Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is anyone returning to U.K. from Canada?

Wikiposts

Is anyone returning to U.K. from Canada?

Old Aug 3rd 2006, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is anyone returning to U.K. from Canada?

Originally Posted by Polyhymnia
Good morning! (Here in Holland anyways!)

I signed up a wee while ago, but I've just been lurking. I'm Canadian with a Dutch fiancee and debating a move to the UK or back home to Canada. This forum has been highly recommended by people from all over because - despite its name - it's the only decent one for those who want to move to the UK or Canada! Interesting stuff, thanks!

I thought I'd chime in because I was born in Ajax, near Toronto, but lived in Thunder Bay most of my life. So I can speak for both ends of the province.

First thing to note: Thunder Bay, or rather, Northern Ontario, should be its own province, for it's a totally different world from Southern Ontario.

I love both for different reasons, but here's some things to consider:

1) Thunder Bay, despite a population of 115,000, is isolated. It's somewhat exhilerating for a visitor, having such natural beauty practically in your backyard, but frustrating for someone who lives there, unless you were born and raised there and all your family and friends live there. Otherwise, you are looking at a nine-hour drive to escape the next city, east or west. (Winnipeg or Sault Ste Marie). The closest city is actually Duluth Minnesota USA, a 4-hour drive southwest. It takes a two-day drive of nine hours each to reach Toronto. And, with only a couple of exceptions, most of that drive is on a two-lane highway, with 50 km at least between towns. Plane fares are ridiculous...At least $400 return to Toronto now by Westjet. And no passenger trains; they've been rerouted northward through Sioux Lookout and Armstrong. Despite ongoing lobbying, Via Rail doesn't find it profitable to go through the city.

2) For those moving there for a job, the economy is not so good. When they say Ontario's economy is great, they rarely consider past Sudbury (Get used to that, most of the province past Sudbury is pretty much ignored by the media and government; so take most statistics and "facts" about "Ontario" with a grain of salt). Thunder Bay has always been primary resource-based, and the papermills and grain elevators that once kept our city thriving are closing. This won't affect the person who is moving there for a job...but if your partner wants to work, it may be a problem. There are few opportunities for workers in creative industries, although administrative and healthcare positions are more plentiful.

3) Toronto has more to offer in recreation and world-class events...be prepared to pay however. That being said, it also has incredible restaurants and outdoor patios. Thunder Bay just doesn't have the infrastructure to support patios, but I can recommend Bistro One and Giorg for great dining experiences. There's lots of stuff for kids to do, but if you have teens, they could get somewhat bored, unless they are into sports (especially ice hockey), and frustrated when they have to travel to Winnipeg or Minneapolis (another nine-hour drive south) to access any concerts that were practically in their backyard back home. (I'm speaking as a former teenager in Thunder Bay, and as a mom of a teenager in Thunder Bay!) (That being said, our annual Blues Festival is not to be missed!) Your university-aged kids have a good college and uni to choose from, but the more extensive course offerings and opportunity to play varsity sports may lure them to Southern Ontario and elsewhere.

4) Weather. Well, I have to say that I sometimes prefer the dry cold winters in Thunder Bay to the wet, bone-chilling so-called warmer weather in Toronto. It will dip to minus 30 in Thunder Bay with a worse windchill, but minus 10 in Toronto with its humidity feels more uncomfortable to me. Cars in Thunder Bay have block heaters so you can plug your car into an electrical outlet outside your house so you can start your car in the morning when the temp dips; not necessarily so in Toronto!

However, Thunder Bay is protected from extremes in temperatures and bad weather due to its situation on Lake Superior. I have, in almost 40 years, never experienced disaster-type weather. The yearly snow storm may close schools for a day, and is a bugger to shovel, but we have the equipment and resources to dig our way out within 24 hours. Toronto had to hire the army!

Summers in Thunder Bay are lovely and dry. It can and has reached into the 30s...but it lacks the humidity and smoggy conditions of Toronto. Again, the lake moderates the temperatures; drive away from the lake and the temperatures automatically rise 10 degrees! And nothing beats a Thunder Bay night when the sun doesn't completely set until 11 pm! Toronto is dark by 9, which was hard to get used to! Of course, in the winter you will go to work in the dark and get up in the dark, but that's in both cities...

5) Real estate...that's the big difference. If you want to buy new, you can find housing in Thunder Bay that costs less than $200,000. Decent resale homes can range from about $120,000 to perhaps $300,000 for the ritziest ones.

Hope that helps somewhat! Happy to answer any questions...

