Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Aussies moving to Surrey/Hampshire info on where to live.

Wikiposts

Aussies moving to Surrey/Hampshire info on where to live.

Old Feb 2nd 2013, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

AusManCometh is on a distinguished road
Default Aussies moving to Surrey/Hampshire info on where to live.

Hi people - we are moving from Perth West Aust. to the Surrey area in a couple of months. The Office is in Farnborough so looking around a 10 mile radius of there. From our research the houses and area all looks quite lovely. We have 3 kids under 8 yrs old and have had confirmation from a few independent schools that they have places which is great and have read local schools are good too in the main. What are your thoughts on Camberley, Fleet, Farnham or Farnborough?
This is our second move to the UK in a short period, we lived in Chiswick for 3 years (07 to 10) so whilst daunting to leave home again we really enjoyed our time in the UK . This will be a longer stint so looking for sense of community also which I am told is more available out of Lond.
Thanks for any input you can provide.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 1:01 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussies moving to Surrey/Hampshire info on where to live.

Lucky you ! I'm from Woking, Surrey. Farnborough is ok. There seems to be some good affordable housing there, but I don't know where the dives are if you know what I mean. It's got a good shopping centre, one called Queensmead and one called Kingsmead.

Camberley is OK, I think. Again, good shopping at, 'Main Square'. There's a housing estate in Camberley called, 'the Old Dean', which has become unpopular due to the anti-social behaviour of it's residents. Collingwood College and Kings International College are Camberley secondary schools who may have improved their reputation in recent years.

I have a friend who lives in Owlsmoor, Camberley and the houses are nice. Sandhurst and Little Sandhurst are nearby and look quite nice.

Frimley is near to Camberley and is quieter.

Farnham is at the centre of some people's universe, I think it's a dead and alive hole (for the gin and jag set admittedly).

Fleet is to near to Aldershot for some people. Aldershot was a military town but still feels like it is. There's a decommissioned Howitzer in front of Aldershot train station ! Church Crookham is near Fleet and the person I once worked with who lived there seemed to like it.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Feb 2nd 2013 at 1:08 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Lucky you ! I'm from Woking, Surrey. Farnborough is ok. There seems to be some good affordable housing there, but I don't know where the dives are if you know what I mean. It's got a good shopping centre, one called Queensmead and one called Kingsmead.

Camberley is OK, I think. Again, good shopping at, 'Main Square'. There's a housing estate in Camberley called, 'the Old Dean', which has become unpopular due to the anti-social behaviour of it's residents. Collingwood College and Kings International College are Camberley secondary schools who may have improved their reputation in recent years.

I have a friend who lives in Owlsmoor, Camberley and the houses are nice. Sandhurst and Little Sandhurst are nearby and look quite nice.

Frimley is near to Camberley and is quieter.

Farnham is at the centre of some people's universe, I think it's a dead and alive hole (for the gin and jag set admittedly).

Fleet is to near to Aldershot for some people. Aldershot was a military town but still feels like it is. There's a decommissioned Howitzer in front of Aldershot train station ! Church Crookham is near Fleet and the person I once worked with who lived there seemed to like it.
Thanks Snapshot for the info. Farnham seems to have more houses available at the moment....but I'm more beer and ford than gin and jag as you say...haha. Is Farnham shopping precinct any good as my wife has gravitated toward Camberley on the info she has researched in that it has more facilities and shopping etc. Cheers
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 6:20 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome. Farnham doesn't have a mall like Camberley does. I'm not speaking from experience as I've never shopped in Farnham. However, I would imagine if your wife (or you, I mustn't be sexist here) likes to shop with a wicker basket to visit the baker, the butcher and the florist then the high street of Farnham will be ok. Oh yeah, there's a place in Farnham called, 'the maltings' I don't know if it's shopping or entertainment or both. If you (both) want to be realistic about shopping i.e. supermarket for groceries then the convenience of other chain stores to actually get the shopping done, then, Camberley would make more sense. There's a Tesco and a Marks and Spencer at the Meadows shopping complex on the out skirts of Camberley.

