Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone transiting or visiting Dubai, be careful.

Anyone transiting or visiting Dubai, be careful.

Old Feb 21st 2008, 1:39 am
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone transiting or visiting Dubai, be careful.

Just been listening to a piece on Radio 2 about the zero tolerance attitude to drugs in Dubai.
A number of people including a brit transiting through Duabai have been arrested and imprisoned for 4 years after minascule, grain of suger size, amounts of canabis were found on soles of shoes or on baggage.
One women apparantly convicted after poppy seeds from a roll eaten at Heathrow were found on her clothes. Poppy seeds being a banned substance in Dubai.
May be all scaremongering but fair trials international has a list of banned substances, including a lot of over the counter stuff.
Sorry if this is old news, just made me think of the chemist shop we always carry when we travel, just in case. We came and went via Dubai and they do have a lot of security.
http://www.fairtrials.net/index.php/...tances_in_uae/

Last edited by kevinl; Feb 21st 2008 at 1:41 am. Reason: Forgot spell check but you can't spell check from edit anyway. doh
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone transiting or visiting Dubai, be careful.

The guy who was just imprisoned there for 4 years had a spliff in his pocket, not a sugar grain. The old 'I forgot I had it' excuse has worn thin with a lot of customs officers these days...
Old Feb 21st 2008, 4:59 am
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
The guy who was just imprisoned there for 4 years had a spliff in his pocket, not a sugar grain. The old 'I forgot I had it' excuse has worn thin with a lot of customs officers these days...
The one who was just imprisoned wasn't who I was referring to, he was apparently an ex bbc dj and yes he had a useable quantity, some others haven't.
Some people who had prescription medicines have also been held for weeks until they could prove that it was necessary for them to have had the drug in their luggage.

Kevin

The man was called Keith Brown and he had 0.003g of canabis in the tread of his shoe.
http://www.fairtrials.net/index.php/...surge_in_2007/

Last edited by kevinl; Feb 21st 2008 at 5:05 am. Reason: Found link
Old Feb 21st 2008, 5:16 am
Never been to Australia

Just found a better link, just thought this would be of interest for those traveling.

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/...cle3333905.ece
Old Feb 21st 2008, 5:56 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who has just been through with drugs and injections I have to say I had no problems in fact I kept trying to declare them and getting brushed off

all you need to do is take your repeat prescription list and I had a letter from my GP saying I needed these drugs and injections on the flight and needed to carry a supply with me

please don't worry too much
Old Feb 21st 2008, 6:44 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
As someone who has just been through with drugs and injections I have to say I had no problems in fact I kept trying to declare them and getting brushed off

all you need to do is take your repeat prescription list and I had a letter from my GP saying I needed these drugs and injections on the flight and needed to carry a supply with me

please don't worry too much
You just beat me to it asher. I was about to mention my huge drugs haul on my way back from London

Although I wouldnt turn up for your plane drunk because I witnessed a very drunk arab man at 9.30am having a gun pulled on him for arguing with a a guard who told him he wasnt allowed on the plane
Old Feb 21st 2008, 7:16 am
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus, I would be hung drawn and quartered.
solution, dont go to the shit hole.

UAE injustice system
Attempt murder - three months
Beat up your wife - six months
Molest a child - one year
Steal from charity - one year
Drink, drive, kill - one year
Slash four women - two years
Torture your maid - three years
Rape a woman - three years

Smoke cannabis outside the UAE - four years