Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

For Anyone who has lived and worked in Liverpool

For Anyone who has lived and worked in Liverpool

Old Aug 11th 2004, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

MariaP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default For Anyone who has lived and worked in Liverpool

What was it like? Is it easy to find jobs and rented accommodation and is it a nice city to live in? I have visited there several times but never lived there full time. Please let me know your stories. I am interested to find out ASAP. Thanks
Old Aug 11th 2004, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all5thbeatle is a name known to all
Default Re: For Anyone who has lived and worked in Liverpool

don 't really know about jobs as i commute to manchester but i suppose it all depends on what you do / want to do. with liverpool winning the capital of culture 2008 then things are moving pretty fast. there is plenty of rented accomodation in the city, especially now the students have gone home. i'd look at the south end of the city: aigburth, allerton, woolton, childwall (where i live). leafy suburbs with their own shops, restaurants and pubs and only 20 minutes from the nightlife of downtown. around the vicinity of sefton park is also very popular as it's a bit of a bohemian student area especially lark lane which boasts some very nice laid back eateries. hope this helps
Old Aug 11th 2004, 3:50 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 5thbeatle
don 't really know about jobs as i commute to manchester but i suppose it all depends on what you do / want to do. with liverpool winning the capital of culture 2008 then things are moving pretty fast. there is plenty of rented accomodation in the city, especially now the students have gone home. i'd look at the south end of the city: aigburth, allerton, woolton, childwall (where i live). leafy suburbs with their own shops, restaurants and pubs and only 20 minutes from the nightlife of downtown. around the vicinity of sefton park is also very popular as it's a bit of a bohemian student area especially lark lane which boasts some very nice laid back eateries. hope this helps
I lived in Liverpool for 2 years while at University.
Loved the city, it is extremely working class but very vibrant. Nightlife and social activities are excellent.
Wavertree isn't the poshest area of the city, but rent should be cheap with easy access to the city center.
The nicest suburb I came across was around Crosby heading up towards Formby.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

loubol is an unknown quantity at this point

You might want to read this first: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...281091,00.html

House prices in the Pool are rocketing at the moment.

I live in Cheshire, down the road, and there are plenty of jobs going in LIverpool right now although it does depend what your field is.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

MariaP is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by loubol
You might want to read this first: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...281091,00.html

House prices in the Pool are rocketing at the moment.

I live in Cheshire, down the road, and there are plenty of jobs going in LIverpool right now although it does depend what your field is.
What about for legal secretaries/secretarial and admin fields. Are there many jobs with fairly good salary (although I don't expect London salaries obviously) and is accommodation for 1 bedroom flats furnished or unfurnished nice looking and also fairly reasonable?
Old Aug 14th 2004, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

loubol is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MariaP
What about for legal secretaries/secretarial and admin fields. Are there many jobs with fairly good salary (although I don't expect London salaries obviously) and is accommodation for 1 bedroom flats furnished or unfurnished nice looking and also fairly reasonable?
Can't answer about rented accommodation - try looking online for agencies or else in the local press (Echo, Daily Post).

Doubt you'll have much trouble finding work as a legal secretary. Try the Liverpool branch of Manpower - they get a LOT of vacancies for that type of work. I know this because I was in touch with them recently about an unrelated vacancy and the guy I dealt with was friendly and helpful and also told me that most of the placements they have are in secretarial work. Also try looking in a weekly paper called Jobs NorthWest which comes out on Fridays. That has a lot of vacancies too.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 8:19 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: For Anyone who has lived and worked in Liverpool

You are a scouser, an ugly scouser
You're only happy, on giro day
Your mam's out stealin, your dad's drug dealin
Please don't take my hub caps away.