Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone returned home from Canada

Anyone returned home from Canada

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:06 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone returned home from Canada

We came back nearly a year ago and we're enjoying it overall, but I wouldn't say we'll never return. Nice to have the options.

We were in Victoria, and it's gorgeous, but such a long way from things I want to do/see, whereas here everything's so close. Love BBC radio 4 and a lot of the British TV programmes. Not so keen on the library system, at least where we are. The library branch near us in Victoria was way better in all respects.

You can see we mostly live a quiet life, but it's great to be seeing more of old friends and to be able to make short trips to interesting places.

We're up in Whitby, N Yorks, but we're moving south because it's too cold. We expected cold, but not so much. I think the climate might have made a shift to the colder side because the Gulf Stream has shifted a bit. It's going a bit north instead of hitting the SW straight on. FWIW.

Bev
Old Aug 10th 2010, 11:35 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
Hi Sans

I can relate entirely. Life here in the Comox Valley has been a struggle for us too and we often think it's just us. People with bigger mortgages and crappy wages seem to afford a better life style than us but I guess it's a credit card life style. Who knows how they do it.

I'm a teacher so I get laid off every year if I can get a position and I do part time ballet teaching in the evenings. My hubby is in IT and has a good job but it doesn't pay that great and no promotion prospects. So, the long and short of it is, we would be better off financially at home, WE THINK, WE HOPE!

I'm so stressed out about it all and on top of it all we have decided to leave the dog behind......another thread! I'm returning with a hubby and 2 kids, having left on a solo trip. Madness....

I'm glad it all worked out for you. If you have any top tips for coping with it all let me know. Where did you go back too?
Hi ....Not sure how long you have been out there, we was only there for 14 mths So we should of been able to fit straight back in ( we didn't) it took awhile. Which really supprised me.

We are in North/east Lincolnshire..very down to earth, people generally say what they think and think what they say Which is how we were when we arrived in Canada....

What i'm trying to say is dont expect everything to be exactly the same as when you left, because you wont be Lifes alot slower out there and it doesn't take long for it to rub off...( I'm being extremely polite in my wording)

Everything seemed very small to us, we got used to the wide rds on VI.....But the food is amazing and the banter is real haha ( had to get that bit in)

Weather here in Linc's has been scortching..for the most part since March ..weve not had much rain at all, its been a relief when it has rained.

So where you heading back too?

Know good me saying dont stress...cos you will. Just try and take each day as it comes
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:10 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sans
Hi ....Not sure how long you have been out there, we was only there for 14 mths So we should of been able to fit straight back in ( we didn't) it took awhile. Which really supprised me.

We are in North/east Lincolnshire..very down to earth, people generally say what they think and think what they say Which is how we were when we arrived in Canada....

What i'm trying to say is dont expect everything to be exactly the same as when you left, because you wont be Lifes alot slower out there and it doesn't take long for it to rub off...( I'm being extremely polite in my wording)

Everything seemed very small to us, we got used to the wide rds on VI.....But the food is amazing and the banter is real haha ( had to get that bit in)

Weather here in Linc's has been scortching..for the most part since March ..weve not had much rain at all, its been a relief when it has rained.

So where you heading back too?

Know good me saying dont stress...cos you will. Just try and take each day as it comes
Souds good Sans and I'm amazed that the weather's been so good. Hooray! I'm nervous about settling back but I'll give it time. I just hope my husband gets a good job without a horrenous commute. We'll see.....it's exciting and nerve wracking.

Oh, and the dog is back on! She's in therapy, no word of a lie. We will be too if we carry on like this. I'll be MUCH happier if she comes with us as I do love her and she's part of the family. I'm worried how my 4 year old will perceive us getting rid of her. She's been his only sibling these past three years and he loves her. She won't be coming to Mexico though so will stay with a friend. A lovely northern girl who I haven't known that long. Very sweet of her and a big relief.

OK, I'm off to continue moving boxes aroun and achieving nothing! Any pearls of wisdom will be appreciated. It's good to talk to someone who knows the island.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:14 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Souds good Sans and I'm amazed that the weather's been so good. Hooray! I'm nervous about settling back but I'll give it time. I just hope my husband gets a good job without a horrenous commute. We'll see.....it's exciting and nerve wracking.

Oh, and the dog is back on! She's in therapy, no word of a lie. We will be too if we carry on like this. I'll be MUCH happier if she comes with us as I do love her and she's part of the family. I'm worried how my 4 year old will perceive us getting rid of her. She's been his only sibling these past three years and he loves her. She won't be coming to Mexico though so will stay with a friend. A lovely northern girl who I haven't known that long. Very sweet of her and a big relief.

