British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Anyone looking forward to the long UK winter? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/anyone-looking-forward-long-uk-winter-775843/)

Pit Bull. Oct 26th 2012 5:59 pm

Anyone looking forward to the long UK winter?

Not me for one, I don't like the long UK winter, it stops me playing golf, I know you can still get out and play a bit, but it's wet, cold and sludgy not how golf should be, ah well, soon be next April, only about 6 months away. :thumbdown::frown:

dunroving Oct 26th 2012 7:35 pm

Re: Anyone looking forward to the long UK winter?

Originally Posted by Pit Bull. (Post 10351503)
Not me for one, I don't like the long UK winter, it stops me playing golf, I know you can still get out and play a bit, but it's wet, cold and sludgy not how golf should be, ah well, soon be next April, only about 6 months away. :thumbdown::frown:

I'm sure there will be at least one person who thinks it's a good thing.

Pit Bull. Oct 26th 2012 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10351659)
I'm sure there will be at least one person who thinks it's a good thing.

Let me guess.:goodpost:

jemima55 Oct 26th 2012 8:17 pm

I've got to say I've found the weather "invigorating", but it's nice to see a grey sky without thinking it may lead to a hole in the roof from a fallen branch or four day power outage.
The weather has been quite relentlessly dull, but it's kind of harmless. Maybe that's because I live on such high ground that if we ever got floods I'd probably see Noah floating by in his ark!
I'm not exactly looking forward to the winter but I'm redecorating and hoping to make the house so attractive and cosy nobody notices the outside. We once visited northern Norway, imagine living there, no sun for about six months of the year!
Oh, and hurricane Sandy's currently heading up the East coast of the USA where we still have a house so I'm counting my blessings.
Ok, does that make me a good Robin substitute?

sallysimmons Oct 26th 2012 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by jemima55 (Post 10351723)
I've got to say I've found the weather "invigorating", but it's nice to see a grey sky without thinking it may lead to a hole in the roof from a fallen branch or four day power outage.

Me too. I see that New York is expecting a major "nor' easter" tonight and I can't help thinking of the lovely people who bought our old home and how they'll be up tonight worrying whether a tree will come through the roof. I remember those long nights and I'm happy never to relive one.

My hobby is sketching and painting and that's every bit as interesting in winter as it is in summer. I'm just looking forward to having days where it's not too cold to hold my pencil outside. I basically hibernated in NY for 5 months.

Lorry1 Oct 26th 2012 10:47 pm

Try a Canadian winter. I never use to dread UK winters but since being here in Canada I dread each one. You never know how cold and how snowy it's going to be until it's here.
Thank goodness this is my last :thumbsup:

Lothianlad Oct 26th 2012 11:35 pm

The 2012/13 UK Winter is set to begin in 25 and a half hours' time from now - at 02:00 hrs on Sunday morning 28/10/12 which will miraculously become 01:00hrs - an extra hour in bed.

But the cold north easterly winds of the past few days and today Friday especially a sharp drop in temperature to not much above freezing...it's actually dead on zero C here in Edinburgh right now...means an early foretaste of things to come....but a slight warming up later on Sunday - from the west....with rain.

Sally Redux Oct 27th 2012 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Pit Bull. (Post 10351672)
Let me guess.:goodpost:

All this would make a lot more sense if you were comparing two places you'd lived in.

robin1234 Oct 27th 2012 1:48 am

A nice mild British winter would be nice. I tried to make the best of it when we moved up here, bought the cross country skis and snow shoes etc., but after a few years I had to face it. I don't like to be out in the profoundly cold, dry weather with snow on the ground for six or seven months that we get here.

Still, before winter comes we supposedly have Sandy coming through but I'll believe that when I see it..

quoll Oct 27th 2012 5:56 am

Don't mind it in the least. Last winter wasn't a real issue at all, there were many days where it was cold but bright, it is not constantly the overcast grey that people seem to believe (I reckon if there is just one grey day in a week, someone will say "it's been miserable for weeks"). Last winter the weather didn't stop me from doing anything I wanted as far as I can recall.

At least you can rug up against the cold, there is no escape from the heat. What does astonish me though is how hot the Poms seem to think they need to keep their homes in winter - perhaps if they ratchet the central heating down a degree or two hen the difference won't be as great.

curleytops Oct 27th 2012 7:33 am

After 45 Canadian winters and many -30 or -40C days I'm not the least bit bothered. You could pretty much write off November through April over there & it seemed to get harder every year.

chris955 Oct 27th 2012 9:23 am

It doesnt really bother me, to be honest English wniters are quite mild overall so I still get to be able to do all the usual stuff outside. I wouldnt say it is a good thing but I am in no way dreading it. Wevisited friends in Wiltshire yesterday and on the way back I asked my kids if they were bothere by the cold, they said no, not really, it is better than the heat. It is so true.

chris955 Oct 27th 2012 9:26 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 10352242)
Don't mind it in the least. Last winter wasn't a real issue at all, there were many days where it was cold but bright, it is not constantly the overcast grey that people seem to believe (I reckon if there is just one grey day in a week, someone will say "it's been miserable for weeks"). Last winter the weather didn't stop me from doing anything I wanted as far as I can recall.

At least you can rug up against the cold, there is no escape from the heat. What does astonish me though is how hot the Poms seem to think they need to keep their homes in winter - perhaps if they ratchet the central heating down a degree or two hen the difference won't be as great.

Yes it is absolutely beautiful today, brilliant blue sky but obviously getting cold. It isnt like the winter lasts for 6 months or anything stupid like that. The 'worst' of it lasts 4 months and even then it isnt as if it stops you doing anything.

Pit Bull. Oct 27th 2012 9:39 am

I don't think I would be that bothered about the winter, if we had a proper summer, you know two or three months of nice hot sunny weather, where you could plan for a week away, knowing it will be nice, re-charging your batteries, for the long slog of winter months, it would definitely make me view it different, knowing that a summer was guaranteed, unfortunately it never happens.

dunroving Oct 27th 2012 10:22 am

Being up in Scotland, the winter is a different experience than further south in England. Also, the west side (Glasgow) is a lot wetter than the east (Edinburgh).

The nights are a lot longer up here, and the temperatures a lot lower. As has been alluded to, the summers are so short and unpredictable (again, particularly up here - colder summer days than England) that you find yourself thinking "Hang on! We didn't get a proper summer yet!" I think that sometimes makes the winters seem longer than they are.

There is a cold snap here at the moment and we put the clocks back tonight so definitely feels like winter is coming - need to plant those bulbs before the ground gets too hard! I won't be seeing them for 6 months.

Fortunately, the weather has been pretty dry for a few weeks now. I don't mind (in fact, quite enjoy) cold days if it's crisp and dry - very nice to go walking in that weather. I've had many memorable winter days hiking with the dog across a snow, or frost-covered moor to the cafe at the local country park for a full fry-up (she'd get her own piece of bacon) - days like that are not only bearable but enjoyable.

Last Christmas/New Year here was awful - driving wind and cold rain, just relentless. That was when Suzy got really ill and eventually died and I remember just trying to get her out of the door for a short walk, or letting her into the back garden for the loo. She was all hunched up and completely miserable-looking as the rain was battering her, and the wind was almost knocking her over. It just emphasized for me how nasty the weather can be here, it was very cruel timing.

I can see how anyone who has lived in Canada would appreciate our winters. I was in Massachusetts for 2 years. No comparison to Canada of course, but one winter we had deep, hard snow and bitter cold for several weeks and you just can't do anything when it's like that. At least here you can put on the right clothes and get out and do something.