Wikiposts

Areas around York/ Leeds?

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

lucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud of
Default Areas around York/ Leeds?

Hello

I'm new to the forum. Very familiar with the discussion forums ( I avidly read it for advice on coming out to oz) and now needing some advice with areas to live in up North - in the York / Leeds area please!

If anyone can recommend any good areas I'd love to hear from you!

thanks
Lucy
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 10:13 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Areas around York/ Leeds?

I seem to be hogging your posts. I live in York. It is my home town and I love living there. There are not many areas I wouldnt live in York except in an ex council house. It will all depend on your budget but areas handy for York City Centre are Acomb, Rawcliffe, Clifton Moor, Huntington, Earswick, Haxby, Wiggington, Fulford.

The villages tend to be more expensive to the North of York. The nearer you head to Selby the cheaper the prices go.

Towards Leeds you have Copmanthorpe, Acaster malbis, Bishopthorpe, Bilbrough to name a few.

I cant recommend areas of Leeds as I have never lived there. I like going shopping there though.

Feel free to ask me any questions and I will try and help where I can

Good website www.rightmove.co.uk

Houses have been hanging around a lot longer in York and not selling as quickly but they have still risen steadily over the 15months we have been back.

Jo
Old Nov 25th 2007, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

lucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud of

Thanks for your reply, that is helpful and gives me a base to start with.

I'll do some research, might have to pick your brains again if that's ok!

I noted you lived in the Mornington Peninsula, wow, that is a really beautiful area of Victoria! We would have loved to have lived there but not poss due to hubby's job, could only get work in cbd.

May I ask, why did you return to England and do you have any regrets about leaving oz?

I'm in two minds if I'm completely honest, I love Oz and all it has to offer but feel my little bub is missing out on family at home...

It's a hard one!
Old Nov 26th 2007, 4:02 am
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lucy71
Hello

I'm new to the forum. Very familiar with the discussion forums ( I avidly read it for advice on coming out to oz) and now needing some advice with areas to live in up North - in the York / Leeds area please!

thanks
Lucy
You'd be best avoiding north leeds like the plague (seacroft/harehills areas) very high crime areas I've lived in morley and outskirts of wakefield both nice areas with good schools
Old Nov 26th 2007, 9:56 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Lucy

The peninsula was beautiful. My hubby worked also in the CBD and commuted.

We returned so my newly born daughter could know her family.

I will tell you now we have loved the first year back but we are thinking of heading back to Oz. The family is not all it was cracked up to be.

My husband has fallen out with his brothers over his mum's dementia (his family dont bother with us at all)

There is a family feud caused by my sister (she has disowned me recently for the 2nd time since we returned) this is meaning family get togethers no longer happen. Xmas is at home the 3 of us (we could do this in Oz!)

We have both been displaced at work yesterday and although we think we will be ok there is a seed in the back of our mind to return in the next year or so.

My daughter loves her grandma and grandad.

You asked the question at the wrong time perhaps (not your fault) but we are considering a return. never say never but we would look at living nearer the CBD so that we both stand a chance of a career and also not so much of a commute.

It may all change as this is being thought of at a time when we are angry and upset

We got citizenship so we can return just have a house to sell first

Jo
Old Nov 30th 2007, 12:20 am
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lucy71
Hello

thanks
Lucy
My wife is from Garforth, Leeds. lovely area. Not cheap though,
Old Nov 30th 2007, 5:15 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joh117
Lucy

The peninsula was beautiful. My hubby worked also in the CBD and commuted.

We returned so my newly born daughter could know her family.

I will tell you now we have loved the first year back but we are thinking of heading back to Oz. The family is not all it was cracked up to be.
My husband has fallen out with his brothers over his mum's dementia (his family dont bother with us at all)

There is a family feud caused by my sister (she has disowned me recently for the 2nd time since we returned) this is meaning family get togethers no longer happen. Xmas is at home the 3 of us (we could do this in Oz!)
We have both been displaced at work yesterday and although we think we will be ok there is a seed in the back of our mind to return in the next year or so.

My daughter loves her grandma and grandad.

You asked the question at the wrong time perhaps (not your fault) but we are considering a return. never say never but we would look at living nearer the CBD so that we both stand a chance of a career and also not so much of a commute.

It may all change as this is being thought of at a time when we are angry and upset

We got citizenship so we can return just have a house to sell first

Jo
I was sorry to read your story, but it reinforces for me that you can't return to the UK primarily in order to be back with friends and family (not saying that was your reason, but lots on here cite that as a reason). At least, you have to be sure you'd want to be there even if F & F end up not bothering to spend time with you. There have been many stories on here of people going back and realizing they hardly get to see F & F even when they live in the same town!

If I do stay here (still not sure), I really hope to spend lots of time with my brother (he's o'seas right now), but realize he has a right to decide he's going to stay overseas or even live in India (his wife's from India). People have to live their own lives and we have to be careful not to expect too much from them.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

I luuuuuve York.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 12:26 am
Account Closed

scoobydoo is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a family feud caused by my sister (she has disowned me recently for the 2nd time.

If you sister has chosen to disown you, her choice, not yours. If your husband has fallen out with his brothers over his mums dementia, his choice. Families will always put these predicaments before you, its what you chose to do with them that matters. You have the power to chose how you manage the situation, and I would not let that make me move to the other side of the world.

Moving to another part of the world may make the burden of these family problems easier in the short term, but will not provide the long term solutions.

A good place to live near Leeds and York is Beverley, thats where we are returning. Its a small market town, loads of character, lovely place.. well we prefer it to Auz, thats our opinion.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

I live near Selby....and spend a bit of time around the area......let me know if you need any advice.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Location: Lancashire - Vic, Oz - hopefully Yorkshire or Devon
Basil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of light

Can anyone recommend any nice villages / schools between Yorkshire & Lancashire. We have been looking at Rightmove and have seen places like Ilkley & Silsden, which would be halfway between my family in Lancs and OH's family in Yorks. After more than 6 yrs in Oz we don't want to be on either family's doorstep back in the UK as we enjoy our time together as a family, but still would like the extended family to be accessible.

Does anyone know of any nice villages around these areas and also whether the nearest school, which seems to be Craven College in Skipton has a good reputation?

Also can anyone confirm if we will have to pay school fees? Our son is 14yo and I don't know whether he will be placed in YR 9 in Sept or YR 10. I have been told that if he only does YR 10 & 11 in high-school, that as he will only have done 2 years in UK by the time he wants to go to college that we will have to pay for his 1st year at college as you have to have been back for 3 years before higher education is free...is this right?