Aussie TV: "Love My Way"

Old May 15th 2007, 9:51 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Aussie TV: "Love My Way"

Well, I've had a few holidays in Oz so I know the TV there isn't that great.....when I lived in Singapore (TV even worse than in Oz!) they did show "Water Rats" and "Blue Heelers"....

However.....I'm now living in New Jersey (not forever though he he) and one of my Aussie expat mates raved about a set of DVDs she had been given as a gift called "Love My Way", so I borrowed hers (series 1).

I have to say that it's probably the best TV drama series that must have ever been produced by an Aussie production team. It reminded me in some ways of the British drama series "Cold Feet". I was hooked on 'Love My Way' and was distressed by what happened to Frankie's daughter (I burst into tears!).

I know that "Love My Way" is broadcast on Channel 5 in the UK but when I looked on the US and UK 'Amazon.com' websites they don't have the DVDs.

I've now discovered a website for homesick Aussies (so I guess all of you lot Down Under will be ordering your Vegemite and Cherry Ripes when you go home to Blighty LOL! ) which is incidentally called http://www.homesick.com.au

and I've just ordered both Series 1 and 2 of "Love My Way". Also the new Missy Higgins CD (On a Clear Night) which is cheaper than ordering it as an import on the US Amazon.com website. I met Missy Higgins here in NYC about 18 months ago and she was one of the support acts in a small concert hall near Central Park, she was signing autographs as she was promoting "The Sound of White"....MH has a lovely pure voice and none of the Americans seemed to have heard of her, yet my Aussie mate says she's a phenomenon in Oz.

Do any of you expats Down Under enjoy 'Love My Way' or the music from Missy Higgins?

Any other Aussie DVDs or music which you would recommend? My Aussie friends have all been expats for many years (although two families are returning to live in Oz later this year) so just as I'm 'out of the loop' for what's hot in the UK as I left 12+ years ago, they don't really know what's the best thing in Australia either.

Last edited by Englishmum; May 15th 2007 at 9:55 pm.
Old May 15th 2007, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aussie TV: "Love My Way"

englishmum, seeing you post in this forum made me ask if you are returning to blighty? i'd not noticed before if you'd mentioned it and i'm just being nosey that's all
Old May 15th 2007, 10:18 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Aussie TV: "Love My Way"

Originally Posted by TruBrit
englishmum, seeing you post in this forum made me ask if you are returning to blighty? i'd not noticed before if you'd mentioned it and i'm just being nosey that's all
I'm 'going home' for a month in August....!

We're planning to stay here I think for approx another 5 or 6 years or at least until our son has gone through university here (he's about to finish high school). By then he will be a young man and hopefully independent enough to go his own way in life....our daughter is in London but at least we have family in the UK, unlike here.

On the other hand, my husband's company is about to be bought out by a Canadian rival and the media is already reporting that redundancies will almost certainly occur....so you never know, we may be heading back to Blighty sooner!
Old May 15th 2007, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishmum

We're planning to stay here I think for approx another 5 or 6 years or at least until our son has gone through university here (he's about to finish high school). By then he will be a young man and hopefully independent enough to go his own way in life....our daughter is in London but at least we have family in the UK, unlike here.

On the other hand, my husband's company is about to be bought out by a Canadian rival and the media is already reporting that redundancies will almost certainly occur....so you never know, we may be heading back to Blighty sooner!

oh ok, tks for that....... i'll be home for about 5 weeks over june/july.

a case of watch this space eh with your husband's job....what's to be will be, good luck!
Old May 17th 2007, 7:18 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

I have been watching "love my way "..now and again as I really like some of the cast. I used to watch "the secret life of us" when I lived in Oz which was very addictive. Bit like Cold Feet....ohhh I will have to get the series as not a regular but do like it.
Old May 19th 2007, 4:25 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Any other Aussie DVDs or music which you would recommend?
I agree with the poster that "Secret Life Of Us" would be worth getting also liked "Last Man Standing" (but they axed it unfortuantely.) These would be released from the commercial channels:7, 9, 10 (Just can't think who did what now!)

Also ABC has some excellent releases for adults and kids. I picked up a DVD of "Mother and Son" (Garry McDonald and Ruth Cracknell) Bloody classic comedy. I got mine in an op shop but would be available on www.abc.net.au
Old May 19th 2007, 6:18 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
I agree with the poster that "Secret Life Of Us" would be worth getting also liked "Last Man Standing" (but they axed it unfortuantely.) These would be released from the commercial channels:7, 9, 10 (Just can't think who did what now!)

Also ABC has some excellent releases for adults and kids. I picked up a DVD of "Mother and Son" (Garry McDonald and Ruth Cracknell) Bloody classic comedy. I got mine in an op shop but would be available on www.abc.net.au
I loved Last Man Standing. It was no wonder they didn't get the viewers, they kept farting about with the day and time so you could keep up with it. Shame as it was very funny. It was on Channel 7 I seem to recall.
Old May 19th 2007, 6:38 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I loved Last Man Standing. It was no wonder they didn't get the viewers, they kept farting about with the day and time so you could keep up with it. Shame as it was very funny. It was on Channel 7 I seem to recall.
Yep, it was a great series. Problem was they bought new yank tv programs and in the end shifted it to something like 11pm when most of us are thinking of bed! Hence the loss of many of the viewing audience. I reckon though plenty would have recorded those late night episodes to watch at a more convenient time.
Old May 19th 2007, 6:42 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Yep, it was a great series. Problem was they bought new yank tv programs and in the end shifted it to something like 11pm when most of us are thinking of bed! Hence the loss of many of the viewing audience. I reckon though plenty would have recorded those late night episodes to watch at a more convenient time.
some quite nice eye candy in it too
Old May 19th 2007, 6:44 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by northernbird
some quite nice eye candy in it too
LOL
Old May 19th 2007, 1:41 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Redundancies...never far away..we are just getting out house in order for the next lot at hubby's place...paid off one house...all our loans...looking to buy a company ...next time I want to rise and fall off our own backs...not because someone picks a name out of a hat for lay offs.....