Poly
Polyhymnia,

Actually I do have a couple of extra questions: What is wildlife like in TB?
Are there any bears snakes or cougars when you go hiking?
Also I often hear of people driving or walking on frozen lakes etc. Is that not frought with danger of ice breaking etc. Do parents allow children to go and play on frozen lakes. It sounds a bit risky from here?

Please comment.

Gezza
Old Aug 4th 2006, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gezza
Polyhymnia,

Also I often hear of people driving or walking on frozen lakes etc. Is that not frought with danger of ice breaking etc. Do parents allow children to go and play on frozen lakes. It sounds a bit risky from here?

Please comment.

Gezza
Hi Gezza

Saw your questions and thought I'd pitch in. There are bears in/near Thunder Bay, on the outskirts of the city in the provincial parks. No snakes that I know of and very few cougars if any - the only wildcats found in any numbers in NW Ontario are bobcats and lynx.
I regularly go walking in the bush here and have never seen any (only seen one dart over the road in front of the car on the highway, big puddy tat!).

Thankfully I haven't come across any bears either, but they are more likely to run away from me as they're quite shy of humans. I carry a whistle and always look around for a few throwing sized rocks when I'm walking. I carry a fish-filleting knife on my belt too but thankfully haven't had to put that one to the test yet!!
When camping I keep a metal pot handy and something to bang on it as the noise frightens them away. Bears regularly prowl through campsites at night and will have a go at a BBQ that hasn't been cleaned properly, but they always run off when disturbed. Black bears tend to get bad press unfortunately which makes people wary of them - they tend to only go for a human if you sneak up on them and scare them or a mother will attack to defend her cubs if she feels threatened by your presence (spring time).

As for walking/driving on ice, don't worry - the ice is probably about 3-4ft thick!! Here in Red Lake part of the municipality is an island and I regularly went over the ice road last year to get to the ski trails. I drive a Jeep Liberty which is quite chunky and was driving over the ice until probably about end of March. The islanders really push it and drive over until the water comes up to the door sill of the car!! Here the OPP tell the municipality when they think it's time to shut the ice road, but people do go out and check the thickness of the ice regulalry as there's a minimum thickness standard for safety as far as the municipality is concerned. The islanders gun the snowmobiles across the broken ice/open water when it really thaws and then resort to canoe, one foot in one foot out to punt over the ice floes!! Apparently every year the same guy goes out in a canoe with an axe to break a channel for canoes/boats when snowmobiles are no longer possible.
At the other end of the season at freeze-up the ferry will still cross even though it's breaking ice strong enough to walk on.

Families go skating on the lakes and snowmobilers use it all the time. Heck the bush planes even land on it with their skis!!!

It's something I don't think I'll ever get used to, driving on ice, especially coming from the UK where you grow up being told to stay off it as it's likely to break!! But up, gotta get used to it!!

Hope this helps - I know it's not specifically T Bay, but more or less the same temperatures and conditions in winter.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 1:40 am
Just Joined

Polyhymnia is an unknown quantity at this point

Polyhymnia,

Please comment.

Gezza
You're main concerns will be skunks and mosquitos! They are all over the city in the summertime. Many people who build out in the country have faced moose and bears (and a moose once wandered into town once, a bit lost!). And my dad used to get p.o'd at a fox who used to steal his golf balls!

You're big concern will be with deer and especially moose if you're driving the highways. Especially at night; especially in foggy weather. They stop in the middle of the road, blinded by your headlights and freeze. A collision with a moose will probably total your car and could be fatal.

Snakes? No poisonous ones. And cougars aren't indigenous to that region.

There have been many accidents from falling through a frozen body of water whose ice isn't thick enough. However, that is from sheer stupidity most of the time; there are good warnings when it's risky to cross on foot or vehicle. Lots of signage and news reports. In the dead of winter, like January, many people skidoo on the ice or go ice fishing quite safely. But kids playing on the ice? Nah. Most people do not live year round near water; they just haven't built housing on the waterfront as it is property formerly occupied by industry or it's parkland owned by the city. Mostly only summer cottages have lakefront access.

So stupid happens, but it's not widespread.

Poly
Old Aug 4th 2006, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Most people do not live year round near water; they just haven't built housing on the waterfront as it is property formerly occupied by industry or it's parkland owned by the city. Mostly only summer cottages have lakefront access.

So stupid happens, but it's not widespread.

Poly
The Lake Superior - does it have a nice front like a beach where you can go and sit for a picnic or have a swim or let children play in water?
Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:22 am
Just Joined

The Lake Superior - does it have a nice front like a beach where you can go and sit for a picnic or have a swim or let children play in water?
It "can"...

The south side of the city has Chippewa Park, which they are trying to refurbish back to it's past glory going back 40 50 years ago. It has picnic areas, but in the summer, the water can become infested with a certain kind of bacteria. It is well publicized when the water isn't suitable for swimming.