Farnham is near the border of Hampshire as you probably already know. Bordon has a Tesco but not a great deal of other shops. Nice enough area though (if you pick the right place I guess). Whitehill, Bordon, looked ok to me, might be to built up with housing for some people. There is an army Barracks on Budds Lane, Bordon. No big deal but I wonder if army towns have a kind of an atmosphere, not least that sense of a transient population.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Feb 2nd 2013 at 6:24 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I'd choose Farnham over Camberley actually - Camberley has a bit more of a bogan feel about it to me and Farnham does ( or did- will have) a good wool shop! It's generally a nice area though but not exactly the most buzzingest of places if you want the high life. Mind you, London isn't that far if you want to kick up your heels.

The Maltings is a sort of community centre with all sorts of arty crafty type activities. I'm going in a couple of weeks to a major wool event (Unravelled) with workshops and sales - they have different focus events like that all through the year - others tell me it is excellent but I'll let you know!

Last edited by quoll; Feb 2nd 2013 at 7:07 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys, it is great to get all the varying opinions. I guess its Farnham for a village or Camberley for more of a town. Decisions that are tough to make until you get there but with kids needing to get into school quick we are trying to target an area.....all the houses look nice in either place so it's more a location thing. We loved living in Chiswick a few years back but it was terrace house style and busy, just not sure if we're the village type or not.
Love the bogan reference Quoll.....coming from Perth that's the norm......there goes another V8 ute now haha.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 11:57 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AusManCometh
Hi people - we are moving from Perth West Aust. to the Surrey area in a couple of months. The Office is in Farnborough so looking around a 10 mile radius of there. From our research the houses and area all looks quite lovely. We have 3 kids under 8 yrs old and have had confirmation from a few independent schools that they have places which is great and have read local schools are good too in the main. What are your thoughts on Camberley, Fleet, Farnham or Farnborough?
This is our second move to the UK in a short period, we lived in Chiswick for 3 years (07 to 10) so whilst daunting to leave home again we really enjoyed our time in the UK . This will be a longer stint so looking for sense of community also which I am told is more available out of Lond.
Thanks for any input you can provide.

Hi, In each of these areas you have good and bad parts. Personally I would choose Fleet or Farnham over Camberley or Farnborough. Fleet and farnham both have OK high streets for shopping. I particularly like Farnham high street with the castle but I know houses are expensive there.

We are moving back to Sandhurst which is a lovely village. No high street as such but still very community spirited and it has a Tesco and M&S superstore which are great plus close to Camberley and Farnborough etc for a shopping fix. Personally I drive to Reading for shopping anyway as it's much better. Crowthorne is also lovely with an OK high street and excellent schools.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 12:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Hi, In each of these areas you have good and bad parts. Personally I would choose Fleet or Farnham over Camberley or Farnborough. Fleet and farnham both have OK high streets for shopping. I particularly like Farnham high street with the castle but I know houses are expensive there.

We are moving back to Sandhurst which is a lovely village. No high street as such but still very community spirited and it has a Tesco and M&S superstore which are great plus close to Camberley and Farnborough etc for a shopping fix. Personally I drive to Reading for shopping anyway as it's much better. Crowthorne is also lovely with an OK high street and excellent schools.
Thanks Larry personally for me the high st just has to be OK, it's more for my wife who is looking at shopping options. What's the commute to Camberley and Reading from Farnham as an example by car considering traffic? Cheers
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 12:08 am
Just Joined

Sorry Lorry...not Larry.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 12:18 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Larry personally for me the high st just has to be OK, it's more for my wife who is looking at shopping options. What's the commute to Camberley and Reading from Farnham as an example by car considering traffic? Cheers
Sorry Lorry...not Larry.
LOL. Farnham to camberley is about 20 mins. Farnham to Reading is about 45 mins, traffic dependant of course.

Camberley and Farnborough are not that great for shopping IMO even though they have town centres rather than a high street. I would always go to Reading or London for a good days girlie shopping
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Nicola1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Look up Elvetham Heath in Fleet. Nice community with an outstanding rated state school.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Nicola - we'll check it out.