Wikiposts

Anyone immigrated with a dog?

Old Oct 27th 2003, 5:44 am
former Rochesterian

katina is an unknown quantity at this point

Here are some tips on air travel with pets: http://www.hsus.org/ace/11869
Old Oct 27th 2003, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

Gigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant future

Just out of interest, Katina .. how was this going to help me? Am I to presume that my dog will be one of the 5000 who die?
Old Oct 27th 2003, 5:57 am
former Rochesterian

Originally posted by Gigiola
Just out of interest, Katina .. how was this going to help me? Am I to presume that my dog will be one of the 5000 who die?
Well, among the links at the bottom of that page are pet-transport policies for several airlines, information about the Safe Air Travel for Animals Act, tips on how to best travel with pets on airplanes, etc.
As for the 5,000 figure, if I were going to travel with a pet on a plane, I'd like to know the risks. If it were unavoidable and my pet had to go on an airplane, then I'd have no choice, but I would still like to be aware.
I hope others can get something out of this link; that's why I posted it.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Karen D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud of

Originally posted by katina
Here are some tips on air travel with pets: http://www.hsus.org/ace/11869
Wow, nice post Katina... Not!

I state again Jill/Gigiola:
People travel with pets all the time with no ill effect on the animal. Whatever experience your dog has with flying, at least you'll be together in the end.

I think it is much better to bring a pet with you, than leave it behind and risk finding it a less suitable loving home than it has been used to. That could cause more stress than anything.

Old Oct 27th 2003, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Karen D
Don't mean to start anything, but I don't know why two people already said it was a bad post?? I went to the link and found some nice things on there that I hadn't found in previous searches of this subject. I like to be aware of the risks of travelling with pets... that way I can be prepared. For instance, it would never have occured to me to actually tell the captain there's a pet on board. I also found the list of airlines very handy.

Elaine
Forum Regular

Gigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant future

Thanks Karen,

I reckon I fought my negatives on this already. We'll find the best way of getting her over .. even if it means buying her a seat!! Heck I got from Madrid to Chicago and back for 368 Euros!!
former Rochesterian

Um, did you read my second post? I posted that link because there are plenty of resources at the bottom of that page, for example, a guide to what certain airlines allow and what they don't, etc. It would be much easier to read that list rather than call every airline to check.

Nowhere in my post did I say, "wow, people who put their pets on airplanes are dumb." I didn't say, "I would never put MY pet on an airplane." I didn't say that either, because those aren't true. Actually I didn't say anything at all -- I posted a URL that links to a page with facts on it.

I state again Jill/Gigiola:
People travel with pets all the time with no ill effect on the animal. Whatever experience your dog has with flying, at least you'll be together in the end.
I don't disagree that people travel with pets all the time and everything's just fine. I agree.

I think it is much better to bring a pet with you, than leave it behind and risk finding it a less suitable loving home than it has been used to. That could cause more stress than anything.

I would never leave a pet behind if I were to move to another country. I also believe that airlines don't really have animals as their #1 priority. But if you have to fly your pet, you have to. I'm not judging anyone here.

Last edited by katina; Oct 27th 2003 at 6:30 am.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 6:19 am
former Rochesterian

Originally posted by HunterGreen
Don't mean to start anything, but I don't know why two people already said it was a bad post?? I went to the link and found some nice things on there that I hadn't found in previous searches of this subject. I like to be aware of the risks of travelling with pets... that way I can be prepared. For instance, it would never have occured to me to actually tell the captain there's a pet on board. I also found the list of airlines very handy.

Elaine
Thank you! I appreciate the support.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

Katina,

It's ok ... just not many people will bother looking at the links after reading the article! Bit like the small print at the end of a contract ... one can only expect worse!
Old Oct 27th 2003, 6:23 am
former Rochesterian

Katina,

It's ok ... just not many people will bother looking at the links after reading the article! Bit like the small print at the end of a contract ... one can only expect worse!
I agree that the links on the page aren't very prominent. So for the benefit of future readers of this thread, here is the info:

Summary of Airline Pet-Transport Policies
http://www.hsus.org/ace/11860

The Safe Air Travel for Animals Act
http://www.hsus.org/ace/11848

Tips for Safe Pet Air Travel
http://www.hsus.org/ace/11867

Preparing Your Pet's Travel Supplies
http://www.hsus.org/ace/11835
Old Oct 27th 2003, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Karen D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud of

Originally posted by katina
Um, did you read my second post? I posted that link because there are plenty of resources at the bottom of that page, for example, a guide to what certain airlines allow and what they don't, etc. It would be much easier to read that list rather than call every airline to check.

Nowhere in my post did I say, "wow, people who put their pets on airplanes are dumb"? I didn't say, "I would never put MY pet on an airplane"? No, I didn't say that either, because those aren't true. Actually I didn't say anything at all -- I posted a URL that links to a page with facts on it.

I don't disagree that people travel with pets all the time and everything's just fine. I agree.

I would never leave a pet behind if I were to move to another country. I also believe that airlines don't really have animals as their #1 priority. But if you have to fly your pet, you have to. I'm not judging anyone here.
Sorry Katina, I posted my reply before i got to see you posted again.

