Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone moving back knowing its going to financially tougher?

Anyone moving back knowing its going to financially tougher?

Old May 8th 2010, 3:11 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone moving back knowing its going to financially tougher?

Originally Posted by bobbarker12345
my mum came back at 53 years old and has not been able to get a job of any sort despite her large amount of UK work experience.
Do you mind my asking what field of work your mum is in?

I'm a USC, 55 years old, and moving to the UK (SW London) this summer with my UK husband.

I've been a Legal Secretary in the US for many years and worked for a UK solicitor for a very, very, very, very short period of time back in 2004.

Your remark has me worried.

Thanks,

Denise
Old May 8th 2010, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

bobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the rough

im in essex, about an hour from london. my mum worked as a company secretary and book-keeper while she was in the US, and has retrained since she has been here to get more up-to-date qualifications. i wouldnt worry too much, but as i said before, life in england isnt easy right now.
Old May 9th 2010, 4:05 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
I find my current situation frustrating.

Essentially I want to be living back in the UK - Now!

I am continually putting off going back to UK as I know that;

a) If I do get a job, it will be at best about 60% of my current earnings in UAE
b) As I am currently in my early 50's, there is a high chance I may not get a job and end up living off my savings.

My current job is very reqarding in all ways, but is physically and mentally bloody hard work by anybody's standards.

My current resignation period is about 6 months before I would leave, making it difficult to get a job before resigning here.

If I knew I could get a job, even if it were only sufficient to live a basic lifestyle I would.

I need to stay around another 3 years here (taking me to 56) in order to ensure I would be financially secure enough to weather out any storm (ie unemployment).

Going round in circles
I've been nearly there too and it is exasperating and I resolved the salary issue by accepting a lower one - in fact I was lucky to get a job and the market rates had dropped enormously so the comparison with my (highly overrated) Kuwait salary was even bigger. Also I don't spend as much.

You can of course manage the notice period - it is contractual you can talk it out.

If you have foreign currency then waiting will reduce its value as sterling willgo up in the end!

I have theories about how much I will need to weather the next storm and I've now abandoned them because it is not a basis for making decisions.

Good luck!
Old May 9th 2010, 3:30 pm
Wub
Forum Regular

Wub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
I find my current situation frustrating.

Essentially I want to be living back in the UK - Now!

I am continually putting off going back to UK as I know that;

a) If I do get a job, it will be at best about 60% of my current earnings in UAE
b) As I am currently in my early 50's, there is a high chance I may not get a job and end up living off my savings.

My current job is very reqarding in all ways, but is physically and mentally bloody hard work by anybody's standards.

My current resignation period is about 6 months before I would leave, making it difficult to get a job before resigning here.

If I knew I could get a job, even if it were only sufficient to live a basic lifestyle I would.

I need to stay around another 3 years here (taking me to 56) in order to ensure I would be financially secure enough to weather out any storm (ie unemployment).

Going round in circles
Victor, we're in a similar position to you and a few months ago I would've jumped on a plane out of here, back to blighty without a second glance as I was just sooo fed up of....just about everything really. I'm in education and its damn hard work with very little respite given all the additional duties required which eat into leisure time, weekends, etc. etc.

After a mini meltdown I took stock, looked at the finances and decided that we couldn't afford to just go home - much as I want to. In another four or five years we can and will be comfortable money - wise but to cut and run right now would leave us very few options and work back home - even in education - isn't as easy to find once you've hit the big 50.

So, post mini-meltdown, we've decided to 'hang on in there', for now. Its the summer holidays in a month or so and we'll be home for several weeks and I can't wait. The getting on a plane bit to return though......well, have to face that one I know.

I sometimes feel as if I'm mortgaging the present for a future yet to be realised...if that makes any sense...but there's very little option while the economy back home is struggling and you're in employment with the little bit of security that overseas contracts offer.

My advice? Hang on in there for now if you can. Its tough back home just now, very tough indeed according to family and friends.
Old May 9th 2010, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Very good advice.

Things in the UK are no so good apparently. My biggest draw is my Dad on his own now at 78 after losing my Mum 2 years ago. I have no brothers or sisters and so I feel very bad that he is by himself.

He will not come visit me or contemplate us sponsoring him....

I would go "home" in a heartbeat if I could win the lottery!! LOL

Originally Posted by Wub
Victor, we're in a similar position to you and a few months ago I would've jumped on a plane out of here, back to blighty without a second glance as I was just sooo fed up of....just about everything really. I'm in education and its damn hard work with very little respite given all the additional duties required which eat into leisure time, weekends, etc. etc.

After a mini meltdown I took stock, looked at the finances and decided that we couldn't afford to just go home - much as I want to. In another four or five years we can and will be comfortable money - wise but to cut and run right now would leave us very few options and work back home - even in education - isn't as easy to find once you've hit the big 50.

So, post mini-meltdown, we've decided to 'hang on in there', for now. Its the summer holidays in a month or so and we'll be home for several weeks and I can't wait. The getting on a plane bit to return though......well, have to face that one I know.

I sometimes feel as if I'm mortgaging the present for a future yet to be realised...if that makes any sense...but there's very little option while the economy back home is struggling and you're in employment with the little bit of security that overseas contracts offer.

My advice? Hang on in there for now if you can. Its tough back home just now, very tough indeed according to family and friends.
Old May 10th 2010, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wub

so I guess I should go back before I hit 50?

tough even in fields where they generally have jobs and tough if you're flexible about where you go back to?
Old May 10th 2010, 12:28 pm
Wub
Forum Regular

Wub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Esme
tough even in fields where they generally have jobs and tough if you're flexible about where you go back to?
Its an individual thing Esme - what will work for us may not work for others. Of course there are opportunities wherever you are in the world (particularly if you're flexible) and the UK is no different.

If you can go home and make a good life for yourself right now, then the best of luck to you. We can't just yet....but one day.......
Old May 10th 2010, 12:35 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
I have theories about how much I will need to weather the next storm and I've now abandoned them because it is not a basis for making decisions.

I agree. It's kind of like the "We'll have a baby once we have enough money."

One can miss a lot of life while waiting for "enough"
Old May 10th 2010, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Thank you for all the responses. Bottom line in the past week with under 4 weeks to the move and one way tickets booked.... Hubby offered a job and with three young mouths to feed we are here for the foreseeable future........ such mixed feelings. I can't bring myself to let my friends know back home. I am gutted.........
Old May 10th 2010, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Thank you for all the responses. Bottom line in the past week with under 4 weeks to the move and one way tickets booked.... Hubby offered a job and with three young mouths to feed we are here for the foreseeable future........ such mixed feelings. I can't bring myself to let my friends know back home. I am gutted.........
what? did I mss something|?