Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone from Northern Ireland every returned or considered it?

Wikiposts

Anyone from Northern Ireland every returned or considered it?

Old Oct 17th 2008, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

la-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone from Northern Ireland every returned or considered it?

Originally Posted by Honest_H
Fantastic!! might have to have fry up on Sunday morning now!!

Good alternative to try - Scrambled egg and bacon in a Pitta, lashings of Brown sauce. Will be bringing that one back to try on friends in NI
lynne, and honestH, now not only am I homesick I am craving some decent FOOD!!!!
I had no idea potato bread was that easy to make, I am going to make it!! lets see how it turns out

thanks both for your kind words, it is such a comfort to know that other people get really homesick too, I would love to be going back in 8 months, we dont have a time planned exactly yet, but I hope when we do, it will be easier knowing there is an end in sight.

I point blank refuse to buy anything more here, because I know it is a waste of money, as I wont be shipping anything back, also it helps me with the i'm not here for much longer attitude lol.

Well thanks again and any more recipes send them my way
Old Oct 17th 2008, 10:19 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Hi sorry lads there is a whole lotta grass is greener going on here that I would like to throw a few cents into.

First of the RA are gone but there are a good few pretenders popping up , unemployment and politics dont mix.

Second NI is well placed in the whole financial storm because , we mostly all work for the state. If you are a nurse or health care worker come on back there jobs a plenty.

Thirdly If your looking for trade work dont bother returning , building eletrical work is becoming very scarce.

House prices are falling , you can pick up a nice place for a family again for a good price if you have savings.

There is no mass poverty , thanks to the English they pay all our bills. DLA & benefits for everyone Yay.

If you have a kids with special needs , the UK is probably your best bet I doubt many other countries could match it.

As for Catholics vs Protestant thing well that's NI isnt it , that will die out in time. But it still a factor I mean when buying a house and choosing a school area etc.

However NI has some fantastic communitys, as there is nothing like a healthy dislike of another community to bond you.

The NI assembly has not sat in months so dont expect them to manage anything.

NI can be a great place to live but it is far from perfect.

Pitta and scrambled/bacon .... thats worth a try!!!
Old Oct 17th 2008, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia

Totally agree nowhere is perfect (if that's what you're looking for you'll be disappointed no matter where you decide to live) but I can put up with NI's imperfections as long as I have friends and family around.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

la-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Totally agree nowhere is perfect (if that's what you're looking for you'll be disappointed no matter where you decide to live) but I can put up with NI's imperfections as long as I have friends and family around.
yes me too !!
Old Oct 19th 2008, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Absolutely!
Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:29 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia
Hi sorry lads there is a whole lotta grass is greener going on here that I would like to throw a few cents into.

First of the RA are gone but there are a good few pretenders popping up , unemployment and politics dont mix.

Second NI is well placed in the whole financial storm because , we mostly all work for the state. If you are a nurse or health care worker come on back there jobs a plenty.

Thirdly If your looking for trade work dont bother returning , building eletrical work is becoming very scarce.

House prices are falling , you can pick up a nice place for a family again for a good price if you have savings.

There is no mass poverty , thanks to the English they pay all our bills. DLA & benefits for everyone Yay.

If you have a kids with special needs , the UK is probably your best bet I doubt many other countries could match it.

As for Catholics vs Protestant thing well that's NI isnt it , that will die out in time. But it still a factor I mean when buying a house and choosing a school area etc.

However NI has some fantastic communitys, as there is nothing like a healthy dislike of another community to bond you.

The NI assembly has not sat in months so dont expect them to manage anything.

Pitta and scrambled/bacon .... thats worth a try!!!

Im thinking of doing my shopping Newry in future!

Just like the 70's when loads would pop over the border for a car or a telly.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Im thinking of doing my shopping Newry in future!

Just like the 70's when loads would pop over the border for a car or a telly.
Loads of people are jumping over the border at the moment. My sis says Tesco in Banbridge may as well be in the south! There's more from the Republic in than locals!! lol
Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

I live in Banbridge and can vouch for that. There are a lot of southern shoppers at the moment, I reckson it's down to the euro, the outlet is full of them. It can only be a good thing for the town.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crocodileseamus
I live in Banbridge and can vouch for that. There are a lot of southern shoppers at the moment, I reckson it's down to the euro, the outlet is full of them. It can only be a good thing for the town.
Wow! Small world I was brought up in Banbridge, lived there most of my life and going back next June. Can't wait.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Honest_H
Wow! Small world I was brought up in Banbridge, lived there most of my life and going back next June. Can't wait.
You'll be impressed with how well the town has changed. The Outlet is amazing, there are brilliant bargains to be had, but you have to look for them. I think this recession isn't helping some small businesses in the town, but shops in general are quite good. It used to be if you were looking an outfit to go out on a Saturday night, you would have had to have gone to Lisburn, Newry or Portadown, but thank god things have changed.

I think the schools etc are excellent here too
Old Oct 20th 2008, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

You'll be impressed with how well the town has changed. The Outlet is amazing, there are brilliant bargains to be had, but you have to look for them. I think this recession isn't helping some small businesses in the town, but shops in general are quite good. It used to be if you were looking an outfit to go out on a Saturday night, you would have had to have gone to Lisburn, Newry or Portadown, but thank god things have changed.

I think the schools etc are excellent here too

I really am looking forward to it. We've been back a few times since and yes, I agree that "the town" is much improved, although it could be even better if the town traders let other big names in.

The leisure centre is great, the new cinema is brillant, the outlet is fab, all great improvements.

We've enrolled by daughter in the Abercorn. We went for a visit the last time we were there, and I was very impressed. I'm sure all the other schools are good too, but we needed to choose something central as we have no idea where we'll live. That said, no where is very far in Banbridge.

Looking forward to a dander up the street.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Our kids go to Edenderry, which is handy as we live in Lenaderg, although Miltown primary is on our doorstep, but I don't agree with mixed classrooms, ie P1 - P3 being taught by the same teacher.

We needed to go to Edenderry anyway because they have a learning support centre, which my eldest attends.

It is a small world!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Our kids go to Edenderry, which is handy as we live in Lenaderg, although Miltown primary is on our doorstep, but I don't agree with mixed classrooms, ie P1 - P3 being taught by the same teacher.

We needed to go to Edenderry anyway because they have a learning support centre, which my eldest attends.

It is a small world!
I went to a small school like Miltown which had mixed classes, it was fine then, but like you I don't agree that it should happen now.

I hear the learning support there is great. A friends wee boy goes and he's come on leaps and bounds.

As you say, its a big consideration if your thinking about moving. Would you get that level of help anywhere else?
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

We considered Oz, but there are no learning support centres there, so it would just be mainstream school, with a classroom assistant at the very best.

Lucy is very bright, but it is her social skills that she falls down on. I reckon she would be bully fodder in mainstream. Her education was our main reason for not emigrating. She is progressing so well we didn't want to risk her future, however, we still have pangs of wanting to go, especially my husband.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

We considered Oz, but there are no learning support centres there, so it would just be mainstream school, with a classroom assistant at the very best.

Lucy is very bright, but it is her social skills that she falls down on. I reckon she would be bully fodder in mainstream. Her education was our main reason for not emigrating. She is progressing so well we didn't want to risk her future, however, we still have pangs of wanting to go, especially my husband.
Its a very difficult decision to make. You must do what is right for all of you. Good luck.

I'm so glad that we're going back. Tonight, we're starting to sort out the attic, pack a few boxes etc Its starting to feel real now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.