My attention was drawn to the first few paragraphs, which obviously didn't read too well and bearing in mind your post didn't have any additional comments, I jumped to the wrong conclusion, sorry.

Probably didn't help that my cat had gone missing in my garden for over 2 hours (unusual for him). Back safe now, thankfully
Old Oct 27th 2003, 6:34 am
former Rochesterian

Sorry Katina, I posted my reply before i got to see you posted again.

My attention was drawn to the first few paragraphs, which obviously didn't read too well and bearing in mind your post didn't have any additional comments, I jumped to the wrong conclusion, sorry.

Probably didn't help that my cat had gone missing in my garden for over 2 hours (unusual for him). Back safe now, thankfully
Thanks, that's alright. And I'm glad your cat is back home safe.

Last edited by katina; Oct 27th 2003 at 6:36 am.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 6:47 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone immigrated with a dog?

I just heard of a company that allows dogs in the cabin ... from Europe to South Africa!!!

But seriously .. I would be grateful for any advice. She's a smallish moungrel and, under normal conditions, I have three flights to get to Indy. I can split this up and also can be met at Chicago which will minimise the stress for her.

Any experiences?
Hello Gigiola

I flew my Lhasa Apso girlie Honey,out with me in July this year. The place to get info for entry to USA with a dog (or cat) is the Centre For Disease Control. Also Brits in the US has a link too, which is very good.

This is my experience. Sorry it's so long.

Had microchip inserted in January 2003. This isn't a requirement to enter the US when travelling from the UK but it is a requirement if we subsequently want to return to the UK. Don't know if it's the same for Spain. Also had normal doggie booster vaccinations.

Had Rabies vaccination on 22nd May 2003. Again, not a requirement to enter the US but is if I want to return to the UK.

June 3rd visit US Embassy London to get K3 Visa!! (No I didn't take Honey!) Booked flights to go to Chicago for 10th July.

Returned to vets 22nd June to have a blood test to see if the Rabies anti-bodies are at a satisfactory level. Results came back 2 weeks later. All was fine. Treated for worms and ticks.... Honey not me!

Middle of June bought a pet carrier online form a pet shop. The one I bought was called a Vari Kennel, medium size and it meets all the recommended regulations for International Air travel for a dog of Honey's size. Cost 48 GBP. Left it in the living room with the door open for Honey to get used to it. She didn't go near it so I took the lid off, put her bedding in it, put her old bed away and she started using it like her normal bed. Booked Honey on the same flights as us with United Airlines as EXCESS BAGGAGE. The kennel is too big to go inside the cabin so she has to travel in the heated/air conditioned hold.

9th July got hand written air travel letter from vet saying Honey is fit to travel. Also had the Pet Passport travel docs issued in case we want to return to UK in the future.

Travelled down to Heathrow on July 10th, Me, hubby and Honey. Checked our baggage in and then checked Honey in as excess baggage. The check in clerks were very thorough, checked all the paperwork several times and put more stickers on the travel kennel. Honey was placed nearby in a waiting area. We stayed with her until the last minute before we had to go to the departure lounge. It was hard leaving her there.

Temp on July 10th was high 80F. Because she was travelling as excess baggage and being accompanied, there didn't seem to be any restrictions on high/low temperature. It appears that if the animal is travelling unaccompanied and on a cargo flight that is when the temperature regs kick in but other airlines may have different regulations.

When boarding the plane we asked that we are informed when Honey is loaded into the hold. Just before we were about to take off three different cabin crew came to tell us Honey had boarded safely!

At Chicago we went through immigration. My hubby went through the USC line and I went through the visitors line. By the time I had cleared immigration, my hubby had collected Honey and let her out for a little walk in the baggage reclaim area! They board the animals last and they unload them first so they are off before any luggage. We had to take her to see the Public Health Officer. He didn't look at Honey at all, just took her paperwork. Now, as I said, it isn't a requirement to have a rabies vaccine from the UK to enter the US, but the first thing the public health officer wanted to see was her rabies vaccine paperwork. Glad we had it done!

Went through customs and out into the arrival area. When my hubby went to get our car, me and Honey waited outside. She was absolutely fine! You'd have thought she had just got out of the car after a 10 minute ride!! About a week after arriving here I went to the local town hall and got her dog license/rabies tag which cost about $8. She has settled down to life in the US very well and gets on with her Golden Retriever house mate very well... little and large!!

Sorry again if this seems a long answer!! Hope it helps.

Maggie
Old Oct 27th 2003, 6:56 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

One other thing... if you go to the airline web site and look for Support Services and then Special Needs you will find the airlines rules and regs for animal transport amongst other things like disabled passengers, children etc.

I read every piece of information I could find as there was no way I was leaving her behind! Good luck. By the way what sort of dog is she/he?

Maggie
Old Oct 27th 2003, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Maggie, you're a pearl!

That really was fantastic.

Daisy is already tagged and rabies shots are a yearly affair here, along with a couple of other vaccinations. But don't worry .. I will get everything checked out. I also have to check out exactly what I will need for her to stay a couple of weeks in UK to break the journey.

Many, many thanks ... saving to Daisy's file in favourites !!! Jill

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.