Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone live in Jersey that can tell me what its like?

Anyone live in Jersey that can tell me what its like?

Old Jan 13th 2011, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone live in Jersey that can tell me what its like?

Originally Posted by fatcat65
thank you for that, however, if i've read it properly, there are only certain houses that are available to rent and are quite tightly controlled and quite right too, however, if my OH had a job offer then we would be likely to be able to apply for one of these house should there be one vacant...right???
The option i see is that we live in France and ferry over for the OH job?
I noticed that some businesses, such as supermarkets, provide accommodation with the job above the store. Perhaps it may be worth finding out if an employer could sort you out with somewhere. Have you thought about the other islands? My Granddad used to work in Guernsey - he'd take the ferry over. I don't know whether commuting from France is doable.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

I am from Jersey and lived there until I was 21 then again 26 - 29 ( family is still there ) so here goes:

You won't be able to buy a house in Jersey unless it's over a certain price, about a million I believe & there are restrictions on what you can rent.

Due to new laws put in place to protect workers rights that were overly biased towards the employee employers, in many cases, now have staff sign contracts stating no paid vacation , no paid sick days, termination clauses etc. Was just talking with my parents about this as they own several businesses and they mentioned how much the whole workplace environment has changed and not for the better.

It's a very "closed" community and I would imagine it would be hard to make friends there as an "outsider". I dated a Canadian girl when I lived there for several years and she really couldn't fit in and finally moved to the US.

There is a very big drinking culture there among adults and teens alike and drug use among youngsters has risen greatly in the last several years.

Because it's driven primarily by the finance industry there is a lot of money there which seems to have bred a bit of an "I'm cool" factor across the board.

Obviously , as an Island, it feels very claustrophobic there really are no open spaces and it's nearly impossible to get away from people.

It is noticably warmer than the U.K esp in winter, snow fall rare and only lasts a few days. It's a lot more windy than the U.K.

Sales tax is very low, gas is cheaper than the U.K , food is slightly more expensive.

It's great to be able to hop on a boat and be in St Malo an hour later.

There are an abundance of good restaurants & bars in town - the seafood is AMAZING ( St Helier ) but because of the crack down on drink driving the bars out of town have really been hit hard and are very quite most of the time. Last time I was back though I avoided going in to town on Friday & Saturday nights because of all the drunk kids coming out the dive bars & clubs.

No commuting ! I'd get up at 8:05 take care of business and be at work for 8:30, leave at 5:30 and be home/beach/whatever by 5:45.

Getting away can be expensive ( google Condor Ferries, Aurigny Airlines, Flybe, BMI to get an idea of cost to and from the island ) .

The beaches and coast are amazing, beautiful sands crystal clear water, great surf ( they have had the Euro Surf Champs there once or twice ) .

There are some amazing coastal walks to be had. Surfing, windsurfing, diving, kayaking, fishing, land yachting are all readily available.

The people are different there than the U.K and you can come across a bit of an attitude where they thing they are a step above for some wierd reason !

I'd really think about moving there with the kids. My experience was it's not a great place to be a teenager. I'd imagine coming from a place as big as Canada with all the freedom it brings PLUS being an outsider could make it really tough on them.

I moved from the island to Lymington ( New Forest ) and much preferred it , it was a lot more laid back and the people were friendlier.

Hope this isn't too negative ! P.M me if you'd like to know more I'm quite happy to help in anyway I can .

NB any citizen of the European community can come and work in Jersey. There are a lot of English, Irish, Scottish, Portuguese, Polish & French there as well as Italians & Pakistani's .

