British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Australia making it difficult to return to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/australia-making-difficult-return-uk-932151/)

fastrhino Apr 11th 2020 5:15 am

Australia making it difficult to return to UK

In the current crisis I have been alarmed at the travel restrictions placed on dual nationals.

I have applied twice now for a dispensation to travel so I can move back to the UK as this was a planned moved, each time I am told I have not supplied sufficient information or evidence of my need to travel.

I have told them I have a home to go to, I have a TOR approved and my UK bank account is operating and I will be travelling on my British passport, I have provided documentary evidence that I am leaving to resume my residency in the UK.

I am being forced to prove I have legitimate reason to leave Australia.

Is anyone else encountering this anywhere else in the world ?

Pollyana Apr 11th 2020 11:08 am

Re: Australia making it difficult to return to UK

Originally Posted by fastrhino (Post 12836810)
In the current crisis I have been alarmed at the travel restrictions placed on dual nationals.

I have applied twice now for a dispensation to travel so I can move back to the UK as this was a planned moved, each time I am told I have not supplied sufficient information or evidence of my need to travel.

I have told them I have a home to go to, I have a TOR approved and my UK bank account is operating and I will be travelling on my British passport, I have provided documentary evidence that I am leaving to resume my residency in the UK.

Doesn't matter what is going on elsewhere, its the Aus Govt that makes the rules here.

I don't suppose you have family at home who need to return to care for them, or anything similar? ;)

https://britishexpats.com/forum/aust...ptions-931901/ OP on that thread reported that her husband had managed to get an exemption.

spouse of scouse Apr 11th 2020 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by fastrhino (Post 12836810)

It's a pain and often a huge inconvenience when we have to change our plans, lots of us are in the same type of boat if not exactly the same one as yours. I'm thinking that one of the reasons for the restrictions is that citizens including dual nationals, and permanent residents, have the right to return to Australia, even if they say they are not going to do that. People entering the country now are obviously a risk for carrying and spreading the coronavirus and (of lesser importance) they have to be accommodated at the Govt's expense for two weeks in hotels, so I can understand the reasoning.

You'll get back to the UK, hopefully it'll only be a matter of a few months. Look after yourself in the meantime :thumbup:

verystormy Apr 12th 2020 5:07 am

Just a thought, but you can rescind your Oz citizenship.

fastrhino Apr 12th 2020 5:12 am

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 12837335)
Just a thought, but you can rescind your Oz citizenship.

That is definitely an option I am considering.

Pollyana Apr 12th 2020 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by fastrhino (Post 12837336)
That is definitely an option I am considering.

Normal processing is around 12 weeks apparently, though it might be a bit longer at present.