Areas around Wigan

Old Nov 13th 2007, 1:44 am
Just Joined

geoff101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Areas around Wigan

Hello any Wiganers,

We are looking to buy a house in areas such as Winstanley,Kitt Green,Ashton in Makerfield etc(curious about higher Ince)looks OK but low deprivation Levels(is it council Housing). We are looking around the 130-135K mark(its not a lot but its what we have after we sell up in Oz). Any recommendations of areas to avoid or look at.

Many Thanks
Old Nov 13th 2007, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

BECCY.FR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Areas around Wigan

have got to ask why wigani,m origanally from near their, but a little out of touch, have been in france for over 3 years and the north of england isnt at the top of my list,in fact we,re trying to get to aus!
Old Nov 13th 2007, 10:43 am
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all

Originally Posted by geoff101
Hello any Wiganers,

We are looking to buy a house in areas such as Winstanley,Kitt Green,Ashton in Makerfield etc(curious about higher Ince)looks OK but low deprivation Levels(is it council Housing). We are looking around the 130-135K mark(its not a lot but its what we have after we sell up in Oz). Any recommendations of areas to avoid or look at.

Many Thanks
Hi Geoff,

Hi I live in Ashton, moved to NZ last year then back. The schools in Ashton are good. My daughter goes to the local Catholic high school, St Edmund Arrowsmith and she has been picked to represent the school in the kids lit quiz and my son goes to the local Catholic primary school (beacon School). I have lived in Wigan all my life so know the areas pretty well. You won't do too bad in Ashton or Winstanley not many Council houses BUT in saying that I know someone who lives in one in Ashton after moving back from NZ and have to say it is a massive house and very nice.
Ashton is right by the M6 so good for commutting. Kitt Green is ok but it is near a large council estate I have never lived there but wouldn't desire to do so. I have lived in Winstanley and my sister lives there now also v nice.
The local authority now gives under 16's a lifestyle card costing a pound and they can swim in the local baths for free. There is loads going on in the area run by the local council you need to look for it as it isn't thrown in your face. Three Sister's is a lovely area (nature reserve).
Wigan isn't Eutopia. but no where is but one thing is that it is a fiercly proud town. Also Wiganers are very friendly people. I had more idle chats with people in local shop etc. in the first few days of returning than I did in all the time in NZ. If you look at Ashton avoid towards Bamfurlong not that it's bad it's just that's it's near Platt Bridge (not too good, but lots of newer private affordable house being built round there attracting the more affluent and decent residents). Bryn isn't too bad either it's just between Ashton and Winstanley. Orrell, Aspull, Billinge, Standish, Shevington are also nice areas.
Have you got a job lined up? If so think about where you live and where you job is as traffic going across the centre of town in a morning and evening is getting very busy, although the council are looking a congestion relief measures.

You should get a nice decent size semi (one for sale with 5 beds in Ashton), housing prices have gone up though but they have stabalised in this area.

Check out www.rightmove.co.uk also www.wiganworld.co.uk there are some funnies on the dialect which should help you out.

Any more questions don't hesitate to ask.
Good luck

Jo

ps also forgot to mention Ashton is right by Haydock race course loads going on there aside from racing i.e. Monstor truck events etc

Last edited by JoB; Nov 13th 2007 at 11:00 am.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

You wouldn't send me a Greenhalghs pie over please. i will love you forever

My family still live there my sister in Orrell and my Dad in Standish. I would recommend Up Holland, Standish and Billinge (not sure if it is in Wigan anymore) all nice areas.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

BECCY.FR is an unknown quantity at this point

ahhh a greenhalghs pastie worth going back for,especally on a barm cake!
Old Nov 21st 2007, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

mmmm that was school dinner

I love steak and kidney pudding peas and gravy in a bowl (mixture)

Wow I can taste it now
Old Nov 21st 2007, 10:23 am
JoB
Off to middle earth

JoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to allJoB is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Carrianne
mmmm that was school dinner

I love steak and kidney pudding peas and gravy in a bowl (mixture)

Wow I can taste it now
At the Whelley Greenalgh's they do steak pie with peas and gravy.........to die for.
I love their spicy veg soup, when I was pregnant I used to ring all the greenalgh's to see which one had my fav soup on!!!!!
Old Nov 21st 2007, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Don;t make jealous, I had a babynine months ago and while pregnant in Oz all I wanted was chips, fried rice and curry sauce

I would have killed for it at 2am every morning, Dad ended up sending me some bisto curry sauce mix x
Old Nov 21st 2007, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

themellings is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I also live in Ashton - I came to this forum as was considering emigrating but have realised that I could never leave my family. I can say i agree with Job but I would also avoid parts of bryn and landgate (sorry but thats my view). There is loads going on in Ashton and it is really convenient for the motorways, it isn't all bad - Edmund Arrowsmith has a really good rep but I heard was difficult to get into if you need to go into other years than the beginning. House sales have really slowed down and if you are in a good position I would offer less than the asking price !(Ashton has become quite expensive)
Denise
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 9:01 am
JoB
Off to middle earth

Originally Posted by themellings
Hi,
I also live in Ashton - I came to this forum as was considering emigrating but have realised that I could never leave my family. I can say i agree with Job but I would also avoid parts of bryn and landgate (sorry but thats my view). There is loads going on in Ashton and it is really convenient for the motorways, it isn't all bad - Edmund Arrowsmith has a really good rep but I heard was difficult to get into if you need to go into other years than the beginning. House sales have really slowed down and if you are in a good position I would offer less than the asking price !(Ashton has become quite expensive)
Denise
Oh yes I would agree with Denise avoid Bryn and Landgate, not beruit but there are nicer places to choose from.

Denise whreabouts in Ashton do you live. I live on Dunsdale Dr, in fact we lived there before we emigrated and ended up buying in the same street. Not purposely but just by chance happenings..........long story.

Jo
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

themellings is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jo,

Isn't that weird - we were going to buy a house in dunsdale when they were being built - we had payed a deposit and still have pictures of the footings going in ! - anyway backed out for a variety of reasons but ended up buying our current house on the woodedge estate (salkeld).

I like Ashton mostly - some bad bits ie kids drinking/drugs but on the whole its an OK town. My husband is from Standish. We have 2 boys (8 and 5) so are quite settled now, I doubt we would move away permanently now - sometimes you have to be grateful for what you have not what you've not. Sorry if that makes me a fraud for posting on here.

Denise
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
It's worth a try, I have a house for sale in Standish Lower Ground as I am moving to Canada.

Here is the link if your interested

http://www.vebra.com/home/search/vde...4&pid=13658496

The ad should say offers over.