday trading hours and having to pay to park almost everywhere, but I believe that being there and loving the fact I can get Heinz Vegetable soup and M&S food rather than drooling about it will make up for any other little niggles I may have

UK washing machines I could live with, but parking in the UK, no way!! Things had become so bad where I lived in Caversham that you couldn't park anywhere anymore without either paying or having to watch the clock to make sure you got back to the car within your alloted time. I went back for a visit in September last year and although I enjoyed the fish and chips, great restaurants and M&S etc., it would never compensate for the lack of stress having a car here gives me.
Old May 13th 2013, 2:15 am
Heart of England

Agreed, you have to organise shopping like a military campaign, stopwatch in hand. I think that's why everyone's shopping online and the high streets are struggling.
Old May 13th 2013, 7:54 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LooseChippings
Agreed, you have to organise shopping like a military campaign, stopwatch in hand. I think that's why everyone's shopping online and the high streets are struggling.
Whilst I agree with that, I accept it comes with the territory when shopping in Britain. Yes parking rates are exorbitant. However, I use the, 'time up' feeling of getting back to the car before my paid parking expires as a budgeting tool !

I guess, being British, I get a smug sense of satisfaction knowing that I've found free inner city parking while the shops are open. Or I've parked in a free supermarket car park, bought something in the supermarket to justify leaving the car there, well, sometimes anyway ! Then visited other shops.

Or confirming, every time I go to the local theatre, that the parking is free after 5pm.

Let's just agree it's a, 'culture clash' between shopping in Britain and shopping in America and leave it at that !
Old May 13th 2013, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

I'm probably going to get berated for this but I actually prefer the washing machines here. Yes they do take ages but I run mine overnight....it's cheaper!! I also like that it heats up the water so I can actually boil wash things at 95 degrees instead of the hottest wash being whatever the temp the water comes in from the tap. For every day stuff I wash 40 degrees on quick cycle.

Yes paying for parking everywhere is stoooooopid!!!!!! No wonder the high streets are empty!!!
Old May 13th 2013, 9:40 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britwhore
I'm probably going to get berated for this but I actually prefer the washing machines here. Yes they do take ages but I run mine overnight....it's cheaper!! I also like that it heats up the water so I can actually boil wash things at 95 degrees instead of the hottest wash being whatever the temp the water comes in from the tap. For every day stuff I wash 40 degrees on quick cycle.

Yes paying for parking everywhere is stoooooopid!!!!!! No wonder the high streets are empty!!!
I find this a bit baffling. Why are they complaining that high streets are empty if they can do something about it.
Make the parking charge really cheap or free and people will shop longer and more often.
I remember having to run into town with my mother for something, we were lucky that someone was leaving the expensive car park and handed us her all day ticket it still had a couple of hours left on it. We were in town for all of 20 minutes then handed it to a nice older lady who was parking. I know they don't really allow that, but if you have to pay for an hour at the least and everyone stays 20 minutes they have been paid three times for that hour. That is plain greedy.
Old May 15th 2013, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

I know. I don't understand it either.
Old May 15th 2013, 6:48 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

You guys all need to have moved from New York ;-) Then you'd be saying "wow, look how cheap the parking is!"

One thing I love is how in lots of towns and villages there's a public toilet in the town centre car park. (It's the small things that make me happy).
Old May 16th 2013, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
You guys all need to have moved from New York ;-) Then you'd be saying "wow, look how cheap the parking is!"

One thing I love is how in lots of towns and villages there's a public toilet in the town centre car park. (It's the small things that make me happy).
So instead of saying I need to spend a penny, you now say I need to spend £2 (for parking)