Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

BA 777 Crash-Lands At Heathrow

Wikiposts

BA 777 Crash-Lands At Heathrow

Old Jan 18th 2008, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BA 777 Crash-Lands At Heathrow

Originally Posted by dukeynorton
The best quote about this whole story though was "....the pilot deserves a medal the size of a frying pan" haha only in the UK.
I heard that one, loved it. So Brit.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by snowbunny
total loss of power on a triple-seven.... do you fly on that equipment? Traffic at Heathrow backed up with likely some spillover delay elsewhere.

Maybe AirBus will pick up some sales? (anyone remember the guy who was absolutely convinced that the AirBus heavy's habit of losing its tail was no big deal?)
Wasn't total lose of power...the engines had power but wouldnt not produce more when need so therefore its fell short of the runway. BBCA have just said that the fly by wire throttle system is suspected not the engines.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by basementwaj
ha ha, i love it when Americans say things like "off the chain"
What does it mean?
Old Jan 18th 2008, 4:30 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Wasn't total lose of power...the engines had power but wouldnt not produce more when need so therefore its fell short of the runway. BBCA have just said that the fly by wire throttle system is suspected not the engines.
ah.... my brother was raving on about the fly-by-wire throttle control and the need to keep up power as your air speed bleeds down.... which is why you hear the engines rev and slow, rev and slow when landing. (He was just out of surgery and loopy from general anaesthesia and surgery on his spine -- herniated disk between L5-S1.) He said he would have shat himself if he pushed the throttle button and nothing happened as apparently the manual linkage isn't very good.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 6:20 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
What does it mean?
It means freakin' bloody fantastic! Woohoo!
Old Jan 18th 2008, 6:39 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
ah.... my brother was raving on about the fly-by-wire throttle control and the need to keep up power as your air speed bleeds down.... which is why you hear the engines rev and slow, rev and slow when landing. (He was just out of surgery and loopy from general anaesthesia and surgery on his spine -- herniated disk between L5-S1.) He said he would have shat himself if he pushed the throttle button and nothing happened as apparently the manual linkage isn't very good.
Ummm....when does this exactly happen? I only hear the engines rev right after we touch down as they go into reverse thrusters. Usually I hear the engines go a bit quieter due to noise abatement procedures that are practiced. Towards the middle or later part of descent I normally hear the engines go up and then decrease as the jet is forced into it's glide slope, or final approach to the runway. Toward the end I hear a high pitched whining of the wings increasing their surface area, otherwise known as camber, to compensate for the lower flight speeds. That's why the wing looks big upon landing. It also serves as a spoiler when the aircraft lands. Right when the plane lands there's usually a couple seconds and then you hear the jets rev up but in reverse. It's pretty cool to hear all that technology going to work in stopping a plane.

Sorry for the rambling. I get a little excited when planes are discussed.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 7:37 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I shall get my brother to ramble more coherently -- but I myself remember the engine thrust being intermittent just before landing quite apart from the movement of the control surfaces and the reverse thrust after landing.

I logged a lot of miles before developing panic attacks on planes and would be happiest if I were flying! I can fly with my brother but we can never tell our mother or she'd yell about having all her chicks in one basket.

must....sleep....
Old Jan 19th 2008, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
It means freakin' bloody fantastic! Woohoo!
yeah baby, you da bomb
Old Jan 19th 2008, 7:25 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: BA 777 Crash-Lands At Heathrow

Who's been on a plane and observed a large number of passengers clapping when it has landed?

I've been on many flights in many countries and I've only ever noticed this phenomenon with American passengers. (They also do this in cinemas sometimes as well....)
Old Jan 19th 2008, 7:31 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Who's been on a plane and observed a large number of passengers clapping when it has landed?

I've been on many flights in many countries and I've only ever noticed this phenomenon with American passengers. (They also do this in cinemas sometimes as well....)
I've never noticed it with domestic flights but on a flight from Atlanta to Puerto Rico everyone clapped upon landing. The flight landed at 3 am and there were thousands of people at the airport -- ten relatives for every passenger! I'll always remember that flight.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 7:35 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

yes and (for some reason I can't really explain) I think it's really daft
Old Jan 19th 2008, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
yes and (for some reason I can't really explain) I think it's really daft
Very naff.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 8:12 am
Riding on silver wings

I am a frequent flier, or better yet have lost count of the times that I've flown, and this usually depends on whether the flight is a difficult one. There are flights that I've been on where the plane is yawing like crazy from left to right and it's landing in a cross wind. That's usually the test of a pilots skill in landing an aircraft. I definitely clap for the pilot in support of him, or HER, and in a way giving thanks to him for landing the bird. As they say, a good flight is one that lands.

There are other flights that are uneventful and there usually is no applause. Thats the norm usually. Even if there's some turbulence going down.

FYI....I LOVE turbulence. I'm the one in the plane that gets the giggles from it as opposed to getting a panic attack. The more the better. It's really cool when the plan deconflicts with another and has to go to a higher altitude or if it needs to avoid windshear. Oh yeah baby! Shake, rattle, and roll!