Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Australia..... why such a slagging ?

Australia..... why such a slagging ?

Old Dec 20th 2006, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Australia..... why such a slagging ?

Originally Posted by northernbird
The thing is people saying Perth is rubbish is very subjective. Personally as you all know I don't find it rubbish but England has nothinig for me anymore so my life is here now.

I have always said that if you like pubs/clubs/decent shopping, travel to oldey worldy cities and villages etc etc and have a close family who you see pretty much all the time and a wide circle of friends then emigration is not for you, let alone the country that is furthest away from "home" and as I have said before has as much culture as the greek yoghurt in my fridge. It is beyond me while people put themselves through it.

We don't always see eye to eye but if you come to Perth on holiday and you need a tour guide then feel free to get in touch. Genuine offer.
I have always been open to giving things a go as the Aussies say,ithink Iwasn't made for this though to be honest.I would have made a rotten first settler!

I miss qualiy shopping but it wasn't my life I do miss my friends and family.Things have got complicated with the eldest bringing a girl from the uk out to get married she doesn't like it here, the middle one is with an Aussie girl she wants to live in Sydney he doesn't and we want to live in the uk! So I we are going to have alook at how things stand in year or two.

I am on the wrong side of 40 and would like to just be if you know what I mean. Thanks for the offer
Old Dec 20th 2006, 6:06 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by by the sea side
Well all i can say is enjoy the green! I bet it's brought out the mozzies
Little barstewards are eating me alive. I am full of bites.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Little barstewards are eating me alive. I am full of bites.
The rotten things.Had an encounter with a large huntsman last week one swipe with a thong an it was over pity you can't do that with mozzies.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 8:07 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of whinges appear on this august forum but I think those who make violent objections to *all* of them need to see the difference between the "Marmite" grouses and the "inefficiency" posts.

There are all sorts of complaints about what are essentially trivial issues like Vegemite, the humidity, spiders, no Tescos and so on, but either they are made with tongue in cheek or by people who really should have done a bit more research before taking the plunge.

But they shouldn't be confused with the "genuine" observations about the *real* problems that abound here in Australia. As another post said, Australians are very good and very vocal at ramming the message home that Australia is the best place in the world, Australian goods are better than anyone else's, etc etc. The truth IMO is that Australia in many respects has a very long way to go before it approaches most of the "developed" world. A few items: (all, of course, IMO!)

Government is breathtakingly corrupt and incompetent for a supposedly first world country.
"Laid back" is in reality "so what - who cares?".
Standards in many areas are so low it's embarrassing, yet virtually every area of life is regulated by Australian standards, rules, regulations, fines, "demerits" and so on. There's none so blind as them as won't see...

I think one of the things that stick out is the fundamental insecurity of the population and the way this shows in the extreme sensitivity to any overt or implied criticism. Australians will go on at some length - and pretty aggressively in some cases - about the failings of all things North of Darwin but are incredibly thinskinned when it comes to having truths pointed out to them.

I've come to the conclusion that America is the "Can do" country, Britain the "Can't do" and Australia the "Won't do". <g>

I can quite understand Arkon's position: he is worn down by the frustrations of life in Australia. I guess that the majority of returnees give up for the same reason. You just have to learn to accept that no-one cares very much about anything, fall into the same lethargy and enjoy the weather* and she'll be right <g>

* And this week our weather, approaching the longest day, is overcast, drizzle and 9'C...........
Old Dec 20th 2006, 8:29 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
There are a lot of whinges appear on this august forum but I think those who make violent objections to *all* of them need to see the difference between the "Marmite" grouses and the "inefficiency" posts.

There are all sorts of complaints about what are essentially trivial issues like Vegemite, the humidity, spiders, no Tescos and so on, but either they are made with tongue in cheek or by people who really should have done a bit more research before taking the plunge.

But they shouldn't be confused with the "genuine" observations about the *real* problems that abound here in Australia. As another post said, Australians are very good and very vocal at ramming the message home that Australia is the best place in the world, Australian goods are better than anyone else's, etc etc. The truth IMO is that Australia in many respects has a very long way to go before it approaches most of the "developed" world. A few items: (all, of course, IMO!)

