Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Avoiding overseas student fees

Avoiding overseas student fees

Old Oct 17th 2006, 12:59 am
Just Joined

katie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Avoiding overseas student fees

This is my first post on this board, have to say it's been great reading through all the posts! This post has me slightly worried though because I too was hoping to go back to the UK for uni. I got 3 A's at A-level and then took some time out to travel, moving back to the Uk in 2005 only to move to America in 2006 to be with my hubby who is studying at a uni here (he is a US citizen.) I've got a pending GC but we always wanted to move back to the UK for me to study. I'll have to pay out of state fees if I go to uni here and international fees if I go back to the Uk, just doesn't seem fair. I'm so glad I read this post, I was under the naive impression that as a UK citizen i would just pay the basic rate whenever we moved back. It has certainly given me and my hubby some food for thought!!

Katie
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, it's a bugger....but depending on which state and uni, as a greencard holder, you might not have to pay international rates, certainly if you've been resident in that state for a year, so you might pay out of state/international rate for that first year, but then you'd pay local rate.

Another thought, going travelling, that's only a temporary thing away from the UK and wouldn't count against you, but if you stay here long enough to get US citizenship, you'll be out of luck, and going through the hassle of getting the greencard, it's a bit impractical to head back to blighty...but depending on what you want to study, you might consider an e-learning course....pretty cheap, the missus is doing her masters through Kings college London on war on the modern world, about £3K a year, which is a bargain for a top rated masters compared to what she would have to pay in the US.

Anyway, welcome to the forums, and go introduce yourself in the US meet and greet

Originally Posted by katie_UK
This is my first post on this board, have to say it's been great reading through all the posts! This post has me slightly worried though because I too was hoping to go back to the UK for uni. I got 3 A's at A-level and then took some time out to travel, moving back to the Uk in 2005 only to move to America in 2006 to be with my hubby who is studying at a uni here (he is a US citizen.) I've got a pending GC but we always wanted to move back to the UK for me to study. I'll have to pay out of state fees if I go to uni here and international fees if I go back to the Uk, just doesn't seem fair. I'm so glad I read this post, I was under the naive impression that as a UK citizen i would just pay the basic rate whenever we moved back. It has certainly given me and my hubby some food for thought!!

Katie
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:26 am
Just Joined

katie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of lightkatie_UK is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the reply there Bob, never thought about an e-learning course, gives me and the hubby plenty to talk about when he gets home from work. If it wasn't for resources such as this forum I would have been none the wiser until the time came when I would apply for uni. I'll definitely go introduce myself in the US section. My friend is just about to finish a course on War Studies at Kings College London, I hope your wife is enjoying her doing her masters with them.

Katie
Old Oct 17th 2006, 1:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

..My friend is just about to finish a course on War Studies at Kings College London, I hope your wife is enjoying her doing her masters with them.
That's cool

And yeah, she loves it, though there's one muppet that she had to do a paper with out on the west coast, but never responded...he's an ex-marine, now a lawyer, so she left him with the military stuff while she discussed the politics...and it's way over my head *lol*...and what's really fun, she has a proper student id so can use the facilities, if we're ever in London...would love to get a Kings jersey, but no idea if they ship abroad, or how much shipping is *lol*
Old Oct 17th 2006, 2:05 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Katie

I think the rules are different in England and Scotland, but generally it seems to be that if you are just moving back to study then you will have to pay international fees. In Scotland if you have been a Scottish resident all your life and just left for a while (the visa you travelled on and whether or not you got citizenship in the new country don;t seem to matter) and are moving back anyway, then after a year you will get your uni fees paid for you.

I am not familiar with the system in England though. Good luck

Mel

Katie
Old Oct 17th 2006, 2:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Yup, Scotland is the exception to the rest of the UK.

Originally Posted by mika24me

I think the rules are different in England and Scotland, but generally it seems to be that if you are just moving back to study then you will have to pay international fees....
Old Oct 17th 2006, 2:31 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
Yup, Scotland is the exception to the rest of the UK.
Thanks goodness that is where I hail from and intend to return to!
Old Oct 17th 2006, 2:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mika24me
Hi Katie

I think the rules are different in England and Scotland, but generally it seems to be that if you are just moving back to study then you will have to pay international fees. In Scotland if you have been a Scottish resident all your life and just left for a while (the visa you travelled on and whether or not you got citizenship in the new country don;t seem to matter) and are moving back anyway, then after a year you will get your uni fees paid for you.

I am not familiar with the system in England though. Good luck

Mel
Thanks Mel! I'm new to this replying to a post thing so I hope it quoted it Ok. When we move back to England it'll definitely be for the long term, so it won't just be for studying so who knows what i'll qualify as then. In the mean time I've been thinking about maybe just starting here, but I want to be a primary school teacher (finally finally decided what to do) and if I start here I don't know how it will translate when we decide to move back to England. Does anyone else ever feel overwhelmed with the amount of possibilities there are? I hope I'm not alone on that one!

