Arriving by ship

Old May 3rd 2005, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Arriving by ship

Originally Posted by Rete
It would appear that they would be docking in New York City on their voyage. Wow a glimpse of the Big Bad Apple after a relaxing seacruise.

http://www.02cruise.com/Cruise_Searc...rture-Shipname
Rete:

I have a tear in my eye -- my grandmother, may she rest in peace, would relate two experiences in her coming to America -- her sight of Lady Liberty upon entry into New York Harbor and the court hearing when she became a US Citizen.

I really do have a tear in the eye -- Grandma lived to 89 and passed away when I was 42 years old -- I miss her greatly. She is one of the reason I practice immigration law and her naturalization certificate hangs proudly on the wall of my office.

My father and uncles relate the welcome sight of Lady Liberty or the Golden Gate Bridge when they returned to America at the end of the Second World War.

I think that entry by ship into New York is the BEST and most romantic way to enter the US. The only experience I have personally had comparable to that was touching down on the runway at Ben Gurion Airport -- the airplanes erupted in clapping, cheers and song.

Sorry for a rant this fine morning.
Old May 3rd 2005, 3:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Rete:

Sorry for a rant this fine morning.

Perfectly understandable ;-)

My grandparents came to the US through Boston and not New York so they were denied that glimpse of the Lady of Liberty. I don't believe either of my grandparents became US Citizens. If they had their history has long since been lost as the only one left of their 13 children is my father, age 89, who was borne in the US as were all his siblings.

My mother and I flew into the US from Germany and landed at the airbase in Springfield, MA. I know my mother became a US Citizen asa as eligible. Wonder what happened to her naturalization certificate?

Rete
Old May 3rd 2005, 4:27 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Arriving by ship

Originally Posted by broma25
Has anyone any experience of arriving for your new life in the USA by ship. I am thinking of cruising from the UK. I assume that I would do all the same immigration stuff at the port in NY.

Anybody??
How the other half live hey!
Old May 3rd 2005, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

gooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by broma25
Has anyone any experience of arriving for your new life in the USA by ship. I am thinking of cruising from the UK. I assume that I would do all the same immigration stuff at the port in NY.

Anybody??
What date do you happent to be going my wife and I are going on this cruise for our late honeymoon/immigtation to the US on the 25th June however ours was more expesnive as a midsize midship room but it was paid for by my lovely parents for our honeymoon. just hopeing the Visa comes through before then otherwise i will be flying back, however we are awaiting pack 4 and apparently its just been sent recently
Old May 3rd 2005, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

broma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nice
Talking Re: Arriving by ship

Originally Posted by gooner81
What date do you happent to be going my wife and I are going on this cruise for our late honeymoon/immigtation to the US on the 25th June however ours was more expesnive as a midsize midship room but it was paid for by my lovely parents for our honeymoon. just hopeing the Visa comes through before then otherwise i will be flying back, however we are awaiting pack 4 and apparently its just been sent recently

We leave on 03 June, and yes I am excited as it was the way the original immigrants arrive (albeit a little more upmarket).

I emailed the embassy in London and they said that providing we are arriving at an official port of entry I should have no problems and that immigration should be the same as arriving at an airport.

I can only assume that the port of NY is an official port of entry, however if anyone knows any different please let me know.

I will post my experience once I get there and get the PC up and running.
Old May 3rd 2005, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I have a tear in my eye -- my grandmother, may she rest in peace, would relate two experiences in her coming to America -- her sight of Lady Liberty upon entry into New York Harbor and the court hearing when she became a US Citizen.
That's a wonderful story! My grandparents were from Minsk, in the former Soviet republic of Byelorusia (now Belarus). When the pogrom was issued, my family made their way to Lithuania and the Baltic Sea. The group who could read, got on a boat going to Ellis Island. The rest of the family (mine) got on a boat *thinking* they were going to New York but, because they couldn't read, ended up on a boat going to Glasgow. This is how my family came to Scotland at the turn of the century.

Ian
Old May 3rd 2005, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

d4vid is a jewel in the roughd4vid is a jewel in the roughd4vid is a jewel in the roughd4vid is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Arriving by ship

Originally Posted by Dan725
That is an awesome way to start your new life in the States! Really old world style, coming off the boat etc.
Indeed!!

That sounds superb
Old May 4th 2005, 2:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
That's a wonderful story! My grandparents were from Minsk, in the former Soviet republic of Byelorusia (now Belarus). When the pogrom was issued, my family made their way to Lithuania and the Baltic Sea. The group who could read, got on a boat going to Ellis Island. The rest of the family (mine) got on a boat *thinking* they were going to New York but, because they couldn't read, ended up on a boat going to Glasgow. This is how my family came to Scotland at the turn of the century.

Ian
Paternal grandfather was from Pietrokow, Russia, about 15 km from the German border [in an area now called "Poland"]. He left in 1905 with his first cousin for England -- cousin went to Palestine and Grandpa went to America. When I was interrogated by the nice girl to gain access to departure area of Ben Gurion, I said I had stayed with cousins. It was kind of like an INS marriage fraud interview since most American's don't stay in Petach Tikva -- what's your cousins' name? What her address? How are you cousins? In response to the last question, I gave the above answer and added "1905 was a good year to leave Czarist Russia, don't you think?" She smiled and said it sure was. At the end of the interrogation, she apologized and I told her no need to apologize.

On the maternal side, grandparents were from Ukraine and left during the Civil War. As my grandmother told me, their town kept changing hands -- the Whites would take over and round up and kill every Red and Jew they could find; then the Reds would take over and they would round up and kill every White and Jew they could find. Time to leave. My mother was born in present day Moldava, my aunt in Canada and my Uncle in Ohio.

BTW, my FSU clients often tell me "Your grandparets were very smart -- they left earlier than we did."
Old May 4th 2005, 2:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
The story of Glasgow being New York without Lady Liberty is an old one. BTW, my name is a mis-spelling at Ellis Island -- the "F" should have been a "P" -- but since Yiddish used the Hebrew alphabet, the root of the error is obvious.
Old May 4th 2005, 12:15 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The story of Glasgow being New York without Lady Liberty is an old one. BTW, my name is a mis-spelling at Ellis Island -- the "F" should have been a "P" -- but since Yiddish used the Hebrew alphabet, the root of the error is obvious.
My dad, born in 1922, is the youngest (and last surviving) of 10 children and has told me of those early years. Apparently the tenor of the day led to much suspicion of those who "weren't from around here" as was obvious from their broken English and their dislike of sheep! When they were old enough, all but 2 of the children (my dad and his eldest brother Harry) had their names legally changed from Levstein to Livingstone, Lovatt, and Smith! I guess it was their attempt to assimilate and perhaps distance themselves from the troubles brewing in Europe during the early 1930s. I have cousins in Indiana whose name was misspelled by the officers at Ellis Island who substituted an "f" for the "v". They're the only Lefsteins that I know of.

Ian
Old May 4th 2005, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

britnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to behold
Wink Re: Arriving by ship

Originally Posted by whiskers
Hey that sounds wonderful have a brilliant trip, and the price is very good also its not a fishing trawler from Grimsby is it? lol just kidding.

Whiskers

We don't have many fishing trawlers left here in Grimsby! That's why I'll be flying out - eventually!!!!!!