Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone looking forward to the long UK winter?

Anyone looking forward to the long UK winter?

Old Oct 27th 2012, 10:26 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone looking forward to the long UK winter?

Originally Posted by sven31
have you tried indian winter ?? go and have one, its so good temprature is around 15-20 nothing more less... ahahaha... wah
Weirdo alert.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 10:44 am
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dunroving
Weirdo alert.
If only I could have Indian winter would be great, miss them very much. Too perishing cold for me, even the dog has asked to go back
Old Oct 27th 2012, 11:50 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sven31
have you tried indian winter ?? go and have one, its so good temprature is around 15-20 nothing more less... ahahaha... wah

I would be happy with these temperatures in summer.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swHTmEXsCC4

:-)

Last edited by Bud the Wiser; Oct 27th 2012 at 11:58 am. Reason: URL moved
Old Oct 27th 2012, 12:11 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Brilliant that mate.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 2:29 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I am looking forward to experiencing a British winter as it has been a long time since I lived here in all seasons.

This morning I woke up to snow on the hills and the rooftops. That didn't deter the local walking group. We did change our original route, but had a 5 1/2 hour walk in the local hills ending up on the end of the Pennine Way. As the morning grew on the sun came out to give us some wonderful views. That made walking through the slush, snow and cow dung, all worthwhile. At least it wasn't -30.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 2:34 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
I am looking forward to experiencing a British winter as it has been a long time since I lived here in all seasons.

This morning I woke up to snow on the hills and the rooftops. That didn't deter the local walking group. We did change our original route, but had a 5 1/2 hour walk in the local hills ending up on the end of the Pennine Way. As the morning grew on the sun came out to give us some wonderful views. That made walking through the slush, snow and cow dung, all worthwhile. At least it wasn't -30.
Where are you? (Did you know you can post your location in your profile?)

It can be confusing sometimes when people say something about "here" (where they live) and you don't know where they are ... unless of course you are in your secret hideout and don't want us to know where you are.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Changed the link to a new one as the above link seemed to get stuck 1/2 way through. Well it did on my PC.

Here's another one..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oosKI...eature=related
Old Oct 27th 2012, 2:36 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by lf1

Sounds fantastic that, I suppose if I had been away for quite a long while, the actual thought of a UK winter would be appealing.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 2:39 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Where are you? (Did you know you can post your location in your profile?)

It can be confusing sometimes when people say something about "here" (where they live) and you don't know where they are ... unless of course you are in your secret hideout and don't want us to know where you are.
If I tell people where I am there might be an influx of incomers to this hidden gem.

I'll try to update my profile. I recently moved from Canada to the Scottish Borders.

Last edited by lf1; Oct 27th 2012 at 3:20 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 2:54 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
I don't think I would be that bothered about the winter, if we had a proper summer, you know two or three months of nice hot sunny weather, where you could plan for a week away, knowing it will be nice, re-charging your batteries, for the long slog of winter months, it would definitely make me view it different, knowing that a summer was guaranteed, unfortunately it never happens.
After 15+ years in New York, I've had enough hot weather to last me a lifetime! I found my first summer back home to be an absolute joy because there were no days when it was just too hot to be bothered doing anything (as opposed to 3 months of being locked inside with the AC on full blast but still failing to keep the house cool on the hottest days).

We were out every weekend and many a long evening, walking in the countryside and seeing the sights, and that to me is recharging my batteries.

I honestly wish everyone could appreciate what they have here as much as I do. It's like getting a new lease of life.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 3:07 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
After 15+ years in New York, I've had enough hot weather to last me a lifetime! I found my first summer back home to be an absolute joy because there were no days when it was just too hot to be bothered doing anything (as opposed to 3 months of being locked inside with the AC on full blast but still failing to keep the house cool on the hottest days).

We were out every weekend and many a long evening, walking in the countryside and seeing the sights, and that to me is recharging my batteries.

I honestly wish everyone could appreciate what they have here as much as I do. It's like getting a new lease of life.
Sally, I am with you on the heat issue. During the last few weeks that we were in Calgary, it was really warm. It made the moving process even more stressful. I have heard that it remained hot for the rest of the summer, so I am glad I missed it. I know most people think I am mad when they hear me talk about the weather like that, but baking in the heat does absolutely nothing for me.

A few years ago, OH was asked to consider a posting in Oz. I said OK, as long as we are not expected to stay for more than 2 years, max 3, as the climate would drive me crazy. Thankfully, things didn't work out and we have now been able to move to Scotland instead.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 3:09 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by lf1
If I tell people where I am there might be influx on incomers to this hidden gem.

I'll try to update my profile. I recently moved from Canada to the Scottish Borders.
I thought you might be in Scotland - your photo looks like Skye, or a shot from the West coast somewhere - is that correct? (I also vaguely remembered you mentioning Scotland, but can't keep track of what people said sometimes).
Old Oct 27th 2012, 3:14 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
Sounds fantastic that, I suppose if I had been away for quite a long while, the actual thought of a UK winter would be appealing.

Yes, I think some of us may see things a little differently, after we have been away for a while. Winters in Calgary could be cold, at times, but the lovely blue skies helped you through the winters. I know I will miss the Calgary winter sunshine, but hope that the days here will not be as grey as sometimes painted.

We visited Scotland during the big snowstorm a couple of years ago and we had some lovely sunny days. It was beautiful.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 3:16 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

I can see why some people might prefer UK weather to summers in Australia (in particular) and also many areas of the US (and of course UK winters in comparison to CN and northern US).

I must say that I didn't mind the summer heat in the US as much as you did (I was in MA, GA, TN and NC). I think the intense sunshine bothered me more than the heat per se.

I enjoy the few temperate summer days we have here in Scotland, but will move further south if I don't head back to the US because I just find the weather too "dreich" up here, for too many days each year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.