Anyone from Wales

Old Feb 20th 2011, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone from Wales

A bilingual (English and Welsh) version of "The Rhythym of Life" courtesy of the singers from Ysgol Glanaethwy Performing Arts School in Bangor, North Wales:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAgs3...eature=related
Old Feb 20th 2011, 2:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
One of my closest friends while at uni was a lad from Sir Fon - aka Anglesey, in North Wales - paradoxically a lad with a Scottish name (Andrew) but thoroughly Welsh and a fluent Welsh speaker, like many of his neighbours in the village where he lives with the magnificent but virtually unpronounceable name of Llanerchymedd.

I have visited him at his home several times and enjoy the drive down there from Edinburgh and I always find it interesting driving over the border into Wales from England and see all the road signs becoming bilingual and all the place names turning from Anglo Saxon into Celtic Welsh. Even the "Slow" signs painted on the roads are bilingual and one of the first Welsh words I ever learned was "Araf" - which is the Welsh equivalent of the English "Slow".

It was interesting to note that once over the border into Wales the English word takes precedence of the Welsh, but the further you drive into the more Welsh speaking parts of Wales "Araf" takes precedence over "Slow".

I think you really do have more of a feeling of being in a "foreign" country when you drive out of England and into Wales than you do when driving back home to Scotland from England....no bilingual signs and no "funny looking" place names.
We lived just over the Cheshire/Clwyd border into Wales. I don't know if it's still the case but it was compulsory to learn the Welsh language at school from year 1.

Even my old pink driver's licence was printed in English on one side and Welsh on the other.

Many of the older residents would speak Welsh amongst themselves and many resented the English living in North Wales.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 2:52 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We lived just over the Cheshire/Clwyd border into Wales. I don't know if it's still the case but it was compulsory to learn the Welsh language at school from year 1.

Even my old pink driver's licence was printed in English on one side and Welsh on the other.

Many of the older residents would speak Welsh amongst themselves and many resented the English living in North Wales.
I worked in Bangor from 1991 to 1995 in an office with about 30 or so people. For the vast majority - young and old - Welsh was their first language, and the same was the case for many of our customers. While it made sense to have English as the official office language, and nobody ever made me feel excluded, much of the chatter in the staff room or with customers was in Welsh. I liked this, and would try to pick up words and join in where I could.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 2:54 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Just found out that a tidy little pub near Borough Market called The Rake is kicking off it's 3rd annual Welsh Beer Festival a week from today.

http://therakeblog.wordpress.com/201...beer-festival/

How fortuitous that I'll be in London and free that day!

BE meet-up anyone? I've got about as much chance of Poppy Girl turning up for this one as the last...
Old Feb 20th 2011, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaxslad
well lisvane/cyncoed today is the beverly hills of cardiff south wales now...very snotty...well the residents think they are anyways..
As I recall our neighbours' pads were pretty serious back in those days: one was a Yapp as in Yapp's garages (which I see still exists) and other was MDirector of TWW (Television Wales and West (which does not) - before Harlech). My dad's boss lived in Cefn Coed Road in Cyncoed in a "monster" as well. That much has not really changed but it's hard to find Lisvane when you exit the motorway as there is so much building that makes it unrecognisable and as for Cardiff in general I have no clue when driving as nothing is the way it was, apart from the Civic Centre.

Was last back there five years ago (thought our old house in Mill Road, Lisvane looked rather dilapidated) and stayed in Llantwit Major and up near Raglan (Clytha) on to Aberdyfi (Penhelig) and then down to Fishguard (as a base) - a great visit overall. Visited Swansea and Milford Haven area (Marloes and Hazelbeach) a year ago which I hadn't spent time in in my youth and loved the trip, food and hospitality though Milford Haven itself is very run down.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Feb 20th 2011 at 3:53 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tonrob
Just found out that a tidy little pub near Borough Market called The Rake is kicking off it's 3rd annual Welsh Beer Festival a week from today.

http://therakeblog.wordpress.com/201...beer-festival/

How fortuitous that I'll be in London and free that day!

BE meet-up anyone? I've got about as much chance of Poppy Girl turning up for this one as the last...
Nice to see the Rhymney beer on the list, even if it's brewed in Dowlais these days
Old Feb 21st 2011, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm not Welsh but my Grandmother was from Cardiff. I have a couple of mates here from Wales ( Cardiff ), and I will be spending a week with one of them when I go back in August. he plays in a band called the super Furry Animals, ( ever heard of them ? ).

I am from Manchester UK. originally and I now live in Manchester CA. ( pop. 200 ).

Confuses the hell out of my Mum

By the way, do they make a welsh scrabble game ?

Last edited by coastieexpat; Feb 21st 2011 at 12:40 am. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 21st 2011, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
Well I'm not Welsh but my Grandmother was from Cardiff. I have a couple of mates here from Wales ( Cardiff ), and I will be spending a week with one of them when I go back in August. he plays in a band called the super Furry Animals, ( ever heard of them ? ).
I remember seeing SFA play at Blackwood Institute circa 1995. It cost about £3 for the ticket - those were the days
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:48 am
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by coastieexpat

I am from Manchester UK. originally and I now live in Manchester CA. ( pop. 200 ).

Confuses the hell out of my Mum

By the way, do they make a welsh scrabble game ?
Originally Posted by taffie77
I remember seeing SFA play at Blackwood Institute circa 1995. It cost about £3 for the ticket - those were the days
Love SFA. Probably seen them play at least a dozen times now, including a few in the US! SFA OK!!!
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by soap addict
I'm gutted as well - I hope we can make the top two this year as they dont seem to be too good at the play offs.

Come on you bluebirds
Yep tell me bout it..i went over there to watch the buggers..never had a ticket but had to settle for a Big screen down the cardiff bay..
great start to the game ..i thought we are going up finally....nope they shot themselfs in the foot yet again....

Funny part about it...came back to the states all peed off and picked up the mrs uncle at the airport a few wks later who i never met....where you from i ask...you never guess..
Friggen Blackpool...i was going to chuck him out on I-10

This year.This Year....
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tonrob
Love SFA. Probably seen them play at least a dozen times now, including a few in the US! SFA OK!!!
I never seen one....But it's a dam good idea, you could make a fortune..

It be a good crack getting pissed & playing against your english speaking buddies..
My USC wife proberly kick my butt cas she can speak more welsh than me..
shameful huh
Old Mar 1st 2011, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Happy St Davids Day to my Fellow Taffy's
Old Mar 1st 2011, 4:31 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaxslad
Happy St Davids Day to my Fellow Taffy's
Old Mar 1st 2011, 4:49 pm
Welsh and proud in Texas

tigerbaywarrior is on a distinguished road

CYMRU AM BYTH!!

Old Mar 1st 2011, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Although St David's Day has now passed in Wales itself this is my first opportunity to say "Hwyl Fawr"* to my best mate from uni - a Welsh speaking Taffy of the highest order from Ynys Mon (Anglesey) in North West Wales -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po48n...eature=related

*One of the Welsh language expressions he taught me - I believe it means something like "Have fun bigtime!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.