Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone moving back knowing its going to financially tougher?

Anyone moving back knowing its going to financially tougher?

Old Apr 27th 2010, 8:22 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone moving back knowing its going to financially tougher?

Originally Posted by spainboy
Ive been in Spain for 13 years and id say for 8 of them ive had a fantastic time. Ive been in the same job for 10 years and i actually earn decent money even by uk standards. i was 24 when i left the uk and now im 37. Ive seen some good people and good friends come and go and in my line of work as a hotel entertainer ive also met and kept in contact via facebook with some fine brits. for the last 5 years I was living with my girlfriend here and unfortunately we split just before xmas and has moved back since. A lot of my good friends are back and settled and I would say im one of the last ones here. In the last 3 years ive missed my mum and dad and family in general and everytime i go back to visit which is about 3 times a year i find myself more and more wanting to stay. They are getting older now and to me time is valuble.
I plan to go back in 6 weeks. The decision in some respects is going to be hard simply because of my job here and going back home to look for a job but in other respects im really unhappy here, more so that i split from my relationship here and all my good pals are back home but whats the point of being unhappy.
I dont think i could earn the money in the uk im currently earning but is it all about that? If im not happy then surely the decision may not be as hard as im making it out to be.
You're right, if you aren't happy why stay, if it's for the job cause you earn a bit more there you'll be saving on tripe three times a year to UK surely.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Cherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really niceCherry B is just really nice

Spainboy, the decision infact is a really difficult one. I am in the same boat, wanting to go home to the UK (8 years in Italy) and yet I still just can't bring myself to do it. I know and hear your doubts, worries, fears but if you made it in Spain, of course you can make it back home!
I have every sympathy for your situation, but reading your message, it really is clear what you want to do so go for it. If you hate it after a while, you are still free to go back to Spain. Noone will judge you.
If I was not in a relationship I would not be thinking twice about going back to the UK for the same reasons you mentioned.
Read through your own words again, I think you will find they will guide you!
all the best, from pizzaland.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
My UK husband and I (USC) are moving back in July, as well. We've been married almost 7 years and lived 5.5 of them here in the US. Not long after we get there, he will turn 52 and I will turn 56. He works in IT; I'm a Legal Secretary. Currently, we have no jobs lined up (although we're both online every day looking/applying) or accommodation (fortunately, can stay with his mum if we don't find anything before we get there). We've had a very comfortable life here in the US - have good jobs, each own nice cars, own our home (which we're selling). But we're giving it all up - we're not bringing anything with us: selling it all - to return to the UK.

We know it's going to be hard, we know the risk it involves - but we're tired of the oppressive US employment system (2 weeks holiday/year, etc.) and a few other things, as well.

To be honest, we're still not 100% sure if we're making the right decision, but when is life EVER 100% sure? We're jumping in with all fours and looking forward to the great adventure.

"Cold feet" is normal and, frankly, to be expected. You have your youth going for you. I wish the best for you. It's a very scary thing, I know.

If you are not sure you are making the right decision, would'nt you be better off renting your home out?

As someone who has been in the same position, biggest regret was that we sold everything!!
Old Apr 30th 2010, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

We are going back after many years of living in the Middle East and Canada, its exciting and I can hardly wait to book our flights! We plan to rent out our houses in Toronto knowing that this will be a necessary source of income in our old age. We are 50/54yrs and know it will be hard getting work at this age but are confident we can get reasonable jobs there, even with the current economy. Its all about figuring out what you want in life, making a plan and following your dream.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

uklass is on a distinguished road

Moving the other way knowing its going to be financially tougher, in uk now & planning a move to NT knowing that the price of renting a room is the same as paying a mortgage on a small flat here...thats what has kept me dithering & re-consideribing for the last year or so. Think its all about following your heart tho,you cut your cloth and all that!
Old May 5th 2010, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

tiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by DDL
My UK husband and I (USC) are moving back in July, as well. We've been married almost 7 years and lived 5.5 of them here in the US. Not long after we get there, he will turn 52 and I will turn 56. He works in IT; I'm a Legal Secretary. Currently, we have no jobs lined up (although we're both online every day looking/applying) or accommodation (fortunately, can stay with his mum if we don't find anything before we get there). We've had a very comfortable life here in the US - have good jobs, each own nice cars, own our home (which we're selling). But we're giving it all up - we're not bringing anything with us: selling it all - to return to the UK.