Katie
Old Oct 17th 2006, 2:52 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mel! I'm new to this replying to a post thing so I hope it quoted it Ok. When we move back to England it'll definitely be for the long term, so it won't just be for studying so who knows what i'll qualify as then. In the mean time I've been thinking about maybe just starting here, but I want to be a primary school teacher (finally finally decided what to do) and if I start here I don't know how it will translate when we decide to move back to England. Does anyone else ever feel overwhelmed with the amount of possibilities there are? I hope I'm not alone on that one!

Katie
If your aim is to return to the UK, I would definitely check whether any US qualifications would be transferable before investing time and money here.

Alternatively, there is the Open University:

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/class..._training.shtm

Good luck!
Old Oct 17th 2006, 3:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Elvira
If your aim is to return to the UK, I would definitely check whether any US qualifications would be transferable before investing time and money here.

Alternatively, there is the Open University:

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/class..._training.shtm

Good luck!
Thanks for the info! I still can't believe just 2 hours ago I never knew any of this and thought it would just be so easy to move back, go to uni for a reasonable price etc. I'm glad you guys opened my eyes! I'm gonna have a long chat with the hubby and see what we shoul plan for, seeing as we've applied for the GC i might as well wait to get it and stay for a while, who knows in a few years I might never wanna go back to England

Katie
Old Oct 18th 2006, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused by this thread. If you were born in the Scotland and your parents moved you at the age of 10 to another country, if you moved back at the age of 18 or 22 to continue your education, you can claim it was a temporary absence and therefore avoid the 3 yr rule?

From the poster name Jockomalay, he appears to be from Malaysia (he doesn't say where he is) and the other poster mika24me is returning from Australia. On the British council website, there does appear to be exceptions to the 3 yr rule for certain countries of the commonwealth, so I am wondering if this exception just applies because of that.

I hope its true because my eldest would love to move back to Scotland once she has completed her degree for her masters but is put off by the cost of the international fees. If she just had to work for a year rather than 3, it would certainly be attractive option for her.

She was 15 when we moved here and still bitterly regrets she was denied the opportunity to study in Scotland because of the residency rules. She see her friends graduating this year and next, comparing her degree and experiences with theirs. They seem to be having much more fun and much clearer course than she has.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 4:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Scotland has there own rules which are different to the rest of the UK, they don't have the 3 year requirement.

Originally Posted by jjmb
I'm confused by this thread. If you were born in the Scotland and your parents moved you at the age of 10 to another country, if you moved back at the age of 18 or 22 to continue your education, you can claim it was a temporary absence and therefore avoid the 3 yr rule?

From the poster name Jockomalay, he appears to be from Malaysia (he doesn't say where he is) and the other poster mika24me is returning from Australia. On the British council website, there does appear to be exceptions to the 3 yr rule for certain countries of the commonwealth, so I am wondering if this exception just applies because of that.

I hope its true because my eldest would love to move back to Scotland once she has completed her degree for her masters but is put off by the cost of the international fees. If she just had to work for a year rather than 3, it would certainly be attractive option for her.

She was 15 when we moved here and still bitterly regrets she was denied the opportunity to study in Scotland because of the residency rules. She see her friends graduating this year and next, comparing her degree and experiences with theirs. They seem to be having much more fun and much clearer course than she has.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 9:55 pm
Hussy

Originally Posted by Bob
Scotland has there own rules which are different to the rest of the UK, they don't have the 3 year requirement.
As I understand it, Scotland do have the three year requirement, unless you have lived in Scotland most of your life, and retained links to Scotland in your absence (such as a bank account or property) as that proves you always intended to come back.

I still have to be resident for one year before getting my education funding.

Any questions about funding in Scotland can be referred to the Student Awards Agency for Scotland on + 61 845 111 1711

Mel
Old Oct 19th 2006, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

tommyheaven will become famous soon enough

Am I the only one here who finds this quite distasteful. Why don't you send your child to a university in your chosen country. Why should you be entitled to better treatment when you have paid no UK income or council tax for quite some years. Tax on investments is just not the same. The UK is part of the EU and as such there are special rules, but I really find it hard to see how hard faced some people can be, in expecting something for nothing.
I'm sorry if this seems harsh but its the way I feel.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 9:21 pm
Hussy

Originally Posted by tommyheaven
Am I the only one here who finds this quite distasteful. Why don't you send your child to a university in your chosen country. Why should you be entitled to better treatment when you have paid no UK income or council tax for quite some years. Tax on investments is just not the same. The UK is part of the EU and as such there are special rules, but I really find it hard to see how hard faced some people can be, in expecting something for nothing.
I'm sorry if this seems harsh but its the way I feel.
In my defence, I lived in Scotland for 23 years, and only lived in Australia for 3. I intend to live in Scotland permenantly. Why should I be penalised for having lived overseas for 3 measly years? I would not be penalised had I been three years younger, yet I would have paid the same amount of tax over my lifetime.

Mel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.