Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone from Northern Ireland every returned or considered it?

Wikiposts

Anyone from Northern Ireland every returned or considered it?

Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone from Northern Ireland every returned or considered it?

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Well yes the view is lovely from my concrete bomb shelter and I only had to run from a few petrol bombs this morning

Seriously I can see why people who have never lived here and only heard about NI from News reports might think it's a bit of a hell hole but that was never my experience.
Oh thank G. I thought something awful had happened in the last 3 years that I didn't know about.

Your right though, the news hasn't been kind to NI over the years. Its a shame they don't report on the good stuff. Its just a shame that the small minority ruins it for us all
Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Honest_H
Oh thank G. I thought something awful had happened in the last 3 years that I didn't know about.

Your right though, the news hasn't been kind to NI over the years. Its a shame they don't report on the good stuff. Its just a shame that the small minority ruins it for us all
It funny to hear people's odd ideas about NI. I used to work in a Irish bar in Toronto with a girl from Dublin and I remember one customer being amazed that we actually talked to each other Then I had some daft american woman telling me that her brother was a great supported of "the cause" and how he always gave money to the IRA

Last edited by Elaine B.; Oct 12th 2008 at 11:46 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

It funny to hear people's odd ideas about NI. I used to work in a Irish bar in Toronto with a girl from Dublin and I remember one customer being amazed that we actually talked to each other Then I had some daft american woman telling me that her brother was a great supported of "the cause" and how he always gave money to the IRA
Bloody hell!!

When my husband moved over to NI, his Dad wanted to know what currency we used, what our passports were like and if we were issued bullet proof vests once off the plane. Oh and also, what happens when you want to change your car tyre at the side of the road? You know with all the barbed wire!!
Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Honest_H
OMG - I don't think you've realised the can of worms you've just open!!!

How on earth do you know what its like to live there??:curse:

What are you basing your statement on??
I admit I've never been, but isn't Northern Ireland the home of the IRA, mass poverty, bombings, stabbings, high unemployment and that whole Catholic v. Protestant war?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backagen
I admit I've never been, but isn't Northern Ireland the home of the IRA, mass poverty, bombings, stabbings, high unemployment and that whole Catholic v. Protestant war?
Yeah that sounds pretty accurate

I'll let someone else answer that one as I have to make a quick escape.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Not forgetting Elaine also that NI is local for local people
Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Patrick2007
Not forgetting Elaine also that NI is local for local people
Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm not local so I'd better get away quick before anyone realises!
Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by backagen
The home of the IRA - there are far more radical organisations in the UK. Yes the IRA are here, but its not the 1970's anymore.

Mass poverty, high unemployment - what on earth have you based that on? found this on the internet...

"Positive trends over time include the fall over the last decade in the proportion of people without paid work and the growth in job numbers, both bigger than anywhere in Great Britain"

Bombings - Ok, yes, but not anymore. Again its not the 1970's.

Stabbings, ??...eh....London? How many stabbings?

The "war" - is a minority of people making it hard for everyone else backagen. Most people in NI don't have issues.

You should really visit, what's the old NI tourist board advert.... ah yes.... "You'll never know, unless you go"
Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry guys - just don't like people forming opinions unless they have actual experience of it.

Really, its a great place. Shame that no one else knows it. Or maybe not....keep it for ourselves.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

Donna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud of

Hi Crocodileseamus
I guess the differences between South Africa and Northern Ireland are huge and my memories of Northern Ireland were from a 12 year olds perspective not taking into account 3 days spent in N. Ireland when I was 21. However the responses I received from friends and family when they found out I was moving back were all about how N.Ireland has changed for the better since we'd left in 1982, gave me confidence that it was the right move.
One major drawback is the weather of course which OH is finding rather cold. I could easy go on and on about the whole crime/safety issues of South Africa but I'd rather not get into that. Overall I suppose it's just as they say "home is home" and I've come back to my roots. Once Irish always Irish. Who knows, maybe in 26 years time my son will feel the same way about South Africa and maybe by then they will have sorted themselves out, or maybe not, who knows.
Donna
Old Oct 13th 2008, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

Is anyone going to tell us why they moved or are moving back? What is it about Northern Ireland you miss, or is it just home?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by crocodileseamus
Is anyone going to tell us why they moved or are moving back? What is it about Northern Ireland you miss, or is it just home?
They are a few other reasons beside family for why we moved back. People here I find are more genuine, when they say I'll give you a call they actually mean it. Also from a work point of view my OH works in the music industry and has years of experience with british bands (oddly enough he's Canadian) but he found it almost impossible to find work in Toronto. I also miss the history and the countryside and of course the sense of humour.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Donna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud of

I think every country has it's problems but better the devil you know than the devil you don't. I love the Irish people. They are so friendly and open and make you feel most welcome. I love being able to climb in the car and take a short or long drive and visit all the national sites, N. Ireland has so much history. There's just so much to see and do. You can go to the beach, go walking in a forest, go for a boat trip on the lough. You've got the Guinness and the whisky. What is it that you actually want to know about N. Ireland???
Old Oct 13th 2008, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Donna Allan
I think every country has it's problems but better the devil you know than the devil you don't. I love the Irish people. They are so friendly and open and make you feel most welcome. I love being able to climb in the car and take a short or long drive and visit all the national sites, N. Ireland has so much history. There's just so much to see and do. You can go to the beach, go walking in a forest, go for a boat trip on the lough. You've got the Guinness and the whisky. What is it that you actually want to know about N. Ireland???
Hi Donna,

I live in Northern Ireland and haven't actually emmigrated, however, my husband is really keen to go to Oz. I have said yes so many times and when the crunch came I couldn't go. I do think it isn't fair on my husband, but I have 4 kids, one with special needs and education is a major factor for me.

I just wondered for those who have returned, what they missed most about home.

Lynne

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.