Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Applying for UK Credit Card

Applying for UK Credit Card

Old Jan 12th 2004, 2:11 pm
Merlot

Default Applying for UK Credit Card

From your experiences how easy is it do do this?

I have always retained my UK bank account during my stay in Oz (7 years) with Abbey. I have an Australian HSBC Bank Account and credit card with Westpac (Fee free card).

What are the criteria? Can I bring any documents with me from Oz to help this application?

I am going to try and get myself on my Mum's utility bills and register as a voter as soon as I get back. I have been told this helps plus a long term job.

Any advice appreciated as always.

Old Jan 12th 2004, 2:19 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Being on the electoral role and having a permanent job are the normal requirements. I am not sure if the government has worked out how to deal with councils refusing to hand over the electoral because of the data protection act.

This has caused some small problems with credit applications in the past.

I found I used my egg card the most because it automatically paid itself off using my current account and it gave 0.5% cash back on purchases.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 3:51 pm
Merlot

Default Egg Card

Originally posted by bondipom
Being on the electoral role and having a permanent job are the normal requirements. I am not sure if the government has worked out how to deal with councils refusing to hand over the electoral because of the data protection act.

This has caused some small problems with credit applications in the past.

I found I used my egg card the most because it automatically paid itself off using my current account and it gave 0.5% cash back on purchases.
Thanks for the response, could you advise what an "egg card" is?

Cheers

Old Jan 12th 2004, 7:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Egg" is a relatively new UK credit card.

Merlot, do you mind if I ask - with your Abbey account, did you give them your Aussie address, and did you get statements and stuff sent straight to you here? I have an Abbey account that I want to maintain, as well as an Abbey visa card. Were they OK about sending new cards to you in Oz, or did you keep a UK address?

Thanks,
Pollyana
Old Jan 13th 2004, 11:07 am
Merlot

Originally posted by Pollyana

Merlot, do you mind if I ask - with your Abbey account, did you give them your Aussie address, and did you get statements and stuff sent straight to you here? I have an Abbey account that I want to maintain, as well as an Abbey visa card. Were they OK about sending new cards to you in Oz, or did you keep a UK address?

Thanks,
Pollyana

Hi Pollyana

I gave them my Ozzie address back in 1997 and they were fine with that.

About 12 months ago they changed their system at Abbey and all my cards/pins etc came via their Foreign Address Department - don't ask me why? They also sent cards/pins via registered post. Never had any major problems, apart from the waiting for them to arrive.

Kind regards
Merlot

Old Jan 13th 2004, 12:20 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana

Thanks,
Pollyana
Barclaycard has been sending my statements and new cards overseas since 1983. I think banks and credit card companies are a lot less nervous about dealing with you overseas if you started off in the UK. If you're in another country, I think it's very difficult to get a new UK current account or credit card unless you pull the wool over their eyes (e.g., by using a UK address).
Old Jan 13th 2004, 10:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Merlot; I'd heard that some banks aren't keen on sending cards abroad and stuff like that, but if you've had no problem with Abbey, then i shall go ahead and give them my Aussie address.

Pollyana