Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Applying to jobs before moving back progress so far...

Applying to jobs before moving back progress so far...

Old Mar 21st 2015, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

LBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really nice
Default Applying to jobs before moving back progress so far...

So I thought I would post a thread on any progress I make in my mission to move back to the UK. I am in the US with my husband (US citizen) and daughter (dual) and have wanted to head back for a while. Main reason being the deteriorating health of my mum and more recently my dad and also because I miss the work life balance which the U.S. lacks....anyhow, as we do not have the required amount of savings to meet the financial requirement, I'm using a combination of savings and current income for my part time job here and attempting to secure a job offer in the UK before applying for the spousal visa.

I've been nervous about getting an offer while out of the country but I started applying so we will see....I have a masters degree in education administration and work in higher education, I'll be applying to jobs in this field.

Thought I'd start this thread to see how long it takes! Fingers crossed.....

Last edited by LBJR07; Mar 21st 2015 at 12:13 am.
Old Mar 21st 2015, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

Kangam68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying to jobs before moving back progress so far...

Hi!
Thanks for your post. I am curious to see how you get on with your UK job applications whilst still in the US. I plan on moving back to the UK in 5 years once my kids are at uni (I would return now but I am tied here in Canada because of my kids and shared custody with their dad (I am divorced))
Are you working with any UK recruitment agencies or headhunters? Or are you just looking at jobs advertised online? I have a UK degree in IT and a canadian diploma in Health Information Management and currently working at a tertiary/teaching hospital in Nova Scotia. I check the NHS website regularly and I do see jobs that I could qualify for ... Which gives me hope that I should be able to get a job with not much trouble BUT ... It's the application from overseas that worries me.
I have all my fingers and toes crossed for you and wish you lots of luck and positive energy!
Please keep me posted on how you get on.
Best of luck,
Amita
PS I lived in Hoboken NJ for six years but moved to NS after 9/11. I loved it there but my heart belongs to the UK
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

LBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kangam68
Hi!
Thanks for your post. I am curious to see how you get on with your UK job applications whilst still in the US. I plan on moving back to the UK in 5 years once my kids are at uni (I would return now but I am tied here in Canada because of my kids and shared custody with their dad (I am divorced))
Are you working with any UK recruitment agencies or headhunters? Or are you just looking at jobs advertised online? I have a UK degree in IT and a canadian diploma in Health Information Management and currently working at a tertiary/teaching hospital in Nova Scotia. I check the NHS website regularly and I do see jobs that I could qualify for ... Which gives me hope that I should be able to get a job with not much trouble BUT ... It's the application from overseas that worries me.
I have all my fingers and toes crossed for you and wish you lots of luck and positive energy!
Please keep me posted on how you get on.
Best of luck,
Amita
PS I lived in Hoboken NJ for six years but moved to NS after 9/11. I loved it there but my heart belongs to the UK
Thanks for kind thoughts!
I've just been applying to jobs directly and using the UK address where needed of where I'll be staying (with family). I've made a point of stating my UK citizenship in my cover letters along with my plans to move permanently back to the UK. Whether I'll get any bites remains to be seen but I'm hoping I've marketed my experience abroad enough so that employers may see it as a plus rather than a hassle.
I'll post if I hear anything!
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for starting this thread OP. I am in the same situation as you.

I have an MBA and work in higher Ed. I have applied for a few jobs from here (US) and clearly stated my citizenship and my relocation status. I didn't change my adress to UK yet because I wanted to test the waters based on the comments I have read here that the UK is open to remote hiring processes. Well so far I have had 3 rejections at first round. The usual... 'Due to high volumes we cannot give you feedback' stops me from finding out if location may be the issue.

I am applying for the same type of positions as I currently hold and I have perfected my personal summary statement (letter) which wasn't a thing when I left. Then it was cover letter and cv.

Like you I was hoping to secure something while I was here so I can apply for my husbands ILR visa.

Anyway I am giving it a break for a couple of weeks while we get things sorted with our house sale.

What areas/region are you looking to move to? London I have been told is much easier but I am not looking to move there.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bnet36
Thank you for starting this thread OP. I am in the same situation as you.

