Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone return home without citizenship?

Anyone return home without citizenship?

Old Jul 31st 2010, 10:59 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone return home without citizenship?

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
Thanks, lilybilly! Unfortuantely, I know my parents will only be able to come for about two weeks when I have the baby because of getting time off work. This is another stab in the heart, in a way, because I always imagined my family being around during those weeks of becoming a first time mum, and to be honest, I don't have close friends or family here to support me, so I'm a little scared.
2 weeks will fly by and your Mum will find it so hard to leave but just try to enjoy it. She'll be a great support I'm sure and so nice to have someone around to be a third pair of arms. My mum didn't come for our first baby and I coped. I was friends with some neighbours and it was fine. i walked a great deal and started a baby group which was fab.

Don't worry about a thing. Some how, some way it all just falls into place.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

We are going back without.....we have had 5 years to get it in all and never have so I think that says something to me...

LibbyX
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

I ended up getting my Canadian Citizenship 10 days before I jumped ship. I only applied once I knew we were leaving (even though I'd be eligible for a few years) with the attitude if I get in great if not no big deal. Once we'd decided to leave I didn't want to hang around any longer than necessary, life's too short
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
I ended up getting my Canadian Citizenship 10 days before I jumped ship. I only applied once I knew we were leaving (even though I'd be eligible for a few years) with the attitude if I get in great if not no big deal. Once we'd decided to leave I didn't want to hang around any longer than necessary, life's too short
Yeah, I guess that keeps playing on my mind. Life is too short, and I keep thinking if this is what I want now then I should do it before even more time goes by, you know?
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

have plans to get back to UK eventually so have applied for my citizenship, my family is probably not coming with me. So i need the option to come back if I need to, have been a GC holder for 9 years. Hubby and 3 teenagers are now US citizens, I always said No I am a brit! But circumstances change......still a brit first.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 10:47 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
have plans to get back to UK eventually so have applied for my citizenship, my family is probably not coming with me. So i need the option to come back if I need to, have been a GC holder for 9 years. Hubby and 3 teenagers are now US citizens, I always said No I am a brit! But circumstances change......still a brit first.
That was/is my attitude too, I have my USC because my kids and Dh have theres we are all dual, so wherever we end up we are set and don't need visas.
My older Ds moved back already, he was born here, and only lived there a short while as a little boy, but apparently he's always wanted to go home. Who knew, he never said anything until the last 12 months and I didn't quite believe him till he graduated Uni this spring.
Ds 2 wants to go too he graduates high school in 2012 so Dh and Dd and I will hopefully be right behind him I want us all to go at the same time, but we'll see. I want to go now!!
Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I guess that keeps playing on my mind. Life is too short, and I keep thinking if this is what I want now then I should do it before even more time goes by, you know?
I know how you feel sometimes the practical or sensible thing gets in the way, in my case it was selling our house if we'd been renting a place I'd have left Canada a lot quicker and definitely without citizenship
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:04 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just curious if anyone here returned home without getting their citizenship in the country they were leaving. I have been holding out to get mine, but circumstances make me want to leave before that now and that is what we have been planning. There is still a part of me that wants that citizenship, but I also just want to go home now.

Anyone left without their citizenship, and do you regret it?
Yes, and Hell, Yes.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 2:44 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Yes, and Hell, Yes.
I do too.

Not as much as you do, but having spent 4 years in Oz, I bloody well should have got something out of it.

Oh well.