Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone return home without citizenship?

Anyone return home without citizenship?

Old Jul 29th 2010, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all
Default Anyone return home without citizenship?

I'm just curious if anyone here returned home without getting their citizenship in the country they were leaving. I have been holding out to get mine, but circumstances make me want to leave before that now and that is what we have been planning. There is still a part of me that wants that citizenship, but I also just want to go home now.

Anyone left without their citizenship, and do you regret it?
Old Jul 29th 2010, 6:06 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone return home without citizenship?

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
I'm just curious if anyone here returned home without getting their citizenship in the country they were leaving. I have been holding out to get mine, but circumstances make me want to leave before that now and that is what we have been planning. There is still a part of me that wants that citizenship, but I also just want to go home now.

I'll be leaving without citizenship which isn't too much of a problem as I won't lose my residency as I'm maried to a Canadian. I wish I had applied for it a long time ago but I didn't forsee us leaving as work was starting to get batter then suddenly the job situation changed and we had a baby! I would stay for citizenship but we simply can't afford it unfortunately and like you I need to go home.....like NEEEEEED to go home!!!
Old Jul 29th 2010, 6:13 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

I would get it, just in case you ever change your mind...makes all sorts of things easier...and contrary to (some peoples) popular belief..you dont have to renounce your UK Citizenship or any of that malarkey...just so you know...
Old Jul 29th 2010, 6:18 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SDDep
I would get it, just in case you ever change your mind...makes all sorts of things easier...and contrary to (some peoples) popular belief..you dont have to renounce your UK Citizenship or any of that malarkey...just so you know...
I have to agree as you may really kick yourself in the not too distant future. We can't predict how living in the UK is going to be so it's always wise to be able to come back. I would think long and hard before you give that up.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Yeah, I always agreed that it was a good idea to get my citizenship before leaving, but I've just gotten to a point where I feel like I can't take it anymore. I also want our baby to grow up around its grandparents in the UK. This will be their first grandchild and I know it's been hard for them to be so far away from me, but now their only grandchild too?

I'll have to have my conditions removed on my greencard soon and then I think I have to wait another yearto be eligible for citizenship. Then by the time I actually get citizenship, i'm thinking we're looking at at least two years, so I'm just not sure.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 7:35 pm
Lost in Space

Yeah, I always agreed that it was a good idea to get my citizenship before leaving, but I've just gotten to a point where I feel like I can't take it anymore. I also want our baby to grow up around its grandparents in the UK. This will be their first grandchild and I know it's been hard for them to be so far away from me, but now their only grandchild too?

I'll have to have my conditions removed on my greencard soon and then I think I have to wait another yearto be eligible for citizenship. Then by the time I actually get citizenship, i'm thinking we're looking at at least two years, so I'm just not sure.
That's a long time if you're not happy. Are you married to an American? Sorry, I forget.... I know I can't wait another two years for Canadian citizenship as it just feels too long away. My mindset is to get home and get looking for work, house......reconnect with friends.....it's overwhelming some days and exciting on others eh? How does your partner feel about going?
Old Jul 29th 2010, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
That's a long time if you're not happy. Are you married to an American? Sorry, I forget.... I know I can't wait another two years for Canadian citizenship as it just feels too long away. My mindset is to get home and get looking for work, house......reconnect with friends.....it's overwhelming some days and exciting on others eh? How does your partner feel about going?
I am married to an American, yes. He wants to go now! lol He doesn't have a lot going on here either. He's not as close to his family as I am with mine. In recent months I've found myself reflecting on my time here and have really felt almost like i've wasted a bit of my life, so the thought of waiting another two years just seems like even more of a waste. Kind of like my life is on hold. I feel like i've missed so much time and many special occassions with family. I don't want to miss anymore.

Last Christmas, a friend of mine here who is an expat of another country lost her mother in a car accident. My heart broke for her! I worry about my family getting older and the possibility of accidents and illness and not being there. I want to make the most of whatever time we have together in life because you never know what's around the corner. A little morbid, I know! But it's things like this that make me wonder is waiting for citizenship really worth it?
Old Jul 30th 2010, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

Yes ...made one big mistake, incase I make another I don't want to 'burn my boats'. Another reason is I know the UK is home for me but when my kids grow up they may want to come back to NZ..or even go to OZ. It gives them the option. Who knows what England will be like in another 20/30/40 years?
Old Jul 30th 2010, 1:23 pm
Lost in Space

I am married to an American, yes. He wants to go now! lol He doesn't have a lot going on here either. He's not as close to his family as I am with mine. In recent months I've found myself reflecting on my time here and have really felt almost like i've wasted a bit of my life, so the thought of waiting another two years just seems like even more of a waste. Kind of like my life is on hold. I feel like i've missed so much time and many special occassions with family. I don't want to miss anymore.

Last Christmas, a friend of mine here who is an expat of another country lost her mother in a car accident. My heart broke for her! I worry about my family getting older and the possibility of accidents and illness and not being there. I want to make the most of whatever time we have together in life because you never know what's around the corner. A little morbid, I know! But it's things like this that make me wonder is waiting for citizenship really worth it?
I lost my Dad two years ago and a family friend of over 40 years died only a couple of weeks ago which has had a huge impact on my Mum. It's so, so painful and to not be there makes me feel useless. I guess I'm at an age when my elderly relatives are starting to pass away and my friends too. I want to be there for them. The more time that goes by, the greater the distance......

