Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone from Northern Ireland every returned or considered it?

Anyone from Northern Ireland every returned or considered it?

Old Oct 12th 2008, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of
Default Anyone from Northern Ireland every returned or considered it?

Was just wondering if any Northern Irish folk ever returned from Australia, or ever considered returning. What do you miss most about home apart from relatives?
Old Oct 12th 2008, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone from Northern Ireland every returned or considered it?

Originally Posted by crocodileseamus
Was just wondering if any Northern Irish folk ever returned from Australia, or ever considered returning. What do you miss most about home apart from relatives?
Not from Australia but from Canada. After almost 9 years in Toronto I've just moved back to Co. Antrim. This moving countries thing isn't all it's cracked up to be
Old Oct 13th 2008, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

la-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nicela-chica-irlandesa is just really nice

hey Elaine, what have been the negatives for you so far???
i would love to know as i am still planning on moving back next year.
Are you thinking of moving back Seamus???
Old Oct 13th 2008, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by la-chica-irlandesa
hey Elaine, what have been the negatives for you so far???
i would love to know as i am still planning on moving back next year.

I actually just meant that it's really only by moving away that you really appreciate a place. Nowhere is perfect but the grass is green enough in Ireland for me
Old Oct 13th 2008, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by la-chica-irlandesa
Never actually left home, but still waver should we stay or go. Husband is 43 now so would need to be definite soon. When it got down to it I thought location was the big thing, Oz being far from everywhere and the education system.

My husband would go in a heartbeat and I feel bad for him, but it has to be a joint decision. I think BE helped me in deciding not to go, because people returning home seemed to experience what I feared, isolation, homesickness, never feeling you fit in and desperately missing friends and family. Most people on here give a honest account of everything, there are many highs and lows, but I reckon it just isn't for me, at the moment.

I do have an uncle returning from Brisbane next year after being away from home 35 years. I think as he is in his 60's now and never married, he realises it is nice to have family around and those package holidays to spain in winter for pensioners seem to hold some sort of appeal. Good Luck
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Donna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud ofDonna Allan has much to be proud of

Hey Crocodileseamus
I'm originally from Co. Down, Northern Ireland. Moved to South Africa when I was 12 with my folks. Lived there for 26 years and came back to N. Ireland in April this year with my husband and child. I always had good memories of growing up in N.Ireland and have often wondered where I would be now if we hadn't of left. I will never forget my time in South Africa either but am so happy being back home that I have settled in well and it feels like I've been here forever and not just 6 months. Obviously it's different for my South African husband as he left all his family behind (my mom's still in SA) but he's working and happy enough with the job and the people he works with. I sometimes feel cheated of growing up with family around as it was always just my mom, my sister (who's been living in NZ for the past 14 years) and me (my dad passed away after a year of being in SA). My son has adapted well, but then kids normally do. It is a BIG step to take but I told myself that I didn't want to be on my death bed going "shoulda, woulda, coulda."
Donna
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Donna Allan
Hey Crocodileseamus
I'm originally from Co. Down, Northern Ireland. Moved to South Africa when I was 12 with my folks. Lived there for 26 years and came back to N. Ireland in April this year with my husband and child. I always had good memories of growing up in N.Ireland and have often wondered where I would be now if we hadn't of left. I will never forget my time in South Africa either but am so happy being back home that I have settled in well and it feels like I've been here forever and not just 6 months. Obviously it's different for my South African husband as he left all his family behind (my mom's still in SA) but he's working and happy enough with the job and the people he works with. I sometimes feel cheated of growing up with family around as it was always just my mom, my sister (who's been living in NZ for the past 14 years) and me (my dad passed away after a year of being in SA). My son has adapted well, but then kids normally do. It is a BIG step to take but I told myself that I didn't want to be on my death bed going "shoulda, woulda, coulda."
Donna

Hi Donna,

Wondered what it was about Northern Ireland you missed, compared with South Africa.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

Moving back to NI from Cyprus next year. Can't wait.

Its such a backward country, I'm really looking forward to normality.

I can't say its missing family as my Mum and Dad moved out as well, but I do miss my sister very much.

Luckily, my first daughter (born in NI) is really looking forward to it to. There's so much that she hasn't experienced yet. She only learnt how to ride her bike recently, there's just no where safe to teach her. We had to put her bike in the car and drive 2 miles to an empty car park. She hasn't had a hockey stick in her hand yet - that's a sin if your from Banbridge!! lol. Swimming club, tennis, gymnastics, Girls Bridage/Guides/Scouts, Youth clubs, cinema, proper shops, forest parks, beach walks on windy days, camping.... I could go on forever.

My second daughter (born in cyprus) is too young too understand, but knows that she'll see her Aunt a lot more.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:58 am
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
I actually just meant that it's really only by moving away that you really appreciate a place. Nowhere is perfect but the grass is green enough in Ireland for me
Well said! :-) The grass is green enough in the UK for me. A little greener in N. Ireland than London - but maybe we will sort that out in a few years. ;-)
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gotoronto
Well said! :-) The grass is green enough in the UK for me. A little greener in N. Ireland than London - but maybe we will sort that out in a few years. ;-)
I'll have any of the 40 shades, as long as it's green. I thought, like the many that move away, that it would be greener, but as Elaine says, you can't appreciate something until your on the outside looking in. It turns out that its pretty brown and scorced here, metaphorically and literally.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

I can imagine why people in Northern island would want to emigrate! From what I've heard it's not the sort of place I'd want to live.

However, the fact that some people from there who emigrated are thinking of returning just goes to show, HOME IS HOME and that's important, regardless of how nice the place may or may not be!
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by backagen
I can imagine why people in Northern island would want to emigrate! From what I've heard it's not the sort of place I'd want to live.

However, the fact that some people from there who emigrated are thinking of returning just goes to show, HOME IS HOME and that's important, regardless of how nice the place may or may not be!
You should come for a visit you might be surprised it's improved a lot over the last 10 years.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by backagen

OMG - I don't think you've realised the can of worms you've just open!!!

How on earth do you know what its like to live there??:curse:

What are you basing your statement on??

Have a look at this website and tell me what's not nice about it? There's plenty of examples, just click on the column on the right.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/7654528.stm

I lived in NI all my life until a few years ago. My husband is English. When we discussed going back to the UK, he said we'd have to go back to NI cos there was no way he would live or bring up our daughters in England.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
You should come for a visit you might be surprised it's improved a lot over the last 10 years.
Oh Elaine, you wouldn't believe how mad I am!!! Steam coming from my ears

Please tell me that my lovely NI is still lovely!!!!
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Honest_H
Oh Elaine, you wouldn't believe how mad I am!!! Steam coming from my ears

Please tell me that my lovely NI is still lovely!!!!
Well yes the view is lovely from my concrete bomb shelter and I only had to run from a few petrol bombs this morning

Seriously I can see why people who have never lived here and only heard about NI from News reports might think it's a bit of a hell hole but that was never my experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.