Australian passport and moving home

Old Sep 9th 2015, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

suzysu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian passport and moving home

Hi all,
I'm moving back to the UK.
My UK passport has expired.
Can I return to the UK using my Australian passport?
Thanks
Old Sep 9th 2015, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

piglet74 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Australian passport and moving home

That shouldn't be a problem.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 1:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzysu
Hi all,
Thanks
Yes.
If you have the expired British one carry it with you as well.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 1:34 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yes.
If you have the expired British one carry it with you as well.
Sorry to break in on someone else's thread, but my question is a bit too trivial to warrant a thread of its own.

British husband has an Australian passport and a British one. He's always used the Oz one on visits home, the British passport is brand new (ie never been used, no stamps).

He wants to start using his British passport after we return to live in the UK, for UK - EU trips. I don't think there's any problem with him using his (brand new) British passport to enter the UK when we return permanently?
Old Sep 11th 2015, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

petrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Sorry to break in on someone else's thread, but my question is a bit too trivial to warrant a thread of its own.

British husband has an Australian passport and a British one. He's always used the Oz one on visits home, the British passport is brand new (ie never been used, no stamps).

He wants to start using his British passport after we return to live in the UK, for UK - EU trips. I don't think there's any problem with him using his (brand new) British passport to enter the UK when we return permanently?
If the UK passport is still current, I can't see there would be any problem. All passports are new at some time! But he should use his British passport to enter the UK, or there may be a query appear in the system. I had this problem when leaving/entering the UK. I can't remember which, but you should always enter and leave a country on the same passport.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 4:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

No, he'll be fine
Old Sep 11th 2015, 6:39 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
Thanks
When did your British passport expire?
Old Sep 12th 2015, 5:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
Thanks
You can, but you will get a stamp in your passport saying it's only valid for a 6 month stay. Heavens knows what will happen after that - whether they will chase you as being an overstayer, whether that means you can't access services like the NHS etc. can you not renew your UK passport and enter on that, much less hassle all round when dealing with bureaucracies.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

the1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
Thanks
My UK passport had expired when I was coming back to the UK last year from Canada and it was at the time when there was a huge backlog in processing passport renewals so I wouldn't have been able to get a new passport in time. I entered the country with my Canadian passport but had my expired UK passport and my birth certificate with me. I was given a six month stay as a Canadian and renewed my UK passport right away.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 8:15 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Generally speaking it is best to enter on a British passport. If your passport has expired then it would at the Immigration Officer's discretion whether to admit you as a British citizen. Personally speaking, unless it was an emergency situation and there was no time, I would be renewing my passport before I flew especially if I was returning permanently. The price, barring the postage costs, is now the same as applying in the UK and the processing times are currently very prompt.

Another factor to consider is that you are now required to prove your immigration status in the UK before opening a bank account, obtaining a driving licence, signing a tenancy agreement or using NHS services so if you have a valid passport before you arrive then you'll be able to hit the ground running.