Last edited by Englishman43; Jan 13th 2011 at 9:11 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

For God's sake will someone please mention Bergerac
Old Jan 14th 2011, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
For God's sake will someone please mention Bergerac
Old Jan 14th 2011, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

My family and I will be moving somewhere after living in Canada for 2 and half years. We don't want to go to mainland UK and Jersey looks really inviting. OH is an electrician and i am a manager of a Day Program for adults with disabilities although i've worked in travel and with young offenders too.
We want to be near the sea as we have been landlocked since being in Canada so any info on what life is really like living on the island would be nice. We are still undecided where to go to so are gathering info at the moment.
We want a little bit of night life, we miss going to a bar that has people in it after 9pm and doesn't play country music all night!! My kids are 16 & 18 so no schools required but the youngest is Autistic although high functioning and i believe there is an Autism society on the island that i have looked at and would defo be involved with. I was a chair person of a local Autism support group back in the UK so i have some experience there too.
Thanks for any info you have in advance
ttfn
Here is an interesting article on Jersey property. It does say to live there that you have to show an annual income of 500,000 GBP. Maybe try the Isle of Man, I believe immigration is easier there.

http://www.countrylife.co.uk/propert...de-Jersey.html

Last edited by johnh009; Jan 14th 2011 at 4:01 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 10:29 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by johnh009
Here is an interesting article on Jersey property. It does say to live there that you have to show an annual income of 500,000 GBP. Maybe try the Isle of Man, I believe immigration is easier there.

Wow what an elitist attitude, that's as bad as the discrimination we've come across in Canada...lets just say we will avoid the island at all costs and they can stick their attitudes up their arse!! won't even come for a holiday and give them our hard earned money!!
Thanks for the info though, you've certainly put a big cross on that idea!!

Guess the only people they will be getting in future are the ones that took over the UK as you can bet they will find a way around that!
Old Jan 14th 2011, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by johnh009

That is for people that want to qualify for a 1(1) K housing licence. Believe me you can roll up there tomorrow with out two pennies to rub together find a job and rent a place no problem.

That article is on Countrylife after all , not the standard reading material of your regular bod

Last edited by Englishman43; Jan 14th 2011 at 10:42 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 10:47 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Englishman43
That is for people that want to qualify for a 1(1) K housing licence. Believe me you can roll up there tomorrow with out two pennies to rub together find a job and rent a place no problem.

That article is on Countrylife after all , not the standard reading material of your regular bod
really, god this is confusing, there is very little clear info and i have to say Jersey's government website didn't say anything about having a certain amount of money so maybe i did jump the gun a bit!!

Thanks Englishman, maybe we'll put a question mark back on the map there!!
Old Jan 14th 2011, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Guess the only people they will be getting in future are the ones that took over the UK as you can bet they will find a way around that!
Tories?
Old Jan 14th 2011, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

really, god this is confusing, there is very little clear info and i have to say Jersey's government website didn't say anything about having a certain amount of money so maybe i did jump the gun a bit!!

Thanks Englishman, maybe we'll put a question mark back on the map there!!
PM me if you want , I'm more than happy to give you as much info as you'd like on the place. I know LOADS of people there that get around the housing laws ( not illegally ). They will rent a house with a Jersey born person, who signs the lease, to get around the restrictions on rented accomodation for example.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the reply,
I have googled it and looked at loads of stuff but if you could tell me any personal opinions i find that always helps. I know where i came from in the NW of England, it looks beautiful but if anyone ask me what it was like to live there id tell them to forget it! So if you want to tell me your personal stuff that's fine cause that's what i want then can make an informed decision.
thanks again
I lived there for 8 months back in 1979 and whilst it was nice, you need to be aware that you cannot ever buy a home there due to residency restrictions, they would not even let John Nettles (Bergerac fame) buy a home there and he created so much tourism interest there!! Also it gets a bit claustrophobic after a while cos you can drive the whole island in 1 hour!!! Its pretty though!
Old Jan 15th 2011, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by shelley748
Also it gets a bit claustrophobic after a while cos you can drive the whole island in 1 hour!!! Its pretty though!
This is a very good point to consider when thinking about island living. I always fancied Cyprus and realised after a 3 week recce that I was constantly driving on the same stretch of road. Suits some though.