British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Anyone moved back to the U.K. while pregnant? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/anyone-moved-back-u-k-while-pregnant-660282/)

Interested Mar 20th 2010 1:24 pm

Anyone moved back to the U.K. while pregnant?

Hi - I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience of moving back to the U.K. while pregnant? Was it easy to get seen by the NHS on your return for pre natal care?

Thanks!

CLLL Mar 20th 2010 11:59 pm

Re: Anyone moved back to the U.K. while pregnant?

Originally Posted by Interested (Post 8434490)
Hi - I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience of moving back to the U.K. while pregnant? Was it easy to get seen by the NHS on your return for pre natal care?

Thanks!

Hi there,

Haven't done it yet, but I will be moving back to the UK in May, when I'll be 16 weeks pregnant. I'm hoping it won't be a problem with the NHS as I've only been out the country since September. Are you expecting problems?

Jan n Neil Mar 21st 2010 8:22 am

There are a lot of people that go to the UK to give birth it,s cheaper :frown:

Interested Mar 21st 2010 10:48 pm

Thanks. I'm just not sure if it will be a problem or not since I've been out of the country for about 9 years. I'm hoping that the NHS will cover me since I'm a British citizen, but I'm not sure if there are any kind of residency rules? Also, I'm hoping that all my medical files etc from Canada can be sent to the U.K. without any problems.

I'll be interested to know what your experience is when you go back in May.

Originally Posted by CLLL (Post 8435453)
Hi there,

Haven't done it yet, but I will be moving back to the UK in May, when I'll be 16 weeks pregnant. I'm hoping it won't be a problem with the NHS as I've only been out the country since September. Are you expecting problems?

Interested Mar 21st 2010 10:50 pm

I'm not going to give birth in the U.K. because it's cheaper. I don't pay anything for healthcare in Canada - it's covered by government run healthcare. I'm just trying to weigh up the pros and cons of moving back before or after having a baby!

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 8435969)
There are a lot of people that go to the UK to give birth it,s cheaper :frown:

JAJ Mar 21st 2010 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Interested (Post 8437347)
Thanks. I'm just not sure if it will be a problem or not since I've been out of the country for about 9 years. I'm hoping that the NHS will cover me since I'm a British citizen, but I'm not sure if there are any kind of residency rules?

The residence rule is that you should be living in the UK, not just visiting.

Bear in mind that you are not supposed to fly after around 6 months pregnancy.

CLLL Mar 21st 2010 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 8437395)
The residence rule is that you should be living in the UK, not just visiting.

Bear in mind that you are not supposed to fly after around 6 months pregnancy.

Not quite true. With a note from your doctor, you can fly up to 36 weeks. It does depend on the airline though, but most say up to then is fine as long as your doctor's ok'd it.

CLLL Mar 21st 2010 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Interested (Post 8437351)
I'm not going to give birth in the U.K. because it's cheaper. I don't pay anything for healthcare in Canada - it's covered by government run healthcare. I'm just trying to weigh up the pros and cons of moving back before or after having a baby!

Same here. I've decided to return to the UK for good before the baby arrives. My Mum is going to see her doctor this week and ask what I will need to do once I get home. We'll be staying with her for the first month whilst we settle, so will temporarily register with her practice.

James516 Mar 23rd 2010 1:17 am

Lots of Brits who are normally resident overseas return to the UK to have kids, because (1) it is free and (2) they're not confident going through labour/birth in a non english-speaking country. A month or so later they go back to their normal country of residence.

Are they entitled to NHS treatment? No, as they are not intending to be permanently resident in the UK, but Yes, if their country of residence has a reciprocal healthcare agreement (i.e. most of Europe).

Tizzy01 Apr 8th 2010 10:52 pm

Along the same lines, I have just found out I'm pregnant and am considering moving back to the UK.
Does anyone know how long you have to be back for before being entitled to any benefits?
I have been living in Barbados for just under 2 years.

Tizzy

James516 Apr 9th 2010 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Tizzy01 (Post 8482806)
Along the same lines, I have just found out I'm pregnant and am considering moving back to the UK.
Does anyone know how long you have to be back for before being entitled to any benefits?
I have been living in Barbados for just under 2 years.

Tizzy

By law, if you are intending to reside permanently in the UK upon your return, then you are entitled to NHS coverage immediately. Your access to welfare benefits will vary - e.g. there may be a waiting period before you can claim the dole, in the same manner as someone who has finished school must wait some weeks.

In practice, many GPs and even some hospitals will come up with some spurious rubbish about you having been out of the country and not entitled to free care. They are talking bollocks but convincing them of this may be a challenge.

Jerseygirl Apr 9th 2010 3:43 am

Please check the Department of Health website because they keep changing the rules about who is and who isn't entitled to free NHS treatment.

Tizzy01 Apr 9th 2010 1:56 pm

Great site, thanks for the info as been googling and couldn't find it anywhere....now to find out if I can claim for any help while I'n unable to work?