Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved back to the U.K. while pregnant?

Anyone moved back to the U.K. while pregnant?

Old Mar 20th 2010, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future
Default Anyone moved back to the U.K. while pregnant?

Hi - I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience of moving back to the U.K. while pregnant? Was it easy to get seen by the NHS on your return for pre natal care?

Thanks!
Old Mar 20th 2010, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

CLLL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone moved back to the U.K. while pregnant?

Originally Posted by Interested
Hi - I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience of moving back to the U.K. while pregnant? Was it easy to get seen by the NHS on your return for pre natal care?

Thanks!
Hi there,

Haven't done it yet, but I will be moving back to the UK in May, when I'll be 16 weeks pregnant. I'm hoping it won't be a problem with the NHS as I've only been out the country since September. Are you expecting problems?
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of people that go to the UK to give birth it,s cheaper
Old Mar 21st 2010, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Thanks. I'm just not sure if it will be a problem or not since I've been out of the country for about 9 years. I'm hoping that the NHS will cover me since I'm a British citizen, but I'm not sure if there are any kind of residency rules? Also, I'm hoping that all my medical files etc from Canada can be sent to the U.K. without any problems.

I'll be interested to know what your experience is when you go back in May.

Originally Posted by CLLL
Hi there,

Haven't done it yet, but I will be moving back to the UK in May, when I'll be 16 weeks pregnant. I'm hoping it won't be a problem with the NHS as I've only been out the country since September. Are you expecting problems?
Old Mar 21st 2010, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm not going to give birth in the U.K. because it's cheaper. I don't pay anything for healthcare in Canada - it's covered by government run healthcare. I'm just trying to weigh up the pros and cons of moving back before or after having a baby!

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
There are a lot of people that go to the UK to give birth it,s cheaper
Old Mar 21st 2010, 11:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I'm just not sure if it will be a problem or not since I've been out of the country for about 9 years. I'm hoping that the NHS will cover me since I'm a British citizen, but I'm not sure if there are any kind of residency rules?
The residence rule is that you should be living in the UK, not just visiting.

Bear in mind that you are not supposed to fly after around 6 months pregnancy.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
The residence rule is that you should be living in the UK, not just visiting.

Bear in mind that you are not supposed to fly after around 6 months pregnancy.
Not quite true. With a note from your doctor, you can fly up to 36 weeks. It does depend on the airline though, but most say up to then is fine as long as your doctor's ok'd it.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

I'm not going to give birth in the U.K. because it's cheaper. I don't pay anything for healthcare in Canada - it's covered by government run healthcare. I'm just trying to weigh up the pros and cons of moving back before or after having a baby!
Same here. I've decided to return to the UK for good before the baby arrives. My Mum is going to see her doctor this week and ask what I will need to do once I get home. We'll be staying with her for the first month whilst we settle, so will temporarily register with her practice.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Lots of Brits who are normally resident overseas return to the UK to have kids, because (1) it is free and (2) they're not confident going through labour/birth in a non english-speaking country. A month or so later they go back to their normal country of residence.

Are they entitled to NHS treatment? No, as they are not intending to be permanently resident in the UK, but Yes, if their country of residence has a reciprocal healthcare agreement (i.e. most of Europe).
Old Apr 8th 2010, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

Tizzy01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Along the same lines, I have just found out I'm pregnant and am considering moving back to the UK.
Does anyone know how long you have to be back for before being entitled to any benefits?
I have been living in Barbados for just under 2 years.

Tizzy
Old Apr 9th 2010, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tizzy01
Along the same lines, I have just found out I'm pregnant and am considering moving back to the UK.
Does anyone know how long you have to be back for before being entitled to any benefits?
I have been living in Barbados for just under 2 years.

Tizzy
By law, if you are intending to reside permanently in the UK upon your return, then you are entitled to NHS coverage immediately. Your access to welfare benefits will vary - e.g. there may be a waiting period before you can claim the dole, in the same manner as someone who has finished school must wait some weeks.

In practice, many GPs and even some hospitals will come up with some spurious rubbish about you having been out of the country and not entitled to free care. They are talking bollocks but convincing them of this may be a challenge.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 3:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Please check the Department of Health website because they keep changing the rules about who is and who isn't entitled to free NHS treatment.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Tizzy01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great site, thanks for the info as been googling and couldn't find it anywhere....now to find out if I can claim for any help while I'n unable to work?