Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone returned home from Canada

Anyone returned home from Canada

Old Aug 18th 2010, 6:48 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone returned home from Canada

Originally Posted by sans
I paid an absolute fortune for 2 leather sofa's in Canada, they were only 8 mths old when we left.... I would never of even come close to the price had i of tried selling them. They arrived all scuffed and one of the sofa's had a broken frame :curse: But damed if i was going to leave them behind
That's a shame ... those sofas were lovely, had my pockets been deeper I'd have bought them from you

Life seems too easy now...just might have to go back and shake things up again OH would hang,dry and quarter me i think for even thinking it haha........
Do you have an uncontrollable urge to try driving a Mini through the snow first thing in the morning again?!!

Last edited by bananahammock; Aug 18th 2010 at 6:51 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 8:33 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bananahammock
That's a shame ... those sofas were lovely, had my pockets been deeper I'd have bought them from you

Do you have an uncontrollable urge to try driving a Mini through the snow first thing in the morning again?!!
Hi babana

Will reply but mad busy!!! I'll write tonight when I get back. Bye.....
Old Aug 18th 2010, 8:48 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

I can laugh about it now...it sure as hell was'nt funny at the time 5.30 am and what must of been 5-6 inches of snow...up and down those hills haha....But bless she got me to my destination be it an hr late...

You still want to buy them??? lols You can if you organise the shipping lmao
the big clock was smashed, half my ornament.....( the best ones, of course) and that big new mattress argh!!! had been dragged along the floor till the corners were in shredds......

So how are you?????.....Did you get your citizenship?

Last edited by sans; Aug 18th 2010 at 8:50 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
Oh gooness, let's hope we don't have the same experience. Poor you. We have an expensive painting that they are 'special' wrapping but I'm so nervous about it. We spent ages going though the pros and cons of shipping so in the end we've sold some stuff and kept some. It's crazy, just a few boxes would be $2000 and the whole house would be $4800. The more you take the better.

Anyway, it's all moving along.....slowly.....things are certainly better all round and we're now just looking forward to it all.

The dog started her Well Mannered dog course last night and did very well so it looks promising that she's coming with us. Two days of crying about rehoming her indicated we love her and she's part of the family...warts and all.

Shippers arrive on 25th Aug so I'll let you know how it goes. As of the 31st we'll be homeless!
good luck LB, wow that seems to have flown!!

I don't think we will take much back, seeing as it took us 8 months to even buy a bed shows our lack of commitment to our new country!! ( our rental house has the mimilistic look, ikea style)!! so we will be starting all over again!
Old Aug 19th 2010, 4:35 am
Bristolish expat

bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

I can laugh about it now...it sure as hell was'nt funny at the time 5.30 am and what must of been 5-6 inches of snow...up and down those hills haha....But bless she got me to my destination be it an hr late...

You still want to buy them??? lols You can if you organise the shipping lmao
the big clock was smashed, half my ornament.....( the best ones, of course) and that big new mattress argh!!! had been dragged along the floor till the corners were in shredds......

So how are you?????.....Did you get your citizenship?
As I recall you weren't laughing at the time ... I would love to buy them but you are a bit too far away now & I probably still couldn't afford them ~ can't believe all that stuff got wrecked, hope they paid you for it!!

I'm fine ta, will be glad when it cools down a bit (not too much though!) & yep, we got our Citizenship last month
Old Aug 19th 2010, 8:02 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

As I recall you weren't laughing at the time ... I would love to buy them but you are a bit too far away now & I probably still couldn't afford them ~ can't believe all that stuff got wrecked, hope they paid you for it!!

I'm fine ta, will be glad when it cools down a bit (not too much though!) & yep, we got our Citizenship last month
Cool down U sun worshipper U

Nope didn't get a penny They were not interested and as you know money was that tight, we couldn't afford more then the basic shipping insurance But their attitude was terrible .....brushed us off on the phone and didn't reply to emails or letters...Bad company

Hope that means your more settled now Is OH still doing that daily 4hr drive, to work and back? It buggerd K, doing it....but he's back on his own comfort ground and fluffing his feathers lols
Old Aug 20th 2010, 4:31 am
Bristolish expat

Cool down U sun worshipper U

Nope didn't get a penny They were not interested and as you know money was that tight, we couldn't afford more then the basic shipping insurance But their attitude was terrible .....brushed us off on the phone and didn't reply to emails or letters...Bad company

Hope that means your more settled now Is OH still doing that daily 4hr drive, to work and back? It buggerd K, doing it....but he's back on his own comfort ground and fluffing his feathers lols
There are about 300 wild fires burning in BC at the mo so it's more of a smoke worshipper than a sun worshipper!!

