Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Avoiding overseas student fees

Avoiding overseas student fees

Old Apr 28th 2006, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

cat22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Avoiding overseas student fees

I think it is the residency of the student that counts. My partner's parents went to Australia in the August before he started his degree, and have not lived in the UK since. The LEA asked whether my partner had been resident in the last 3 years on the intial form. When his parents moved 4 years ago he moved to his aunts, and that was his home address. He stayed mostly at uni though, and gave his uni address as the contact address. Every year the LEA reassess you, and every year his parents were in australia, and they were been fine about that. They convert the salarys from dollars to pounds etc. So I think all that matters is the residency of the (prospective) student. My partner was 20 when he went to uni though so I dont know if being over 18 makes a difference.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 6:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
I understand that a residency requirement does deter education tourism; however, if you paid taxes in the UK for X many years, as I did, I feel aggrieved that I have to pay fees for my kids when it wasn't my choice to get stuck overseas in the first place!
If you were posted abroad on a temporary basis for work etc, then that won't count against you.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 6:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cat22
I think it is the residency of the student that counts. My partner's parents went to Australia in the August before he started his degree, and have not lived in the UK since. The LEA asked whether my partner had been resident in the last 3 years on the intial form. When his parents moved 4 years ago he moved to his aunts, and that was his home address. He stayed mostly at uni though, and gave his uni address as the contact address. Every year the LEA reassess you, and every year his parents were in australia, and they were been fine about that. They convert the salarys from dollars to pounds etc. So I think all that matters is the residency of the (prospective) student. My partner was 20 when he went to uni though so I dont know if being over 18 makes a difference.
That's true, once the person is over 16, it is that person who they take residency from, not necessarily the parents
Old Apr 28th 2006, 9:11 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If you were posted abroad on a temporary basis for work etc, then that won't count against you.
Unfortunately not an option I can exercise. LEA in UK are "reviewing" my case to see if they can waive the fees, given the circumstances under which I have been kept here. A Sixth Form college were happy to grant home student status...Universities, however, are less than willing to give up International £'s.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

miss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant future

What really annoys me , & I am sure that this will apply to a lot of people, is that I am STILL paying taxes in the UK as we've left all our life savings there (knowing we were going to be going back eventually) yet despite this my kids are not eligible to be educated.

For anyone else's info I have heard of people who have made their employers agree to cover the 'gap' between home & overseas university fees as part of their ex-pat package - something to bear in mind when negotiating terms ( we couldn't do as it we're employed on a local terms & conditions packege here ).
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by miss piggy
What really annoys me , & I am sure that this will apply to a lot of people, is that I am STILL paying taxes in the UK as we've left all our life savings there (knowing we were going to be going back eventually) yet despite this my kids are not eligible to be educated.
As an ex-pat, why are you still paying UK taxes?
Old Apr 28th 2006, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

miss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant future

Up until very recently we've had rental income on our house.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miss piggy
That's why we wondered whether having a UK address/paying UK council taxes etc would make any difference - or whether the LEA's actually count the number of days you've been in the UK ?
I'm an Aussie (and Brit) studying Med in the UK. I agree with most things posted here.

I would however like to point out one thing...(without having a holier than though attitude - I promise!). Be very careful about any potential 'semi- dodgy" information such as claiming residency due to council tax payments etc. If incorrect (or not-quite-right) info is included on med school/UCAS application forms, it is grounds for a uni to retract an offer or boot out student.

Fudging/lying by doctors - even potential ones - is considered inappropriate behaviour by the GMC, as well as colleagues and the general public.

Feel free to pm me about courses etc.
Old Apr 29th 2006, 1:04 am
Just Joined

shauninoz has a brilliant futureshauninoz has a brilliant futureshauninoz has a brilliant futureshauninoz has a brilliant futureshauninoz has a brilliant futureshauninoz has a brilliant futureshauninoz has a brilliant futureshauninoz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bob
You've also got to consider that there are a large number of UK citizens that have never set foot in the UK, so would hardly be fair for them to come over for free education just because there parents were citizens and that is how they got it, and never paid taxes...the whole residency is pretty fair, though perhaps 2 years would be better than 3...
I've lived in England for 25 years and paid tax since the age of 16. I chose to come over here (Aus) to experience something different for a couple of years. I now find that when I return to the UK i have to pay overseas fees??!! A German citizen who has NEVER lived in the UK can live in Germany their whole life and get home fees! How is this fair?

If you are a citizen of the UK you should get citizen privileges regardless of how long you've lived there imo. If they have to do a residency test surely one year for citizens (and spouses of citizens) and two years for other perm residents would be a lot fairer?
Old Apr 29th 2006, 1:08 am
Just Joined

shauninoz has a brilliant futureshauninoz has a brilliant futureshauninoz has a brilliant futureshauninoz has a brilliant futureshauninoz has a brilliant futureshauninoz has a brilliant futureshauninoz has a brilliant futureshauninoz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bob
Has anyone done this? I wonder what proof they want? I came to Australia for work but have since got permanent residency...
Old Apr 29th 2006, 1:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by shauninoz
I've lived in England for 25 years and paid tax since the age of 16. I chose to come over here (Aus) to experience something different for a couple of years. I now find that when I return to the UK i have to pay overseas fees??!! A German citizen who has NEVER lived in the UK can live in Germany their whole life and get home fees! How is this fair?
But as a Brit, and if you lived in the UK, you go to any decent French, Dutch, German or Italian uni for free too, and there are good ones there too...
Old Apr 29th 2006, 1:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Has anyone done this? I wonder what proof they want? I came to Australia for work but have since got permanent residency...
there's a few on this forum, but you have to be working for a Brit company that sends you abroad, if you get permanent residency in that country, that proves you ain't a resident of the UK.
Old Apr 29th 2006, 7:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
You've also got to consider that there are a large number of UK citizens that have never set foot in the UK, so would hardly be fair for them to come over for free education just because there parents were citizens and that is how they got it, and never paid taxes...the whole residency is pretty fair, though perhaps 2 years would be better than 3...
It's not free education. It's still £3K a year minimum. I think a fair solution would be to charge a higher fee for people who are Citizens (but who have been away and cant satsify the 3yr requirement) but allow them to take out a low interest loan to pay for their fees. I want to do a teaching course - I cant get a loan to pay for my fees in either Aus or UK this is meaning I cant do this course for a number of years. Its ridiculous.
Old May 1st 2006, 5:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

It's not free education. It's still £3K a year minimum. I think a fair solution would be to charge a higher fee for people who are Citizens (but who have been away and cant satsify the 3yr requirement) but allow them to take out a low interest loan to pay for their fees. I want to do a teaching course - I cant get a loan to pay for my fees in either Aus or UK this is meaning I cant do this course for a number of years. Its ridiculous.
£3K is practically free though considering what the LEA pays up...and you can get low interest student loans, most banks do them for higher education, and there's the shitty SLC, though I don't think they cover mature students anymore.
Old May 1st 2006, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

They do charge a higher fee for UK citizens that don't satisfy the 3yr requirement. They are called international student fees...

The reason they don't allow student loans, is due to the fact some unscrupulous people would complete the course then leave the UK not paying their fees.

When I was in the USA I had to pay all the fees up front before starting each module. No loan there either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.