Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone returned kids for uni & escaped 3yr rule?

Anyone returned kids for uni & escaped 3yr rule?

Old May 27th 2010, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

sarahburns is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone returned kids for uni & escaped 3yr rule?

does that mean if it doesnt say anything about that stupid 3 yr rule on the website of the uni then they cant charge me international fees? do they have to put it on their website or can they just mention it when it comes to accepting an offer?

thanks so much for your help!
Old May 27th 2010, 12:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahburns
does that mean if it doesnt say anything about that stupid 3 yr rule on the website of the uni then they cant charge me international fees? do they have to put it on their website or can they just mention it when it comes to accepting an offer?

thanks so much for your help!
No it doesn't. You need to contact the university/universities you are interested in and find out.
Old May 27th 2010, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it really doesn sound like you'd not have a problem...just be prepared for some wrangling if the LEA gets involved.

Why would you prefer to study at a UK uni...apart from the partner not speaking German. I always thought German uni's offered far better degrees...and less drinking and getting beaten-up/mugged outside the pub afterwards!

Originally Posted by sarahburns
o okay, yeh not really an option for me. i have my reasons why id like to study in the uk. .
Old May 27th 2010, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of LEA's, we had one uni which offered local fees for my son, but said they couldn't guarantee that the LEA (which seems to be run by the local Council) wouldn't overide their decision. Can they? How does it all work now - who actually gets the final say?
Old May 27th 2010, 10:51 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Anyone returned kids for uni & escaped 3yr rule?

Originally Posted by ezzie
Talking of LEA's, we had one uni which offered local fees for my son, but said they couldn't guarantee that the LEA (which seems to be run by the local Council) wouldn't overide their decision. Can they? How does it all work now - who actually gets the final say?
It's the LEA (yes funded by local taxpayers via the local Council) which agrees to pay the student's tuition fees to the university....on the other hand, as long as the uni is assured that the course fees are going to be paid, they will offer a place if the student meets all other criteria.

Essex County Council would not pay for my daughter's tuition fees, despite us (still) having a house there; we went on an expat posting to Singapore when she was aged 10 and she returned to England to go to boarding school in Oxford from the age of 16 to take 'A' levels. Essex CC said that she lived in Oxford and it was their jurisdiction... Her degree course was funded by the NHS and in the end I think we used my mother's address in Coventry as my daughter stayed with her at exeats and half-terms....
Old May 28th 2010, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you prefer to study at a UK uni...apart from the partner not speaking German. I always thought German uni's offered far better degrees...
Why?

I thought your kids were born in Australia? That's amazing if you do get it for them, I would be annoyed to pay foreign rates for mine if I knew that was the case.