We know it's going to be hard, we know the risk it involves - but we're tired of the oppressive US employment system (2 weeks holiday/year, etc.) and a few other things, as well.

To be honest, we're still not 100% sure if we're making the right decision, but when is life EVER 100% sure? We're jumping in with all fours and looking forward to the great adventure.

"Cold feet" is normal and, frankly, to be expected. You have your youth going for you. I wish the best for you. It's a very scary thing, I know.
Same feeling exactly, I will be 60 jan 2011 with 5 kids , 15 yrs to 3 yrs I am single , I have lived in SC for 20 yrs, like you I have a 3000 sq ft lovely home , own nice cars, i am a retired nurse, but I too am giving it up to return to the city I was born in , York. I know it will be tough , but life is for living and I don't think I am living the life that i want to end my days doing. Why i do this I don't know , but i still smile and wave at my neighbours, they look at me like I am about to send them into a gas chamber!! I still keep smiling but under my breath I think kiss my A---s. I miss not being able to go for nice walks (gets too hot here). Have to work in the yard about 7am or late at night, but mainly it's the people , all this "I love your accent"!! but at the end of the day if you are not like them, then it's tough cheese., and God help you if the husband says "I love your accent", you will never get invited anywhere again. So 2011 or the latest 2013, (only because of my 15 yr old)I'm on that plane . I am already selling stuff and getting prepared. Good luck to all, may your dreams and wishes come true. tiamobrit1
Old May 5th 2010, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Hi ya,

Hubby, 3 kids and I have been living here for 3 years (Perth). I can easily see a path her for us with jobs. Will need a bit of work but there certainly are options.

We have flights booked for the UK and I know we are going to have to work hard in the UK to find jobs that won't pay that well and obviously raise 3 kids.

Today I just want to be in the UK. I think hubby is having cold feet and finances are his biggest concern. Part of me just thinks bugger it lets go back and make it work because I don't want to be here.

Is there something wrong with me for thinking this!!!!!! Anyone else been in this position?

Poppet
we moved back last August with 3 children...and we are still having trouble finding work...hubby had a great job in Canada but got laid off with maybe a call back in the later future, so WE decided to move back to my homeland, not his, ...I would make sure you have a place to stay in case you can't find work right away...Nothing worse than renting your house selling money away. good luck
Old May 5th 2010, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dewdrop
we moved back last August with 3 children...and we are still having trouble finding work...hubby had a great job in Canada but got laid off with maybe a call back in the later future, so WE decided to move back to my homeland, not his, ...I would make sure you have a place to stay in case you can't find work right away...Nothing worse than renting your house selling money away. good luck
what kind of work are you looking for and what area?
Old May 6th 2010, 1:46 am
Just Joined

jimmyandnaomi is a jewel in the roughjimmyandnaomi is a jewel in the roughjimmyandnaomi is a jewel in the roughjimmyandnaomi is a jewel in the roughjimmyandnaomi is a jewel in the rough

Hi ya,

Hubby, 3 kids and I have been living here for 3 years (Perth). I can easily see a path her for us with jobs. Will need a bit of work but there certainly are options.

We have flights booked for the UK and I know we are going to have to work hard in the UK to find jobs that won't pay that well and obviously raise 3 kids.

Today I just want to be in the UK. I think hubby is having cold feet and finances are his biggest concern. Part of me just thinks bugger it lets go back and make it work because I don't want to be here.

Is there something wrong with me for thinking this!!!!!! Anyone else been in this position?

Poppet
Hi Poppet. Nothing wrong with you at all as I share all of your above concerns and only emigrated here in Jan '10. I emigrated over from Scotland and ironically I hate Scotland and what it has to offer including crap weather, neds, drugs, knive culture, little career opportunities due to economic downturn as UK very much still in recession and many more. Despite all this I would swap back to Scotland in an instant if it were soley my decision.
However, despite this being a beautiful city and lets face it, the weather is grand, everyone has their reasons for wanting to live somewhere or move. I would personally move back to Scotland but my family love life here and have all settled better than me so soul destroying. Don't know your reasons but can only imagine the personal hell you are going through.

Things here are very difficult here. Despite living in a 4x2 which I am sure you and your family do too there are so many restrictions in place certainly on my 457 visa regards employment which is causing major problems. Are you in a similar position or does the money just not stretch as far as it did in the UK?
Are you isolated or have you met plenty of people here?

