Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Avoiding overseas student fees

Avoiding overseas student fees

Old Oct 24th 2006, 5:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Avoiding overseas student fees

Originally Posted by helinuk
Now our daughter is taking A levels next June and wants to take a gap yr. If we move to NZ with PR visa next July would she be able to live in uk go to uni and pay uk fees?(She'd be 19, could she be regarded as resident as she and we have lived here for last 4 yrs) Or would we be better off persuading her to find a uni course in NZ.
If she's racked up the 3 year residency requirement in the UK on her own, she'd be all set....if she didn't get NZ PR and just went traveling with you guys, she'd be all set, but if she got PR, she'd be flucked.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Ooops Helen, sorry for hi-jacking your thread - as you know we met each other in Singapore with our children attending Tanglin Trust School. So you're not now going to the Melbourne area and going to NZ instead? How come?

For what it's worth I think that one's offspring are deemed to be 'independent' for academic purposes from the age of 21?

Our daughter chose not to come to the US with us just after taking her IGCSE's and went to boarding school in Oxford for her 'A' levels. She then took a Gap Year so her three years of residence counted (even though she spent half of the year in India and Nepal). In your case I think your daughter would be fine for UK fees purposes....she could have your daughter put a grandparent's or uncle/aunt's address on her application form to state that she is living with them.

My son is 18 this weekend (a non-event in the US apparently) but sadly seems to show no interest in going to the UK for college....he's spent two-thirds of his life in SE Asia and the US so feels no connection to Blighty, which makes me very sad....and of course tuition fees are far, far higher in the US than anywhere else in the world from what I can tell
Hello
long time since we chatted.
Thanks for info. My daughter doesn't turn 18 till April. (son will be 21 in Jan! )oh where do the yrs go?!I'll PM re OZ v nz.
Helen
Old Oct 24th 2006, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If she's racked up the 3 year residency requirement in the UK on her own, she'd be all set....if she didn't get NZ PR and just went traveling with you guys, she'd be all set, but if she got PR, she'd be flucked.
thanks for this- oh good grief -this puts the cat amongst the pigeons!We were going to put her on our application for PR. Would this apply to son who will be in 3rd yr of uni-? if he gets PR he's stuffed too?
Old Oct 24th 2006, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

English mum you have a full pm box! I can't send you a PM!
Old Oct 24th 2006, 5:49 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

English mum you have a full pm box! I can't send you a PM!
OK...cleared some of them off now!
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

... Would this apply to son who will be in 3rd yr of uni-? if he gets PR he's stuffed too?
if he's already in the UK and racking up the residence requirement and paying UK fee's, he's unlikely to suddenly get the fee knocked up.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
if he's already in the UK and racking up the residence requirement and paying UK fee's, he's unlikely to suddenly get the fee knocked up.
Bob thank you for your help- (phew spent a restless night thinking we wouldn't be able to put son on visa.)
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 4:15 pm
Flames Fan

Adge has much to be proud ofAdge has much to be proud ofAdge has much to be proud ofAdge has much to be proud ofAdge has much to be proud ofAdge has much to be proud ofAdge has much to be proud ofAdge has much to be proud ofAdge has much to be proud ofAdge has much to be proud ofAdge has much to be proud of

This is pretty confusing, can anybody advise me ?

Here is my situation:
We emmigrated to Canada in 1999, but will be returning to England next year on a permanent basis.
My daughter is 18 and is in her first year at the University Of Calgary.
She would like to go to University in the UK.
Clearly we do not meet the 3 year residence requirement, however, I still pay income tax in the UK and have done ever since we left in 1999 .
Does the fact that I have been paying tax there make any difference.
(This is tax on an income - not tax on an investment)
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 4:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Adge
Does the fact that I have been paying tax there make any difference.
(This is tax on an income - not tax on an investment)
no, it doesn't, it is a residence requirement...she could probably transfer her credits without much trouble, but she'll be paying international fee's i'm afraid.