OK, I'm off to continue moving boxes aroun and achieving nothing! Any pearls of wisdom will be appreciated. It's good to talk to someone who knows the island.
Pleased to hear your dog is comin home too I have 3 cats and getting them back home was the biggest stress, for me...but i could never of left them.
They always say bad winter good summer...and we had more snow then ive seen for 30yrs, last winter. As i'm sat writing this, i can barely see the comp screen for the sun blasting through the windows .

Not sure what to say on the jobs front.....Some areas are really struggling and others are doing well ?????? But in my kneck of the woods, their seems to be teaching jobs regularly advertised in the local paper. I think that is one area that is not being cut...by the torys.

I have 2 14 yr olds ( boy/ girl twins) and they are doing great at school My son who is abit laid back, was put down a level to his sister on returning( who is far from laid back)lols.....But he has jumped up 2 levels this yr YEAH!!!!
Who is doing your shipping???? Be careful who you choose if you want to PM me
Anyway have fun, with your packin...We are headin off to Orlando at Xmas ( 1st time) we'd never of been able to do that, had we of still been in Canada...thats for sure Take care and good Luck x
Old Aug 15th 2010, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

mark.robertson is an unknown quantity at this point

We are moving back to England soon. my wife is Canadian as is my son, so i think it should be ok for them to move over. we live in Saskatoon, SK, Canada at the minute, been here for 5 years, and i never have been happy really. My family in the uk, are from clitheroe, lancashire, and the wife loves it there, green hills, and all that. There may be problems in the uk, but Canada has problems to, and Saskatoon has one of the highest crime rates in Canada. Saying that, canada is a nice place, but sometimes, if your British, home is where your heart is, and sometimes, the grass is not greener on the other side.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice

Originally Posted by mark.robertson
We are moving back to England soon. my wife is Canadian as is my son, so i think it should be ok for them to move over. we live in Saskatoon, SK, Canada at the minute, been here for 5 years, and i never have been happy really. My family in the uk, are from clitheroe, lancashire, and the wife loves it there, green hills, and all that. There may be problems in the uk, but Canada has problems to, and Saskatoon has one of the highest crime rates in Canada. Saying that, canada is a nice place, but sometimes, if your British, home is where your heart is, and sometimes, the grass is not greener on the other side.
Hear, Hear! (I could not have said it better myself )
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:43 am
Just Joined

gilsland is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the site Mark,We've been back a year now,after 30 years
in Canada(British Columbia).Good luck in your move.
Peter
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:49 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Pleased to hear your dog is comin home too I have 3 cats and getting them back home was the biggest stress, for me...but i could never of left them.
They always say bad winter good summer...and we had more snow then ive seen for 30yrs, last winter. As i'm sat writing this, i can barely see the comp screen for the sun blasting through the windows .

Not sure what to say on the jobs front.....Some areas are really struggling and others are doing well ?????? But in my kneck of the woods, their seems to be teaching jobs regularly advertised in the local paper. I think that is one area that is not being cut...by the torys.

I have 2 14 yr olds ( boy/ girl twins) and they are doing great at school My son who is abit laid back, was put down a level to his sister on returning( who is far from laid back)lols.....But he has jumped up 2 levels this yr YEAH!!!!
Who is doing your shipping???? Be careful who you choose if you want to PM me
Anyway have fun, with your packin...We are headin off to Orlando at Xmas ( 1st time) we'd never of been able to do that, had we of still been in Canada...thats for sure Take care and good Luck x
So glad to hear your kids have settled in and doing well in school. Kids are amazing eh? Much more resilient and resourceful than us elders!

I was looking at house prices around Lincolnshire. Amazingly cheap and it looks beautiful. How do you find it? How's the old weather been? Not that I care about weather these days......I'm loving the sun on the island right now but the winters are REALLY long and boring if you don't go skiing which is near impossible with two small kids.

As for moving, we have Bekins. Any idea what they're like? They did a very good quote and they've been great so far. They're coming ont he 25th YIKES!!!!! Are we ready? Noooo.......
Old Aug 16th 2010, 9:02 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by mark.robertson
Us Northerners Eh what we like......So true, Home is where the heart is and some of us have a harder time changing homelands...Good Luck
Old Aug 16th 2010, 9:35 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

So glad to hear your kids have settled in and doing well in school. Kids are amazing eh? Much more resilient and resourceful than us elders!

