Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone looking forward to the long UK winter?

Anyone looking forward to the long UK winter?

Old Oct 27th 2012, 3:18 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone looking forward to the long UK winter?

Originally Posted by dunroving
I thought you might be in Scotland - your photo looks like Skye, or a shot from the West coast somewhere - is that correct? (I also vaguely remembered you mentioning Scotland, but can't keep track of what people said sometimes).

That picture was taken on the banks of Loch Lomond, while we were walking the West Highland Way. The little chap in the picture is my Westie hand puppet, taking a well deserved break. He travels everywhere with me. I know, I know, daft as a brush I am
Old Oct 27th 2012, 3:24 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
That picture was taken on the banks of Loch Lomond, while we were walking the West Highland Way. The little chap in the picture is my Westie hand puppet, taking a well deserved break. He travels everywhere with me. I know, I know, daft as a brush I am
Did you take him on the WHW? I know dogs are supposed to be banned from there (not allowed), because some sections have sheep and other farmland where farmers may actually shoot your dog if it's off-lead and bother sheep. (Doesn't look like that little fellow would "bother" a sheep, though!)

I walk on sections of the WHW as it passes by my village - I can be on it in less than a half-hour. I'd like to do the whole thing maybe next year (I'm supposed to get a new knee in a few days and am thinking of making that a rehab goal - might be a bit ambitious though).
Old Oct 27th 2012, 3:41 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

As dunroving mentions, the long nights and short days are hard to get used to, coming from the US northeast where of course the winters are much colder but being a lot further south so less extremes in day length. I remember back in the seventies, coming back to live in England after our first stint in the US.. We rented a terraced house in York from some friends who had bought it as a holiday home. It was unimproved, no central heating, just coal fires. We were so cold and damp that winter and the nights were so long! However we both worked in chocolate factories so the excess chocolate consumption was a plus!
Old Oct 27th 2012, 3:44 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you take him on the WHW? I know dogs are supposed to be banned from there (not allowed), because some sections have sheep and other farmland where farmers may actually shoot your dog if it's off-lead and bother sheep. (Doesn't look like that little fellow would "bother" a sheep, though!)

I walk on sections of the WHW as it passes by my village - I can be on it in less than a half-hour. I'd like to do the whole thing maybe next year (I'm supposed to get a new knee in a few days and am thinking of making that a rehab goal - might be a bit ambitious though).
Yes, but being a hand puppet he likes his creature comforts, so he was in my backpack the whole way, only coming out for photo ops. I used to have a real Westie and a Wheaten, both now gone, but I still miss my wee Westie.

I loved the WHW. We did it in Oct 2009 and for the entire 7 days we only had a combined total of a half day of rain. I had visions of crossing the Rannoch Moor in a gale, but it was a beautifully sunny day. Even so, The Kinghouse Hotel was a welcome site as that was our longest walking day. We met some great people, stayed in mainly good B & B's and even met a couple from Finland who also had a "cuddly toy".

I hope everything goes well with your op and that you will get a chance to do the WHW. Do you have a preference as to what time of year you would like to go? We are in the middle of the St Cuthbert's Way and at the end of the Pennine Way, so like you, we have some great walking areas to explore.

I won't guess at the name of your village, but you are probably fairly close to where I grew up. I still have friends that live in Milngavie and we stayed with them before heading off on the WHW.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 3:56 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Yes, but being a hand puppet he likes his creature comforts, so he was in my backpack the whole way, only coming out for photo ops. I used to have a real Westie and a Wheaten, both now gone, but I still miss my wee Westie.

I loved the WHW. We did it in Oct 2009 and for the entire 7 days we only had a combined total of a half day of rain. I had visions of crossing the Rannoch Moor in a gale, but it was a beautifully sunny day. Even so, The Kinghouse Hotel was a welcome site as that was our longest walking day. We met some great people, stayed in mainly good B & B's and even met a couple from Finland who also had a "cuddly toy".

