Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Attacked on dog beach with kids

Attacked on dog beach with kids

Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:38 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Attacked on dog beach with kids

Originally Posted by nicola411
Its the lack of concern they show towards kids that really grates on my most. Good on you for rising above the situation if we get drawn into it thats when they win. Cowards, bullies and racists thats what comes to mind when I think of Aussies.

How is the house sale going?

NIc
House still for sale. Perth is a dead market now, no-one can afford these ridiculous prices. Who'd want to buy here anyway. Brisbane much better.
As for the guy who mouthed off at my son, it is probably the norm for some, but not in my book.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Baltibabe is a jewel in the roughBaltibabe is a jewel in the roughBaltibabe is a jewel in the roughBaltibabe is a jewel in the roughBaltibabe is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You did the right thing IMHO...who knows what it could have led to if you had.

It must have been a very frightening experience for you and your children.
Exactly.............how scary for you all
Old Mar 25th 2008, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
My post above has nothing to do with my personal life, OR any personal opinions I may hold.
It was posted as a moderator who has received complaints from other posters regarding racist comments, ie anti-Australian.
I would be asking for some of the comment to be toned down regardless of which race was under discussion. Some people on BE are very quick to complain when sweeping statements are made about the British, and they expect us to act on them, in the interests of fairness we are expected to do the same when complaints are made regarding sweeping statements about Australians.

Now lets get back to the topic - its horrifying that bullies like this exist anywhere in the world.
I do take what you say, and as Flea has stated, this should apply to any poster who says anything derogatory about Britain or the British - and quite often this appears to be fair game around here!!!! I do hope the moderators are as quick to stop these such comments too.

Just one final point though, to all those who are complaining to you about racist comments re Australia. This may be being picky (so I apologise to you Polly if it is), BUT Australians (nor the British clearly) are NOT a race!!!! Australia, as other countries, is an individual nation state; it is not a race and comments querying aspects of Australian apparent culture or acceptable practices cannot be deemed racist!

The use of the word 'racist' has become common practice to use about anything about an individual or group of individuals one is disagreeing with. IMO it is not showing any form of sensitivity to those for whom racism is regrettably a daily and life changing event.

We should all be respectful of that, and comments made about pathetic individual Australian (in this instance!) men, should not be confused with racism.

Sorry but I felt that had to be said....
Old Mar 25th 2008, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

grevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of light

Ah, so the UN is wrong then! See definition below (courtesy of Wikipedia).

And speaking as a VERY PROUD Brit, I have to say that I (along with several others) am appalled by some of the comments on this thread about Australians. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Quite understand that some of you may be unhappy in Australia, and be desperate to go home. Can fully understand and identify with that, as I feel that way myself, and the day when I live back in the UK full time can't come soon enough.

However, using Nicola's original and quite distressing post to create a series of prejudiced, perjorative, nasty and mostly untrue comments about people of one particular ethnic origin, just because you are unhappy living in what is after all, THEIR country, is pretty low.

I'm very disappointed in my fellow countrymen, who are generally a fair & tolerant bunch of people.

G.

Legal definition
According to the United Nations Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination,

the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life. '[1]

This definition does not make any difference between prosecutions based on ethnicity and race, in part because the distinction between the ethnicity and race remains debatable among anthropologists.[2] According to British law, racial group means "any group of people who are defined by reference to their race, colour, nationality (including citizenship) or ethnic or national origin".

Originally Posted by jojosan
I do take what you say, and as Flea has stated, this should apply to any poster who says anything derogatory about Britain or the British - and quite often this appears to be fair game around here!!!! I do hope the moderators are as quick to stop these such comments too.

Just one final point though, to all those who are complaining to you about racist comments re Australia. This may be being picky (so I apologise to you Polly if it is), BUT Australians (nor the British clearly) are NOT a race!!!! Australia, as other countries, is an individual nation state; it is not a race and comments querying aspects of Australian apparent culture or acceptable practices cannot be deemed racist!