Yep, relatively settled, he still drives to Victoria every day ... hes since been offered a job here but the $$/pension/vacation is way better down there. Wouldn't surprise me if we ended up living there eventually, maybe when the kids fly the nest.

Me & No1 child are off to Vancouver for the weekend to see Michael Buble ... I'm more of a headbanger myself but am going for an oggle
Old Aug 20th 2010, 8:07 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

There are about 300 wild fires burning in BC at the mo so it's more of a smoke worshipper than a sun worshipper!!

Yep, relatively settled, he still drives to Victoria every day ... hes since been offered a job here but the $$/pension/vacation is way better down there. Wouldn't surprise me if we ended up living there eventually, maybe when the kids fly the nest.

Me & No1 child are off to Vancouver for the weekend to see Michael Buble ... I'm more of a headbanger myself but am going for an oggle
Buble spends alot of time in the UK......I dont mind him, isn't he from Vancouver? Ought to PM you really Ought to PM afew peeps... computer went A wall and lost all emails. So lost contact with afew

Pleased your more settled talk soon eh x
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice

It cost us $6800 groupage, 2 yrs ago and that was the cheaper quote...It ended up costing us alot more in the end Bad choice on our part.......Anyway thats history now lols
Wow, that's a lot! Might be histpry for you but any advice on avoiding such an expense?!
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 12:59 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by Esme
Wow, that's a lot! Might be histpry for you but any advice on avoiding such an expense?!
Nope...sorry but its all expense, that was the cheapest quote we got and like i said it ended up costing us alot more then if we had gone with the dearer one and still have our stuff in tacked

But dont forget Esma we were on the opposite side of Canada to you...so it would be more expensive for us...Our shipment had to travel by ferry to Vancouver and then over land to Montreal, before it was thrown on a boat ( literally).
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice

Nope...sorry but its all expense, that was the cheapest quote we got and like i said it ended up costing us alot more then if we had gone with the dearer one and still have our stuff in tacked

But dont forget Esma we were on the opposite side of Canada to you...so it would be more expensive for us...Our shipment had to travel by ferry to Vancouver and then over land to Montreal, before it was thrown on a boat ( literally).
yeah, I made the BIG mistake of moving to Newfoundland - it's gonna cost some extra to get it off the island. I figure anything is worth it to come home again!

I would agree about going with the better quote - when I moved here work paid and took the cheaper quote (also ended up more expensive as it had to stay in storage for a month). I got a lot of stuff damaged. I will be going with one of the recognised moving companies for sure!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

perkinsgap is an unknown quantity at this point

Well i moved back to UK on june 6th 2010 after 5 1/2 yrs in sk and mb I miss Canada and I am now going back on 9th sept 2010 I forgot how the UK was finding it very hard to find a job even renting a house even thought the weather been good theres been days where it been raining damp and cold and I am well used to the cold but I know I can't do a UK winter. I am glad I came back just see what I wasn't missing here in UK Canada a great place to live I now realise that after taking time out from being there.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by perkinsgap
Well i moved back to UK on june 6th 2010 after 5 1/2 yrs in sk and mb I miss Canada and I am now going back on 9th sept 2010 I forgot how the UK was finding it very hard to find a job even renting a house even thought the weather been good theres been days where it been raining damp and cold and I am well used to the cold but I know I can't do a UK winter. I am glad I came back just see what I wasn't missing here in UK Canada a great place to live I now realise that after taking time out from being there.

Can you elaborate a little more, what area did you go back to, what jobs were you looking for etc?
Old Sep 1st 2010, 12:36 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perkinsgap
OMG you've been there 3 months!

All this back and forth so quick must be stressful
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

perkinsgap is an unknown quantity at this point

Southampton hgv class 1 driver

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.