Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone Worried About England's Finances?

Anyone Worried About England's Finances?

Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:20 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Worried About England's Finances?

Originally Posted by backagen
The biggest problem is that most of the time there doesn't seem to be a decent alternative prime minister around.

Australia had John Howard in power for 11 years. It was partly because most people thought he was a very good PM, but unfortunately it was also partly because the only viable alternative (labour) would have been lead by the likes of Mark Latham (a thug who assaults journalists and looses his temper like a 3 year old) or Kim Beazley (whose only talent was in criticising whatever the government did. I never once heard him offer an original idea of his own). Thankfully in last years election a decent replacement finally did come forward, in the form of Kevin Rudd, and just at the time when it was really needed because John Howard, good as he was, was getting to the point where he had pretty much run out of steam.

The same problem exists in Britain unfortunately. There seems to be no sign of a decent senior politician anywhere and in my opinion there hasn't been a really good PM there in my lifetime. Tony Blair seemed ok at first perhaps, but soon lost it once in office. Apart form that they've all been terrible.

What we need in both countries is a much better way of selecting and appointing good political leaders (who really are leaders) and giving the voting public a REAL, GENUINE say in how the country is run.

I have in my mind a way this could be done, but the chances of it happening are extremely slim to say the least, because the politicians currently in power invariably want to keep the current system intact because it serves their own personal purposes and protects them from too much public scrutiny.

I don't quite know what the answer is, short of a good old fashioned full scale revolution and civil war!
Couldn't agree more.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:22 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest problem is that most of the time there doesn't seem to be a decent alternative prime minister around.

Australia had John Howard in power for 11 years. It was partly because most people thought he was a very good PM, but unfortunately it was also partly because the only viable alternative (labour) would have been lead by the likes of Mark Latham (a thug who assaults journalists and looses his temper like a 3 year old) or Kim Beazley (whose only talent was in criticising whatever the government did. I never once heard him offer an original idea of his own). Thankfully in last years election a decent replacement finally did come forward, in the form of Kevin Rudd, and just at the time when it was really needed because John Howard, good as he was, was getting to the point where he had pretty much run out of steam.

The same problem exists in Britain unfortunately. There seems to be no sign of a decent senior politician anywhere and in my opinion there hasn't been a really good PM there in my lifetime. Tony Blair seemed ok at first perhaps, but soon lost it once in office. Apart form that they've all been terrible.

What we need in both countries is a much better way of selecting and appointing good political leaders (who really are leaders) and giving the voting public a REAL, GENUINE say in how the country is run.

I have in my mind a way this could be done, but the chances of it happening are extremely slim to say the least, because the politicians currently in power invariably want to keep the current system intact because it serves their own personal purposes and protects them from too much public scrutiny.

I don't quite know what the answer is, short of a good old fashioned full scale revolution and civil war!
Hell yeah!! Lets go for it B!

Citizen Smith and the trotskyites
Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:23 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon Delia Smith should be the next Prime Minister.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:28 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
I reckon Delia Smith should be the next Prime Minister.
Oh no! Did you see her embarrassing outburst at the football ground?
Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:29 am
Banned

No!Not Delia. What happened? That woman is my God.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

On a more positive note, I agree about Obama. It's too early to tell of course, but all the indicators are that he will do a lot of good, and he appears to have the best interests of ordinary people at heart. He is also very intelligent, and to my knowledge so far he has never been affiliated with any corrupt or evil organisations.

At the very least, all of that puts him miles in front of Bush and the USA, and indeed the world, will be much better off for it!

If he can find a way to have Bush and others in the current US government prosecuted for their crimes, that would be a huge bonus (although I'd be happy if he just got on with repairing the damage Bush has done).
Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:37 am
Banned

On a more positive note, I agree about Obama. It's too early to tell of course, but all the indicators are that he will do a lot of good, and he appears to have the best interests of ordinary people at heart. He is also very intelligent, and to my knowledge so far he has never been affiliated with any corrupt or evil organisations.

At the very least, all of that puts him miles in front of Bush and the USA, and indeed the world, will be much better off for it!