The use of the word 'racist' has become common practice to use about anything about an individual or group of individuals one is disagreeing with. IMO it is not showing any form of sensitivity to those for whom racism is regrettably a daily and life changing event.

We should all be respectful of that, and comments made about pathetic individual Australian (in this instance!) men, should not be confused with racism.

Sorry but I felt that had to be said....
Old Mar 25th 2008, 4:47 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

'the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life.'

So where has any of the above been done then?

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Mar 25th 2008 at 5:16 am.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grevillia
Ah, so the UN is wrong then! See definition below (courtesy of Wikipedia).

And speaking as a VERY PROUD Brit, I have to say that I (along with several others) am appalled by some of the comments on this thread about Australians. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Quite understand that some of you may be unhappy in Australia, and be desperate to go home. Can fully understand and identify with that, as I feel that way myself, and the day when I live back in the UK full time can't come soon enough.

However, using Nicola's original and quite distressing post to create a series of prejudiced, perjorative, nasty and mostly untrue comments about people of one particular ethnic origin, just because you are unhappy living in what is after all, THEIR country, is pretty low.

I'm very disappointed in my fellow countrymen, who are generally a fair & tolerant bunch of people.

G.

Legal definition
According to the United Nations Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination,

the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life. '[1]

This definition does not make any difference between prosecutions based on ethnicity and race, in part because the distinction between the ethnicity and race remains debatable among anthropologists.[2] According to British law, racial group means "any group of people who are defined by reference to their race, colour, nationality (including citizenship) or ethnic or national origin".
I actually think you'll find that the posters have been supportive of the OP and the incredibly disgusting way she has been treated. I personally do not care whether the perpetrator is black, white, sky blue or hails from the moon! It is disgusting behaviour regardless. I would also add that no one posting on this thread has stated anything to nullify or impair the human rights of any Australian. To try and claim such is idiotic or insincere to say the least.

You are also trying to denegrate what I was trying to state about the basis of racism. We can all quote from Wikipedia, and perhaps I should have done if I'd thought this type of response would have been forthcoming!

You have clearly completely missed the point of those people posting here, who are attempting to be supportive to the OP - as completely usual it has to come down to the basic level of UK vs. Aus. For absolutely no reason...
Old Mar 25th 2008, 5:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojosan
I actually think you'll find that the posters have been supportive of the OP and the incredibly disgusting way she has been treated. I personally do not care whether the perpetrator is black, white, sky blue or hails from the moon! It is disgusting behaviour regardless. I would also add that no one posting on this thread has stated anything to nullify or impair the human rights of any Australian. To try and claim such is idiotic or insincere to say the least.

You are also trying to denegrate what I was trying to state about the basis of racism. We can all quote from Wikipedia, and perhaps I should have done if I'd thought this type of response would have been forthcoming!

You have clearly completely missed the point of those people posting here, who are attempting to be supportive to the OP - as completely usual it has to come down to the basic level of UK vs. Aus. For absolutely no reason...
To be honest this could have happened anywhere in the world. It just so happens it was in Aus and the OP wishes to leave Aus and return to the UK.

So let's put this in perspective shall we? IMHO the OP had a lucky escape because the situation could have took a nasty turn for the worse. In not retaliating the OP managed to subdue the situation and I take my hat off for her for that. We all know that in a perfect world it shouldn't have happened...but this is not a perfect world and it did happen and the OP handled the situation well.

So let's not slag off Aus but congratulate the OP for her masterful handling of the situation.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 5:27 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Don't think anyone was slagging of OZ in particular, just so happens these guys were Aussies. I'm not going to justify their actions. It was disgusting.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 5:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Don't think anyone was slagging of OZ in particular, just so happens these guys were Aussies. I'm not going to justify their actions. It was disgusting.
If you are referring to my post I didn't use the term 'slagging off'. I'm just trying to say it could have happened anywhere in the world and that the OP handled the situation extremely well...as I'm sure you will agree.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 5:32 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest this could have happened anywhere in the world. It just so happens it was in Aus and the OP wishes to leave Aus and return to the UK.