I have an MBA and work in higher Ed. I have applied for a few jobs from here (US) and clearly stated my citizenship and my relocation status. I didn't change my adress to UK yet because I wanted to test the waters based on the comments I have read here that the UK is open to remote hiring processes. Well so far I have had 3 rejections at first round. The usual... 'Due to high volumes we cannot give you feedback' stops me from finding out if location may be the issue.

I am applying for the same type of positions as I currently hold and I have perfected my personal summary statement (letter) which wasn't a thing when I left. Then it was cover letter and cv.

Like you I was hoping to secure something while I was here so I can apply for my husbands ILR visa.

Anyway I am giving it a break for a couple of weeks while we get things sorted with our house sale.

What areas/region are you looking to move to? London I have been told is much easier but I am not looking to move there.
I'm looking at the south west area (Bristol to Worcestershire) so not a huge number of higher Ed opportunities, how about you? I'm also looking at similar roles to what I'm doing now. Still no response so far so just a matter of waiting for a rejection notice I'm sure.
Keep me posted if you hear back on anything, I hope your house sale goes smoothly!
Old Apr 25th 2015, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Update:
So I did get called for an interview along with a handful of rejections however unfortunately the interview date wasn't flexible and I couldn't be in the country in time (weren't open to skype) so it didn't happen. The search continues I hope others are having better luck!
Old May 18th 2015, 4:11 am
Just Joined

ChiJan is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck to you both! My husband (the UK citizen) and I carefully planned he would go to follow up oh his last batch of applications, three of which he was dreadfully overqualified for and two had job descriptions that were written for him... or so we thought. Hubby is soon headed back to the States after a now unsuccessful Round Two of these job search trips. I congratulate you both on recognizing that the English address was paramount on your CV -- we didn't until after Round One and an interviewer mentioned that he was worried that relocation expenses could not be covered. Now I think our challenge is that he is 30 days away from his 60th birthday. It's so painful to watch via Skype as he reads rejection emails to "Dear wrong name" that go on to tell a man with 35 years experience in his field throughout the world that he is "not qualified" for a job paying half of what he makes in the US. When I pick him up at O'Hare next Saturday, we'll start on Plan C. Gotta keep our eyes on the prize and our chins up.
Old May 31st 2015, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

So I did secure a job offer! Fortunately I could be in the country for interview, had I not, my application would have been put aside again I'm sure. Interviews seem to be more involved than I remember, I can understand why it would be necessary to interview in person rather than via skype as there is more of an assessment component.

I wish everyone going this route the best of luck with your applications, ChiJan I really hope things look up for your husband.
Old May 31st 2015, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Kangam68 is an unknown quantity at this point

That is FANTASTIC news! Congratulations!!!
I think when my time comes to apply, I will take a few months off ( I can take up to a 12 month sabbatical from work) and just go back home to London to focus on job applications.
I am so happy and excited for you - Good luck with your move!
Best Wishes
Amita
Old May 31st 2015, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck! I am waiting for the results from the NARIC of my US degrees. Knowing this I can see where I stand and what I can apply for. Very curious as to what they have decided. All the best.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations LBJR07! I am very happy for you.

I will post a full update on my adventures soon - it's been a busy time!

Did you end up near Bristol?
Old Jun 4th 2015, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

jamm13dodger is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are a highly sought commodity and can be available within a reasonable timescale I think most people will be willing to wait/compromise during the recruitment phase.

If however you have a fairly common skill set I think most recruiters are going to pass you over in favor of another.

Glad you found something as I know I wouldn't want to be moving back without a job to go to.

Regards, Rob.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 7:23 am
Just Joined

gary porter is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys, congrats to LBJR07.

My wife and I also want to return from South Africa... any advice on where to find links or employers that might consider overseas applicants?

we are both British, came here to build a house as an investment, due to me being South African as well, now time to return.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Finding a job worries me a bit, too, because I am not as young as I used to be either . I am already working with a recruiter in the UK who has apparently already revamped my resume into a CV and sent it out to numerous companies. She knows my time frame and is trying to line up a series of interviews within the first few weeks I am back. Fingers crossed!
Old Jun 10th 2015, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

gary porter is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Windsong, any chance I can get you to part with your recruiters details?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.