Government is breathtakingly corrupt and incompetent for a supposedly first world country.
Standards in many areas are so low it's embarrassing, yet virtually every area of life is regulated by Australian standards, rules, regulations, fines, "demerits" and so on. There's none so blind as them as won't see...

I think one of the things that stick out is the fundamental insecurity of the population and the way this shows in the extreme sensitivity to any overt or implied criticism. Australians will go on at some length - and pretty aggressively in some cases - about the failings of all things North of Darwin but are incredibly thinskinned when it comes to having truths pointed out to them.

I've come to the conclusion that America is the "Can do" country, Britain the "Can't do" and Australia the "Won't do". <g>

I can quite understand Arkon's position: he is worn down by the frustrations of life in Australia. I guess that the majority of returnees give up for the same reason. You just have to learn to accept that no-one cares very much about anything, fall into the same lethargy and enjoy the weather* and she'll be right <g>

* And this week our weather, approaching the longest day, is overcast, drizzle and 9'C...........

Bloody brilliant and true post Wol ! have some karma my friend
Old Dec 20th 2006, 8:34 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Wol

Good post.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 9:02 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
For me I think I was duped. Australia and it's people do such a good job at talking the place up you can't help but belive it all before you get here. All the research in the world couldn't prepare me for things like just how dishonest they are as a nation and just what a big chip on thier shoulders they have. I feel like I've been conned and I only really blame myself for being so gullable. The Australia is great soon grinds you down when everything you do and experienced proves otherwise. I could list my whole load of gripes but I can't be arsed anymore.

In short the place talks itself up big but so fails to deliver if you have anything about yourself at all.

As for things like the heat and drought, when we were planning out emmigration we knew it would be hot but the people we spoke to on the recce trip were adamant you get used to it, and the flies only come out for a couple of weeks a year. No mention of mozzies and the time of year we came here showed it in it's best light.

My lilly livered pommy body has had centuries of genetic engineering to make it more suitable to a colder climate and no amount of adjustment can make the heat bearable for me, so I'm now a prisoner of AC with a far more indoor life that I had back home.

Can't wait to get back!
Top post Arkon. I have been here years and still can't get used to the heat in summer. Don't feel you have been gullible, I too (and many others) thought it would be a better life here.

Hope you make it back home soon, and I am looking seriously at heading to UK to live myself. I love my homeland (NZ) but don't know if I could handle the lack of opportunities and low wages there now. 13 yrs in OZ and I have nothing positive to say about the place except that the economic situation here is better than NZ, but here is more to life (a hell of a lot more) than that!
Old Dec 20th 2006, 9:44 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol

Excellent post.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 1:07 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Perth has more rainfall annually than Manchester.
Ah but according to the politicians the rain doesn't have the decency to fall in the right place, after all how dare the rain not fall on that dam they built in the wrong place.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 7:06 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
There are a lot of whinges appear on this august forum...
Good one Wol...
Old Dec 20th 2006, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

Your "genuine observations" comments are totally spot on.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wol

brillant post!
Old Dec 21st 2006, 10:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish summer would kick in here. I think we have had about 5 days since mid spring when the temperature has got over 24 degrees. My pool is sitting there used only by my youngest because it's too cold for me and my eldest

Last edited by moneypenny20; Dec 21st 2006 at 12:05 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 10:51 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wol

well put .Thankfully with the internet ,the research is easy now .In my time it was always papers an a few books to read and in reality they dont give you a true reflection of how peoples lives are here in aussie ,this is the one thing this site achieves .
Even with the constant bickering at times i feel theis site offers good information especially for future migrants .
Old Dec 21st 2006, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wol

A highly accurate and very effectively and unemotively written post. Thank you for articulating so well what I very reluctantly came to feel some years back. And now I fear I too have fallen into that same lethargy and find it hard to care very much about very much at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.