I was looking at house prices around Lincolnshire. Amazingly cheap and it looks beautiful. How do you find it? How's the old weather been? Not that I care about weather these days......I'm loving the sun on the island right now but the winters are REALLY long and boring if you don't go skiing which is near impossible with two small kids.

As for moving, we have Bekins. Any idea what they're like? They did a very good quote and they've been great so far. They're coming ont he 25th YIKES!!!!! Are we ready? Noooo.......
Sorry not heard of Bekins.....We was talked in to using someone local, by our realtor Who came over brilliant to us, they packed our goods and then shipped them over to Vancouver where Cambells International took over Mmmm...Big mistake ( long story) but short version is.. after lots of phone calls and emails and very bad attitudes..we finally recieved our stuff after 20 wks and half of it was in bits So would not reccommend...

Really wish we had gone with the dearer quote we got from Williams....Who had delivered our goods when we arrived in Canada..all in one piece ( another lesson learned).

Luv Lincolnshire....Lots of low sweeping hills, mainly farmland but very pretty.....They say house prices are dropping again ??? I was brought up here so its home for us
Weve had acouple of really good storms since i last posted The rain was really needed tho Its been very dry and sunny since about March....

I spent the last couple of days giving loads of our stuff away to anyone who wanted it lols ....and if its for free, they will be queing down the rd
Old Aug 16th 2010, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice

I spent the last couple of days giving loads of our stuff away to anyone who wanted it lols ....and if its for free, they will be queing down the rd
Ain't that the truth.... I still haven't decided what to bring home but I'm loathe to bring big furniture (as none of it is really high class stuff - Ikea/Sears cheapest!). It's kinda sould destroying to have to give stuff away but probably better than shipping it home then wondering why you bothered.....
Old Aug 16th 2010, 5:08 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by Esme
Ain't that the truth.... I still haven't decided what to bring home but I'm loathe to bring big furniture (as none of it is really high class stuff - Ikea/Sears cheapest!). It's kinda sould destroying to have to give stuff away but probably better than shipping it home then wondering why you bothered.....
I paid an absolute fortune for 2 leather sofa's in Canada, they were only 8 mths old when we left.... I would never of even come close to the price had i of tried selling them. They arrived all scuffed and one of the sofa's had a broken frame :curse: But damed if i was going to leave them behind
Old Aug 17th 2010, 6:49 pm
Lost in Space

I paid an absolute fortune for 2 leather sofa's in Canada, they were only 8 mths old when we left.... I would never of even come close to the price had i of tried selling them. They arrived all scuffed and one of the sofa's had a broken frame :curse: But damed if i was going to leave them behind
Oh gooness, let's hope we don't have the same experience. Poor you. We have an expensive painting that they are 'special' wrapping but I'm so nervous about it. We spent ages going though the pros and cons of shipping so in the end we've sold some stuff and kept some. It's crazy, just a few boxes would be $2000 and the whole house would be $4800. The more you take the better.

Anyway, it's all moving along.....slowly.....things are certainly better all round and we're now just looking forward to it all.

The dog started her Well Mannered dog course last night and did very well so it looks promising that she's coming with us. Two days of crying about rehoming her indicated we love her and she's part of the family...warts and all.

Shippers arrive on 25th Aug so I'll let you know how it goes. As of the 31st we'll be homeless!
Old Aug 17th 2010, 11:51 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh gooness, let's hope we don't have the same experience. Poor you. We have an expensive painting that they are 'special' wrapping but I'm so nervous about it. We spent ages going though the pros and cons of shipping so in the end we've sold some stuff and kept some. It's crazy, just a few boxes would be $2000 and the whole house would be $4800. The more you take the better.

Anyway, it's all moving along.....slowly.....things are certainly better all round and we're now just looking forward to it all.

The dog started her Well Mannered dog course last night and did very well so it looks promising that she's coming with us. Two days of crying about rehoming her indicated we love her and she's part of the family...warts and all.

Shippers arrive on 25th Aug so I'll let you know how it goes. As of the 31st we'll be homeless!
OMG! Good luck and let us all know how it goes!
Old Aug 18th 2010, 7:18 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

It cost us $6800 groupage, 2 yrs ago and that was the cheaper quote...It ended up costing us alot more in the end Bad choice on our part.......Anyway thats history now lols

I'm sure everything will be just fine for you When do you actually leave Canada? We stayed in a hotel for afew days, just before we left. Which was fine really, gave us time to chill.....before trying to get 3 cats my son and all our luggage from Nanaimo to Van airport on a float plane lmao

Life seems too easy now...just might have to go back and shake things up again OH would hang,dry and quarter me i think for even thinking it haha........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.