I hope everything goes well with your op and that you will get a chance to do the WHW. Do you have a preference as to what time of year you would like to go? We are in the middle of the St Cuthbert's Way and at the end of the Pennine Way, so like you, we have some great walking areas to explore.

I won't guess at the name of your village, but you are probably fairly close to where I grew up. I still have friends that live in Milngavie and we stayed with them before heading off on the WHW.
Yes, I'm the next stop north on the A81 (the "village that is three villages"!) It's a mix of millionaire houses on the oustkirts, posh John Lawrence builds on the north side, and then I am on the south side - combination of former council properties, and some that are still council properties (like the council flats across the road with the two unemployed twins who seem to spend all their time at the pub!) Many people grew up here and know each other from school days. My neighbour was born in his house and bought it from the council for a song. It's a rather odd mix of people, but it seems to work! We have beautiful views of the Campsies. I used to hike to the top, but I don't think I'll ever be doing that again. It's not the going up that's difficult, it's the coming down.

From what I can tell online, a complete knee replacement takes several months for close to full recovery (over a year for a lot of people). However I am relatively young for the surgery, relatively fit and active (less so since I don't have a dog to walk every morning and night), and not overweight. Plus I'm motivated to do rehab so maybe ... late summer, I hope (that would then be about 8 months post-op).
Old Oct 27th 2012, 4:46 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Ye gads it feels really cold outside, central heating on full blast,it costs me over £1800 per year, but I'm keeping warm no matter what.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
Ye gads it feels really cold outside, central heating on full blast,it costs me over £1800 per year, but I'm keeping warm no matter what.
Smokers should be well clear of the front door down the local boozer. Isn't it coming into its own now with roaring log fire and loads of cozy atmosphere to go with that pint of pale ale.

That's how we expats envision it, I think .
Old Oct 27th 2012, 4:56 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Smokers should be well clear of the front door down the local boozer. Isn't it coming into its own now with roaring log fire and loads of cozy atmosphere to go with that pint of pale ale.

I stuffed newspaper up my chimney to stop the winter air coursing down it and into the living room.

Just have to remember not to use the fire.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 4:57 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2

Sat around drinking real ale like real men, in real pubs.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 5:03 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine costs me a bit more than that in rural northern New York; but we have fuel oil which is more expensive than gas. We also have a wood stove in the living room so are able to keep the thermostat down low in the autumn and spring!
Old Oct 27th 2012, 6:38 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have your central heat on year round? That does sound like a lot unless you have a big house I suppose.
Winter is my bill saving time. Electric drops to about $40-$50 a month instead of the 6 or 7 months of $150-$200
Gas is $40 year round and we have a wood burning stove I keep going 24/7 in winter.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 6:40 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I stuffed newspaper up my chimney to stop the winter air coursing down it and into the living room.

Just have to remember not to use the fire.
I remember my Mum had old bed pillows stuff up the chimneys in the bedrooms when I was a kid, saved on the icy blast blowing in. Brrrr.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 7:14 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Do you have your central heat on year round? That does sound like a lot unless you have a big house I suppose.
Winter is my bill saving time. Electric drops to about $40-$50 a month instead of the 6 or 7 months of $150-$200
Gas is $40 year round and we have a wood burning stove I keep going 24/7 in winter.

I have quite a big house, well above the UK average, my sister has a bigger house a 1%er I like to call it, it's like the houses in Australia and she pays £200 a month, most people in the UK pay less, but have smaller houses.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 9:25 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

I have quite a big house, well above the UK average, my sister has a bigger house a 1%er I like to call it, it's like the houses in Australia and she pays £200 a month, most people in the UK pay less, but have smaller houses.
I'm glad to hear that it's a large house, I won't have any such luxury when I return
Old Oct 27th 2012, 11:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I'm glad to hear that it's a large house, I won't have any such luxury when I return
You can get some really nice places here in the UK for about 500 tp 600 pounds a month, there's lots of nice houses and apartments to choose from in Yorkshire, depends obviously on where you want to live, best of luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.