Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is Is Australia a man's country? And if so....why?

Is Is Australia a man's country? And if so....why?

Old May 7th 2008, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Megami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to allMegami is a name known to all
Default Re: Is Is Australia a man's country? And if so....why?

Okay, back to the original topic...

Perhaps it is just me, but I encountered just as many misogynistic 'cave men' in the UK as in Australia. As well as as many supposedly modern guys who underneath it all were throw-backs to the 1950s. There were sections of society, the press and heck even the workplace that expected women with children to stay at home as there are in Australia.

I am lucky - married to an Aussie that is a modern man: he cooks, he looks after our child, he sees me as an equal (or at least he leaves me thinking as much!) And he works in a very old-fashioned 'masculine' culture. I am not going to disagree with people's opinions, because they are just that - your experience is different than mine. But I think it is a very long bow to draw to say that Australia is somehow a more misogynistic culture than the UK.
Old May 8th 2008, 3:26 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megami
Okay, back to the original topic...

Perhaps it is just me, but I encountered just as many misogynistic 'cave men' in the UK as in Australia. As well as as many supposedly modern guys who underneath it all were throw-backs to the 1950s. There were sections of society, the press and heck even the workplace that expected women with children to stay at home as there are in Australia.

I am lucky - married to an Aussie that is a modern man: he cooks, he looks after our child, he sees me as an equal (or at least he leaves me thinking as much!) And he works in a very old-fashioned 'masculine' culture. I am not going to disagree with people's opinions, because they are just that - your experience is different than mine. But I think it is a very long bow to draw to say that Australia is somehow a more misogynistic culture than the UK.
You've just got to listen to men like Rodney Marsh, Patrick Moore and John McCririck to know that misogynists are alive and kicking in the UK.
Old May 8th 2008, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Fleaflyfloflum;6317075]OK.. but I will have to wait until the last knuckle dragger leaves the office in case they see me

Knuckle dragger..superb!!
Old May 9th 2008, 9:06 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

A mans country?

Well, heres a snippet of the sort of crap I get hurled at me quite regularly. Thank god i have the skin of a rhino and a sharp tongue to go with it!
For those who do not know, I am the only woman in the whole company!

" I quite like shagging women over 40 coz they don't yell, don't tell, and dont swell" ........ not this one baaaaby!!

"Ask N to do the sandwiches for lunch, and maybe she'll give us afters in the car park later" ... more chance of Paris Hilton becoming a born again virgin buddy!!

"Do you wear knickers or are you a commando" ...

I could go on but i wont

Weird thing is, i usally have a quick witted retort that makes them look like a knob so i have no clue why they keep doing it. It's not as if i appear offended, just bored!!
Old May 9th 2008, 9:33 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Oh.. i forgot to add that i am at this very moment trawling through an adult online toy shop looking for a blow up doll. One of the main culprits has a birthday next week so i have decided to put this rubber temptress on his back seat with legs in the air with a note on saying "something to keep you busy between jobs"

I hope he sees it before his next customer gets in
Old May 9th 2008, 9:40 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
A mans country?

Well, heres a snippet of the sort of crap I get hurled at me quite regularly. Thank god i have the skin of a rhino and a sharp tongue to go with it!

" I quite like shagging women over 40 coz they don't yell, don't tell, and dont swell" ........ not this one baaaaby!!

"Ask N to do the sandwiches for lunch, and maybe she'll give us afters in the car park later" ... more chance of Paris Hilton becoming a born again virgin buddy!!

I could go on but i wont

Weird thing is, i usally have a quick witted retort that makes them look like a knob so i have no clue why they keep doing it. It's not as if i appear offended, just bored!!
Dirty rotten buggers, that's degrading. Just yawn in their faces N.

Oh.. i forgot to add that i am at this very moment trawling through an adult online toy shop looking for a blow up doll. One of the main culprits has a birthday next week so i have decided to put this rubber temptress on his back seat with legs in the air with a note on saying "something to keep you busy between jobs"

I hope he sees it before his next customer gets in
Or you could say, "they say practice makes perfect and it appears you need alot of practice".
Old May 9th 2008, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what type of person you mix with but I'm disgusted! I have never been subjected to this in my 42 years in Australia.
I think ,socially, that the entire World is a mans world. They can go out on their own without any repercussions, where as a woman on her own is liable to be classed as a tart and hit on all the time
Old May 9th 2008, 9:54 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by Gibbo
I don't know what type of person you mix with but I'm disgusted! I have never been subjected to this in my 42 years in Australia.
I think ,socially, that the entire World is a mans world. They can go out on their own without any repercussions, where as a woman on her own is liable to be classed as a tart and hit on all the time
Huh?

I dont "mix" with them i am forced to work with them!

I must be a right tart as i go out on my own ALL the time!!
Old May 9th 2008, 10:26 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by Gibbo

Huh?

I dont "mix" with them i am forced to work with them!

I must be a right tart as i go out on my own ALL the time!!
Slapper....
Old May 9th 2008, 10:31 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl

Slapper....

Can you see me baaaaby...shaking that aaaaaaaaaaaass
Old May 9th 2008, 10:32 am
'In limboland'

Can you see me baaaaby...shaking that aaaaaaaaaaaass
Sure I can, big time..... with white stiletto's too.
Old May 9th 2008, 10:35 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Sure I can, big time..... with white stiletto's too.
White stillettos ... no knickers

Well, I will be staying in Essex at first. A girl's gotta fit in
Old May 12th 2008, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Location: Back in Scotland after two dreadful years in Brisbane.
maka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of light

A mans country?

I could go on but i wont

Who are these neanderthals?They sound like David Brent times 80!
I bet they are all into that meathead "sport" Aussie rules.
There is a seriously high degree of male chauvinism in this country.It seems to be tolerated and almost embraced by the majority,but i supposse they don't know any different living on an underpopulated island as far away from the real world as you could imagine.poor sods!They can't even muster the intelligence to complete a full word in most cases.
Old May 12th 2008, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=maka paka;6339440]Who are these neanderthals? QUOTE]

SAXON from BB for one
Old May 13th 2008, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the 'blokes on one side, sheilas on the other' at barbies comes from when couples spent long periods living on their own and barbies were a chance for both sexes to get together with their own. Could be true.

Similarly, some of the more boorish male attitudes could date from the 'six-o-clock swill' when pubs closed at 6pm so blokes had to get pissed as quick as they could. This could be where 'shout' comes from as the blokes vied with each other to attract the barmaid's attention.

Personally, I've never found it much different wherever I live. I can rail about chores being women's work all I like but I've still got to do them whether I like it or not.

Will SATC be a bigger hit in the UK or in OZ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.