Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

applying for jobs in the UK from abroad ?

applying for jobs in the UK from abroad ?

Old Apr 30th 2014, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

Canada_back_uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default applying for jobs in the UK from abroad ?

So its been almost 2 years since i last posted on this site in regard to me thinking about moving back to the UK...

Well a lot has happened since then, firstly i got laid off from my old job and i went travelling for a little bit and spent a good 2 months in the UK with my family. ( which was great)

After my time in the UK ...I decided I would give the Canada another year, well i did and it still doesn't feel right, i managed to get another job and things financially are good but the job itself isn't something i want to do forever ( it pays the Bills), so I've decided to really think about moving back to the UK, im from Newcastle but my Dad lives in Essex so i'm considering moving in with him for a short while and once ive settled into a Job im going to find my own place... in time id like to move back to Newcastle to be closer to my family but i think i have a better chance of getting a job down south....

So my question to you guys is, before you moved back did any of you try applying for jobs online? I've worked the financial field ( operations for a bank and insurance company ) for the last 9-10 years in Canada ....I've found a few jobs in Essex that i could do, there are even jobs on Jersey in the offshore banking industry that i could but ive heard its not easy to get housing on the island...

what do you guys think ? did anyone have any luck gaining meaningful employment in the UK before actually moving, it is a waste of time?
Old Apr 30th 2014, 10:33 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: applying for jobs in the UK from abroad ?

I got my current job applying from abroad and did my interview over the phone. I think that was the exception rather than the rule however.

Generally speaking you'll need to pretend you're in the UK (use a UK address, etc..) as HR departments will often filter out any application with an overseas address so no-one will even look at your application. I would use your Dad's address in Essex if I was applying from Canada.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I got my current job applying from abroad and did my interview over the phone. I think that was the exception rather than the rule however.

Generally speaking you'll need to pretend you're in the UK (use a UK address, etc..) as HR departments will often filter out any application with an overseas address so no-one will even look at your application. I would use your Dad's address in Essex if I was applying from Canada.
thanks for your reply...

Yes i've considered doing that but what happens when they find out your not in the UK? how did you do it?
Old Apr 30th 2014, 11:04 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada_back_uk
thanks for your reply...

Yes i've considered doing that but what happens when they find out your not in the UK? how did you do it?
Work that out if they invite you for interview. If they're willing you could do it over the phone/Skype. You might even consider flying back for it. But if your application is binned without anyone even looking at it then your chance of an interview is precisely zero.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Work that out if they invite you for interview. If they're willing you could do it over the phone/Skype. You might even consider flying back for it. But if your application is binned without anyone even looking at it then your chance of an interview is precisely zero.
very good point!
Old Apr 30th 2014, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Most companies won't even look at your CV if you are not in the UK. They want a UK address and UK phone number. It may be best to wait until about a month before you move back and then post your CV on job sites and with recruiters, that way by the time they review it you will probably be back in the country. I just posted mine and I will be back in 2 weeks.
Old May 1st 2014, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

ncoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nice

Hi C
I am planning on moving to the UK in a couple of months after 27yrs in the US. I have not done any job research yet nor will I until I arrive in the UK. I am an engineer and I am really hoping this is not a mistake but I have so much to do to move myself, my USC mrs and three kids looking for a job from overseas just doesn't seem possible. It will be priority number one once we arrive in the UK but for now my time and energy is spent on getting BS paperwork for the family, selling house, packing, shipping etc. So, if you do decide to go over without a job secured, well, you aint alone my friend! Good luck with what you decide.
Cheers
Nigel
Old May 2nd 2014, 1:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ncoomber
Hi C
I am planning on moving to the UK in a couple of months after 27yrs in the US. I have not done any job research yet nor will I until I arrive in the UK. I am an engineer and I am really hoping this is not a mistake but I have so much to do to move myself, my USC mrs and three kids looking for a job from overseas just doesn't seem possible. It will be priority number one once we arrive in the UK but for now my time and energy is spent on getting BS paperwork for the family, selling house, packing, shipping etc. So, if you do decide to go over without a job secured, well, you aint alone my friend! Good luck with what you decide.
Cheers
Nigel
hi ncoomber , i feel like i just got divorced and we didnt have kids so i dont have to worry about the paperwork side of things, which part of the UK are you thinking about moving to?
Old May 2nd 2014, 5:27 am
Just Joined

EDABZ is an unknown quantity at this point

So its been almost 2 years since i last posted on this site in regard to me thinking about moving back to the UK...

Well a lot has happened since then, firstly i got laid off from my old job and i went travelling for a little bit and spent a good 2 months in the UK with my family. ( which was great)

After my time in the UK ...I decided I would give the Canada another year, well i did and it still doesn't feel right, i managed to get another job and things financially are good but the job itself isn't something i want to do forever ( it pays the Bills), so I've decided to really think about moving back to the UK, im from Newcastle but my Dad lives in Essex so i'm considering moving in with him for a short while and once ive settled into a Job im going to find my own place... in time id like to move back to Newcastle to be closer to my family but i think i have a better chance of getting a job down south....

So my question to you guys is, before you moved back did any of you try applying for jobs online? I've worked the financial field ( operations for a bank and insurance company ) for the last 9-10 years in Canada ....I've found a few jobs in Essex that i could do, there are even jobs on Jersey in the offshore banking industry that i could but ive heard its not easy to get housing on the island...

what do you guys think ? did anyone have any luck gaining meaningful employment in the UK before actually moving, it is a waste of time?
Canada_back_uk, if you have networking contacts, then that may be the most successful method in gaining a job prior to a move back. The other method is to use headhunters which deals exclusively in your industry or failing that, online method.

Another poster brought up a good point about some companies not wishing to deal with overseas applicant but that's a reality.

I used my network (ex colleagues) and landed myself a job offer yesterday after 3 weeks since I put my feelers out. It's always nice to have a job to go to but that's just me.
Old May 2nd 2014, 5:32 am
Just Joined

EDABZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ncoomber
Hi C
Cheers
Nigel
Nigel

What sort of engineer are you? You may wish to see if the demand is there and where that might be located. Apologies if that's teaching you to suck eggs.

I assume from the above that you're using the savings method for the 'BS' spousal paperwork, having not secured a job.
Old May 2nd 2014, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

ncoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nice

hi ncoomber , i feel like i just got divorced and we didnt have kids so i dont have to worry about the paperwork side of things, which part of the UK are you thinking about moving to?

Hi
We'll be moving into my dads house in Leeds to start with. But will move to where ever we need to once I find a job. I would like to stay in Yorkshire but at least somewhere up north.

I have worked in the electronics assembly industry for the past 30yrs. I dunno if I will find something in that field. I will have a go at anything. I wouldn't mind getting into some sort of educational work.

Where will you be going?

Good luck
Cheers
Nigel
Old May 14th 2014, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

mazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond repute

Started making speculative job enquiries about a month before I returned (using a UK address and then when I was contacted, explaining that I would be returning from Canada soon), and most people weren't interested if they couldn't interview me in person within the next few weeks. I had one Skype interview, but the job didn't work out.

Best to leave it until you are on UK soil I would say, unless as someone else suggested, you have an old employer to go back to or some contacts you can ring in.