So let's put this in perspective shall we? IMHO the OP had a lucky escape because the situation could have took a nasty turn for the worse. In not retaliating the OP managed to subdue the situation and I take my hat off for her for that. We all know that in a perfect world it shouldn't have happened...but this is not a perfect world and it did happen and the OP handled the situation well.

So let's not slag off Aus but congratulate the OP for her masterful handling of the situation.
The thing is JG, this kind of thing is an all too regular occurrence. If another person had not been on the beach at the time, who can say that the creep who hit Nicola wouldn't have carried on with his abuse. It's happened to us on more than one occasion, then when we try to stick up for ourselves, we're hurtled with foul language and abuse.

EDIT. We have been told to 'f'off out of their country', we're taking their jobs, we're dirty poms and alot more.'

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Mar 25th 2008 at 6:31 am.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 5:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
The thing is JG, this kind of thing is an all too regular occurrence. If another person had not been on the beach at the time, who can say that the creep who hit Nicola wouldn't have carried on with his abuse. It's happened to us on more than one occasion, then when we try to stick up for ourselves, we hurtled with foul language and abuse.

EDIT. We have been told to 'f'off out of their country', we're taking their jobs, we're dirty poms and alot more.'
I realise that...but it could have happened anywhere. If you or anyone else want to slag off Australians...maybe you should do it in the Barbie and not in this forum. I try to defend you guys against people who give you a hard time for not liking Aus...but it works both ways. You can't expect to slag them off in this forum and them not to retaliate.

I'm trying to turn this negative into a positive...in saying that the OP handled the situation well and she did IMHO. So come on...credit where credit is due the OP did well. As for the other guy...is he really worth arguing over? I think not.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 25th 2008 at 5:46 am.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 5:46 am
'In limboland'

I realise that...but it could have happened anywhere. If you want to slag off Australians...maybe you should do it in the Barbie and not in this forum. I try to defend you guys against people who give you a hard time for not liking Aus...but it works both ways. You can't expect to slag them off in this forum and them not to retaliate.

I'm trying to turn this negative into a positive...in saying that the OP handled the situation well and she did IMHO. So come on...credit where credit is due the OP did well. As for the other guy...is he really worth arguing over? I think not.
No he isn't and I'm not arguing. I also haven't slagged anyone off. I have just stated, as I would anywhere, what I would have done and told of a couple of things that have happened to us. I am neither arguing with anyone or being racist, that is my point.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 5:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
No he isn't and I'm not arguing. I also haven't slagged anyone off. I have just stated, as I would anywhere, what I would have done and told of a couple of things that have happened to us. I am neither arguing with anyone or being racist, that is my point.
I know...so we are in agreement that this could have happened anywhere...not just Aus? I made the mistake of quoting you...but my reply is to everyone. It is normally wiser to walk away or ignore a situation than to retaliate...which is what the OP did. OK she is shaken and stirred but depending on her reaction the situation could have become much worse.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

I realise that...but it could have happened anywhere. If you or anyone else want to slag off Australians...maybe you should do it in the Barbie and not in this forum. I try to defend you guys against people who give you a hard time for not liking Aus...but it works both ways. You can't expect to slag them off in this forum and them not to retaliate.

JG you are being positive, and I'm glad for that... I do agree with you, and realise that you have tried to "defend" to a certain extent the MBTTUK-er's!!

Just don't understand the point above?? Is that supposed to be a particular free-for-all forum then??? Or should we just expect the 'secret' nasty comments we get in karma form? (Clearly not from you, I hasten to add!)

Anyway, moving on...
Old Mar 25th 2008, 5:56 am
Account Closed

Yes she handled the situation extremely well. She came on here for support, it's a shame others have to twist things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.