There is also Boulevard Lake, a manmade lake in the middle of the city, which is also prone to bacteria problems, but also has nice picnic areas.

There is also Kakabeka Falls Provincial Park, about 17 km west of the city...a must-see, just gorgeous! (I have a picture of it on my desktop at work!)...It also has picnic areas, I believe...

Here's a couple of websites to check out:

HTML Code:
http://www.thunderbay.ca/index.cfm?fuse=html&pg=293
This is the official City Tourism site.

HTML Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder_Bay,_Ontario
A good write-up from Wikipedia with lots of links!

Hope this helps!
Old Aug 4th 2006, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

It "can"...

The south side of the city has Chippewa Park, which they are trying to refurbish back to it's past glory going back 40 50 years ago. It has picnic areas, but in the summer, the water can become infested with a certain kind of bacteria. It is well publicized when the water isn't suitable for swimming.

There is also Boulevard Lake, a manmade lake in the middle of the city, which is also prone to bacteria problems, but also has nice picnic areas.

There is also Kakabeka Falls Provincial Park, about 17 km west of the city...a must-see, just gorgeous! (I have a picture of it on my desktop at work!)...It also has picnic areas, I believe...

Here's a couple of websites to check out:

HTML Code:
http://www.thunderbay.ca/index.cfm?fuse=html&pg=293
This is the official City Tourism site.

HTML Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder_Bay,_Ontario
A good write-up from Wikipedia with lots of links!

Hope this helps!
This is a bit worrying. I thought next to a big lake like that I can go swimming no problem. I am actually into swimming a bit, and have swam long distances for Charity and Sponsorship a few times in the past. When I lived in Vancouver we had a few "smallish" lakes each less than 1 hour drive from home which many people used for swimming and canoeing.
Are there other lakes such places around TB, maybe driving North, where one is guaranteed to be able to swim in the summer?
Old Aug 4th 2006, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

This is a bit worrying. I thought next to a big lake like that I can go swimming no problem. I am actually into swimming a bit, and have swam long distances for Charity and Sponsorship a few times in the past. When I lived in Vancouver we had a few "smallish" lakes each less than 1 hour drive from home which many people used for swimming and canoeing.
Are there other lakes such places around TB, maybe driving North, where one is guaranteed to be able to swim in the summer?
No problems swimming here in any of the lakes. In fact they had the triathlon a couple of weeks ago and the swimming component involved having to swim out into the bay and round a couple of seaplanes and back!
Old Aug 4th 2006, 7:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TrishB
No problems swimming here in any of the lakes. In fact they had the triathlon a couple of weeks ago and the swimming component involved having to swim out into the bay and round a couple of seaplanes and back!
That being said, Red Lake is not Thunder Bay! In fact, it's a few hours drive northwest of the city. In the actual city, I really don't see people lake swimming. Lake Superior is very cold for one. People splash around when the bacteria warnings aren't on, but the water is mostly used for activities like boating, fishing, water skiing and tubing! You can rent a huge tire innertube, park yourself in one, and float down the Kaministiqua River...a favourite summertime activity here. I can't speak for Red Lake, only within city limits; you won't see beaches within the city except for at Chippewa and Boulevard.
Old Aug 6th 2006, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
I keep seeing letters about why immigrants from England are returning to U.K. from Oz or NZ but was curious if there are any folks who after emigrating to Canada, staying there 2 years or so are now returing back to the U.K.

Could anyone share why they would do that?
Hi there
I just thought i would drop a little post here to say that i have return from canada only yesterday. If you check out my previous posts you will see i have been through. I was there for three years and it was not a good experience for me personally. I still love Canada but for me it was not meant to be at this time.
I used AMJ cambell international for my shipping and this is a door to door service. They were extremly helpfull and good prices.
I sent 100c feet and door to door it was $1400.(including taxes).

I hope this helps.
If you need any more info then you can email me or contact me via email.
Canada is not the same for everyone!
take care
Old Aug 7th 2006, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by babyblue
Hi there
I just thought i would drop a little post here to say that i have return from canada only yesterday. If you check out my previous posts you will see i have been through. I was there for three years and it was not a good experience for me personally. I still love Canada but for me it was not meant to be at this time.
I used AMJ cambell international for my shipping and this is a door to door service. They were extremly helpfull and good prices.

I hope this helps.
take care
Thanks Babyblue,Do you know where I can get the list fo your complains?
Old Aug 7th 2006, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babyblue
Hi there

I hope this helps.
take care
Welcome home babyblue, glad to see the move went well. Do post and let everyone know how your getting on.