It's a pity you feel that way but I share your feelings. If you do go back to the UK bear in mind you will be better off in the sense you will again have Working Tax Credits, Family Tax Credits, NHS which is a biggie in my books. I had this misconception that life in Perth would be cheap, it is far from it!

I hope whatever you decide you and your family are happy and hope things work out quickly whether Oz or the UK. If you ever want another outlet or someone just to vent to my e-mail is [email protected]. I sometimes find venting to strangers to be helpful as sometimes family and friends can be very biased.

Take care, Jimmy
Old May 6th 2010, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shelley748
what kind of work are you looking for and what area?
Absolutley anything right now!..hubby has applied to farm help and even they turned him down.
He's a millwright by trade(Industrial machine repair)...worked 25 years at GM Canada.
all we see now is £5-£6 hr rate..
Old May 6th 2010, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dewdrop
Absolutley anything right now!..hubby has applied to farm help and even they turned him down.
He's a millwright by trade(Industrial machine repair)...worked 25 years at GM Canada.
all we see now is £5-£6 hr rate..
which area of the UK I mean?

Have you looked on Gumtree.co.uk its a huge free advertising place and they also have jobs on it.
Old May 7th 2010, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

chasandange has a brilliant futurechasandange has a brilliant futurechasandange has a brilliant futurechasandange has a brilliant futurechasandange has a brilliant futurechasandange has a brilliant futurechasandange has a brilliant future

just moved back to the uk in january after 5years in nz,just coming to grips with it all know got a job but only with an agency,but a job is a job glad to be back,the hardest thing that we found was when we went to the job center to claim our 50 pounds a week job seekers allowance we had to carry out a means tesst to prove that we are english hahaha what a joke and because we still have a house in nz,we are not entitled,so my advice is be very carefull good lu8ck but it is good to be back
Old May 7th 2010, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

bobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the rough

i moved back in 2006 after living away for 15 years. because i was raised in the USA, i have no a-levels, GCSE's, UK university degree, or british work experience (but i do have a US HS diploma and a US Bsc degree). if you dont have british qualifications/experience, its hard to get a look in for any real non-temp jobs even if you have your qualifications evaluated by naric. at the temp jobs i have held, they are mainly filled with UK graduates of universities who cant get any other positions. my mum came back at 53 years old and has not been able to get a job of any sort despite her large amount of UK work experience. when i moved back i had not visited in the UK for close to a decade and i had romanticized, idealistic visions of what it would be like. its been a massive shock to the system.

now that i have gone back to a british university for a postgrad qualification and found that im still not getting any type of non-agency job, i feel like im locked out of the labor market. life in england seems much harder than it was in the US, and much more stressful despite the free healthcare. the british seem to be generally more pessimistic than the americans. for me, i believe i dont think the UK offers anything for me anymore and i would very much like to leave, but these are very hard times economically. i would recommend people think really carefully before moving back.

Last edited by bobbarker12345; May 7th 2010 at 8:14 am.
Old May 7th 2010, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice

Hi ya,

Poppet
I love it Poppet! I have frequently thought about going home and, knowing I'd be financially worse off, decided against it. I now know it's not about the finances, it's about the heart and my heart is back there... I'm right behind ya!
Old May 7th 2010, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

What geographical area of the UK are you in?

Originally Posted by bobbarker12345
i moved back in 2006 after living away for 15 years. because i was raised in the USA, i have no a-levels, GCSE's, UK university degree, or british work experience (but i do have a US HS diploma and a US Bsc degree). if you dont have british qualifications/experience, its hard to get a look in for any real non-temp jobs even if you have your qualifications evaluated by naric. at the temp jobs i have held, they are mainly filled with UK graduates of universities who cant get any other positions. my mum came back at 53 years old and has not been able to get a job of any sort despite her large amount of UK work experience. when i moved back i had not visited in the UK for close to a decade and i had romanticized, idealistic visions of what it would be like. its been a massive shock to the system.

now that i have gone back to a british university for a postgrad qualification and found that im still not getting any type of non-agency job, i feel like im locked out of the labor market. life in england seems much harder than it was in the US, and much more stressful despite the free healthcare. the british seem to be generally more pessimistic than the americans. for me, i believe i dont think the UK offers anything for me anymore and i would very much like to leave, but these are very hard times economically. i would recommend people think really carefully before moving back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.