If he can find a way to have Bush and others in the current US government prosecuted for their crimes, that would be a huge bonus (although I'd be happy if he just got on with repairing the damage Bush has done).
Well he's innocent in the sense that baby Jesus was innocent before Herrod and his cronies decided he was a massive threat to their corrupt policies.
I hope he knows he's fair game for a lot of Bush's henchmen. I don't think he's in for an easy ride but I think we all have to support im because he seems to be one of the rare good guys.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:37 am
I don't give a damn

No!Not Delia. What happened? That woman is my God.
When i was up there this year, they kept showing this footage of her blind drunk going berserk at the Norwich City crowd on the sound system. She was shrieking and bellowing at them telling htem off. It was so embarrassing it was comical.

She'll never live it down.

Here's a youtube clip

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZeWFPb64S0&NR=1
Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:43 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
When i was up there this year, they kept showing this footage of her blind drunk going berserk at the Norwich City crowd on the sound system. She was shrieking and bellowing at them telling htem off. It was so embarrassing it was comical.

She'll never live it down.

Here's a youtube clip

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZeWFPb64S0&NR=1
Well, it's probably her age so it will be a one off. apparantly her yorkshire puds don't rise a well as they use to neither.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:49 am
I don't give a damn

Well, it's probably her age so it will be a one off. apparantly her yorkshire puds don't rise a well as they use to neither.
Of course it wont be a one off. When you get to our age you can do these things and not gve a toss
Old Dec 16th 2008, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Well he's innocent in the sense that baby Jesus was innocent before Herrod and his cronies decided he was a massive threat to their corrupt policies.
I hope he knows he's fair game for a lot of Bush's henchmen. I don't think he's in for an easy ride but I think we all have to support im because he seems to be one of the rare good guys.
That is a serious concern yes. I know a few people who have said they fear Obama may be assassinated. I certainly hope they're wrong but he will probably need even more protection than other presidents have for various reasons, not the least being that he is black and there's still a lot of crazy idiots around in USA who don't think a black person should be president.

Anyway, we'll see but I think I trust the secret service to keep him as safe as possible.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 10:10 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

That is a serious concern yes. I know a few people who have said they fear Obama may be assassinated. I certainly hope they're wrong but he will probably need even more protection than other presidents have for various reasons, not the least being that he is black and there's still a lot of crazy idiots around in USA who don't think a black person should be president.

Anyway, we'll see but I think I trust the secret service to keep him as safe as possible.
I think the biggest challenge facing Obama is the fickleness of the American public. Once the honeymoon is over, there will be some very tough economic decisions to make. Messages of "fiscal conservatism", "save for the future", "make sacrifices" don't go down anywhere near as well as "tax breaks", "more money in your pocket", etc., otherwise how would Bush have been re-elected?
Old Dec 16th 2008, 10:41 am
Banned

Globalcommunismiscoming has a spectacular aura aboutGlobalcommunismiscoming has a spectacular aura aboutGlobalcommunismiscoming has a spectacular aura about

The UK is in a very scary predicament. The country is really teetering on bankruptcy. It is now predicted that this recession will be the worst in the history of the UK - more like a depression. The only thing that governments are proposing to 'solve' this crisis is more government spending which will only increase pressure on the pound which is already plunging. This situation has been caused by decades of poor economic policy and centralizing the bulk of the economy into debt based consumer spending and financial juggling conmen in the city. People moving back to the UK should be well aware that they are moving to a country facing a possible financial disaster.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 10:49 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by Globalcommunismiscoming
The UK is in a very scary predicament. The country is really teetering on bankruptcy. It is now predicted that this recession will be the worst in the history of the UK - more like a depression. The only thing that governments are proposing to 'solve' this crisis is more government spending which will only increase pressure on the pound which is already plunging. This situation has been caused by decades of poor economic policy and centralizing the bulk of the economy into debt based consumer spending and financial juggling conmen in the city. People moving back to the UK should be well aware that they are moving to a country facing a possible financial disaster.
And merry christmas to you too

We managed after nearly going bankrupt after WW2. I'm sure we will manage it again.
You carry on as if the UK is the only one affected in all this. Get real. Its GLOBAL.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 10:51 am
Banned

Globalcommunismiscoming has a spectacular aura aboutGlobalcommunismiscoming has a spectacular aura aboutGlobalcommunismiscoming has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
And merry christmas to you too

We managed after nearly going bankrupt after WW2. I'm sure we will manage it again.
You carry on as if the UK is the only one affected in all this. Get real. Its GLOBAL.

Somewhere in my post you read that we would not survive and that is was not global. Could you please show me where? <<snip>>.

Last edited by Pollyana; Dec 17th 2008 at 11:49 pm. Reason: cut out the abuse, please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.