Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Attending university in Uk,which college town you recommend?

Attending university in Uk,which college town you recommend?

Old Sep 22nd 2010, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Attending university in Uk,which college town you recommend?

Durham or Edinburgh. Both have lots of history if you're after a medieval town It does depend what subject you want to study though I would of thought...?
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 1:38 am
Account Closed

Picnic is an unknown quantity at this point

Come on OP, you'd seriously like to study in the UK but are more concerned about the romance of the local environs than the reputation of the University and your chosen course of study?

If you are serious about studying in the UK take a look at this link to the British Council: http://www.educationuk.org/.

Methinks you need to do some serious research....
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 8:59 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
Thank you for responding to my posting. Your help is much appreciated. If it's true that foreighn students must go through ucas and the calendar school year must be entered only in sept? If that is so I will have to adjust my plans accordingly. In the states you can enter the fall or winter semester.It's appealing to me that the cost of living is cheaper in northern uk.Would I miss out by not living near London? Btw, I do plan to study in a three year program,but was hoping to do so in a beautiful medieval town.

I wonder if the reputation of a uk college is more important than the quality of it's particular department (finance,nursing,education ect)?
You're not in Kansas any more, Toto.

I teach in the UK higher education sector and it is diifferent from the US system in so many ways ... I met with a US exchange student yesterday and he was completely confused by how different everything is from the US system.

The US system is characterized by a lot of flexibility (including starting in January, taking a semester off, completing in 4 or 7 years, etc.), UK is nowhere near as flexible.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 9:00 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for responding to my posting. Your help is much appreciated. If it's true that foreighn students must go through ucas and the calendar school year must be entered only in sept? If that is so I will have to adjust my plans accordingly. In the states you can enter the fall or winter semester.It's appealing to me that the cost of living is cheaper in northern uk.Would I miss out by not living near London? Btw, I do plan to study in a three year program,but was hoping to do so in a beautiful medieval town.

I wonder if the reputation of a uk college is more important than the quality of it's particular department (finance,nursing,education ect)?
What do you want to study?
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

readytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nice

I did a years study abroad in the US and was surprised by how different it was. You should be aware that in the UK you do not just pick a bunch of course and then chose what to major in at a later date. You need to sign up to a specific course from the start and for the most part you will be told what course you are taking.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

I'm new to this site,am a young 41 year old American will be in Uk this jan to attend college.Must make my selection in next 30 days so to start the visa process.Would love opinions on which college towns in uk that you would recommend for traditional British culture,nice pub scene and other activities? Want to restart my life and experience liking in a different country while gaining my degree.

Thank you in advance for your help
First and as you hopefully know, the whole of the UK is slightly smaller than Oregon, and its population is at least 62 million. As a concsequence of this all the universities are quite close together and you will be able to get all over the place in a short period of time.

Second, what type of university are you looking to go to? There is a nice apartheid in Britain between "old" and "new" universities. Which are you aiming at?

You talk of traditional British culture but there are dozens of cultures in England alone. I would go to London every time, which is its own country, frankly. Towns like Oxford and Cambridge are small and insular, although both offer excellent access to London. You would find a very differnet kind of student at Oxford uni than you would at a former poly in London or Swansea, etc.

But all will give you a great time, that's for sure.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

York, Chester are very good areas and know you would not miss out by Living in London, you can always Visit the capital and it's a great Capital to visit....but to get to know real England I think you have to travel through some of the wonderful Counties we have......anywhere above the "home counties" should be a lot cheaper to live and still a lot of culture to immerse your self with....good luck...
Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

BostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant futureBostonBrit Expat Since 03 has a brilliant future

Plymouth, Great city, Ocean, fabtastic beaches nearby, fantastic nightlife....I had a great time and graduated in 97, Im went back last year on a visit to the UK and its really upgraded.....also rent is very cheap, steer clear of Major cities or you will be paying that off for years
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:00 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

UEA, Norwich. Great student town. Easy to get around. Lots of history and pubs. Not far from London or the coast. Affordable. Good housing choices. Decent reputation and some interesting courses. Lots of international students too.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 2:54 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

University of Kent at Canterbury, or the University of Christ Church College Canterbury, both good Universities depending on your needs, I know a lot of lecturers a UKC none at CCC, and to honest not hot on their Nurse grads at CCC, in my opinion (RN) but that is my opinion, not anyone else's .
nice small city, 60ish miles from London and all the History you could shake a stick at, but an ordinance survey map wherever you end up is all you need, you will find a rich history on you door step my old back garden was part of a Roman flint mine. it is there for the taking and in many cases free
Old Oct 4th 2010, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I am just adding to this thread because somewhere I had said that international students apply direct to the university, I have now been told that they do apply through UCAS.