British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Anyone transported dog recently from US to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/anyone-transported-dog-recently-us-uk-874553/)

LindseyAnn Mar 19th 2016 2:43 am

Anyone transported dog recently from US to UK

I am returning to the UK in July with my dog and am trying to find a good airline. I wanted to go to Manchester, but choices i see are limited. I have been with Cunard before but it is probably too late to get a kennel, so have been looking at flights instead this time. They are ridiculous prices from DFW, where i am, so am considering flying from maybe New York. Also, there are pet embargo's on most airlines in Dallas in July because of the heat.

Anyone?

holly_1948 Mar 23rd 2016 3:28 pm

Re: Anyone transported dog recently from US to UK

Originally Posted by LindseyAnn (Post 11899915)
I am returning to the UK in July with my dog and am trying to find a good airline. I wanted to go to Manchester, but choices i see are limited. I have been with Cunard before but it is probably too late to get a kennel, so have been looking at flights instead this time. They are ridiculous prices from DFW, where i am, so am considering flying from maybe New York. Also, there are pet embargo's on most airlines in Dallas in July because of the heat.
Anyone?

I haven't transported a dog.
But I have read that others having considered all options finally settled on flying (with dog) to Paris and taking the train (or was it train and ferry) to England. You might research this as one of your options.

britwhore Mar 29th 2016 6:17 pm

I flew Virgin from LAX into LHR. Didn't want to put them through the added stress of flying into Paris and then getting the train and a car etc. It was expensive but Virgin have the best track record IMO. If you can fly from JFK you can get across in just over 5 hours depending on tail wind. My sister flew her dog in 5 hours and said everyone at JFK Virgin cargo were so nice. Good luck!

LindseyAnn Mar 29th 2016 10:55 pm

thanks i am still looking at flights and will try Virgin again - yes they are expensive.

dmu Mar 30th 2016 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by holly_1948 (Post 11903707)
I haven't transported a dog.
But I have read that others having considered all options finally settled on flying (with dog) to Paris and taking the train (or was it train and ferry) to England. You might research this as one of your options.

I wouldn't recommend this option at all!!! There have been some threads on the subject on both the MBTTUK and France forums, listing all the problems getting from CdG to the ferry port with a dog by public transport, not to mention that foot passengers can't take pets on board the ferry, and the Eurostar prohibits pets. Add to that the time frame for the worming treatment before leaving France.
One poster decided to get some one to drive from the UK to CdG, to take her and her dog via the Chunnel (but she still had the question of worming to sort out).
All in all, counting the stress for all concerned, it must surely be cheaper to fly direct?