Will you have the baby there? If so, he/she will get citizenship right? Hope your head isn't spinning too much with such difficult decisions. Our decision is made and I'm still waking in the night having panic attacks!
Old Jul 30th 2010, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

I lost my Dad two years ago and a family friend of over 40 years died only a couple of weeks ago which has had a huge impact on my Mum. It's so, so painful and to not be there makes me feel useless. I guess I'm at an age when my elderly relatives are starting to pass away and my friends too. I want to be there for them. The more time that goes by, the greater the distance......

Will you have the baby there? If so, he/she will get citizenship right? Hope your head isn't spinning too much with such difficult decisions. Our decision is made and I'm still waking in the night having panic attacks!
I'm sorry to hear about your dad and friend. I'm glad that you are definitely getting to go home now and be with your mum and other friends and family. I know what you mean about the more time the greater the distance.

It is most likely that I will have the baby here in the US, and then leave sometime after that. From what I have read, any children I have with my husband should be dual citizens whether they are born in the US or UK because one parent is British and the other is American. This is actually one of the reason that I do want citizenship for myself. Obviously, we would plan to make trips to the US together and I don't like the idea that DH and kids will all have citizenship and I won't. It means I'll have the restrictions of a non-immigrant and they won't. What if my kids want to go study, work or live in the US at some point? I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking it and it's not that big of a deal.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 1:48 pm
Lost in Space

I'm sorry to hear about your dad and friend. I'm glad that you are definitely getting to go home now and be with your mum and other friends and family. I know what you mean about the more time the greater the distance.

It is most likely that I will have the baby here in the US, and then leave sometime after that. From what I have read, any children I have with my husband should be dual citizens whether they are born in the US or UK because one parent is British and the other is American. This is actually one of the reason that I do want citizenship for myself. Obviously, we would plan to make trips to the US together and I don't like the idea that DH and kids will all have citizenship and I won't. It means I'll have the restrictions of a non-immigrant and they won't. What if my kids want to go study, work or live in the US at some point? I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking it and it's not that big of a deal.
No, you're not over thinking at all. You're being a great mum already!!!! Would you be able to apply again if you chose to return?

Although I wanted to go home I knew I wanted my baby here as it was still home. I didn't want the stress of going back AND birth so a wise choice for you to stay where you are I think. Once you have your baby you will be so busy........can family come out for an extended stay? My mum came for 8 weeks and it was amazing.

What does your o/h think you should do?
Old Jul 30th 2010, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

No, you're not over thinking at all. You're being a great mum already!!!! Would you be able to apply again if you chose to return?

Although I wanted to go home I knew I wanted my baby here as it was still home. I didn't want the stress of going back AND birth so a wise choice for you to stay where you are I think. Once you have your baby you will be so busy........can family come out for an extended stay? My mum came for 8 weeks and it was amazing.

What does your o/h think you should do?
Thanks, lilybilly! Unfortuantely, I know my parents will only be able to come for about two weeks when I have the baby because of getting time off work. This is another stab in the heart, in a way, because I always imagined my family being around during those weeks of becoming a first time mum, and to be honest, I don't have close friends or family here to support me, so I'm a little scared.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kentish Lass
Yes ...made one big mistake, incase I make another I don't want to 'burn my boats'. Another reason is I know the UK is home for me but when my kids grow up they may want to come back to NZ..or even go to OZ. It gives them the option. Who knows what England will be like in another 20/30/40 years?
Hi Kentish Lass! Did you move back to UK without getting citizenship and then back to NZ again? If so, what did you do to go back to NZ as far as immigration procedures? I know if we went back to live in US, it would be possible without citizenship, but it would mean starting the whole process over again.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

No, the mistake I made was leaving the UK in the first place.I have only been back once for a visit 3 years ago for a month BUT I'm taking my 14year old daughter back for a trip in October. I'm hoping that she's going to love it there. I've wanted to go home since I arrived here but OH said I should give it at least 3years and not 3 days to decide. In that time he and my 2 kids have settled in here. My kids were 7 and 9 when we came and 7 years later can't really imagine living anywhere else but NZ. We came on a 3year business scheme and if we went back without citizenship there is no way that any of us would get back.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 2:36 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

I'm married to a Canadian but each time I've lived in Canada I've left before getting my citizenship. The first time, back in the 80's and I was borderline in the residency regulations. I think I was out by a few months and we'd already decided to come home. This last time we were in Canada for almost 4 years and I knew I could not wait the required length of time to get the application processed.........I think it was around 18 months and I didn't want to hang around Canada waiting for something I know I am not, definitely NOT, going to need. I certainly have no regrets, but would suggest that if you qualify and have the time, then get it as it could make life easier in the future.

With regard to retaining permanent residency, yes you will as long as you stay married to your Canadian, but you would (should you want to return) have to apply for a permit, fill in the forms and count the number of days you have been away from Canada. You also have to prove that you are married and still living with your Canadian spouse, which is actually quite a difficult thing to do. I sent joint bank statements and utility bills which were accepted. The permit is stamped into your passport and is valid for only 6 months so you have to time your return, which can be tricky given the logistics of such a massive move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.