Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone immigrated with a dog?

Wikiposts

Anyone immigrated with a dog?

Old Oct 25th 2003, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

Gigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant future
Default Anyone immigrated with a dog?

I just heard of a company that allows dogs in the cabin ... from Europe to South Africa!!!

But seriously .. I would be grateful for any advice. She's a smallish moungrel and, under normal conditions, I have three flights to get to Indy. I can split this up and also can be met at Chicago which will minimise the stress for her.

Any experiences?
Old Oct 25th 2003, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Karen D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone immigrated with a dog?

Originally posted by Gigiola
I just heard of a company that allows dogs in the cabin ... from Europe to South Africa!!!

But seriously .. I would be grateful for any advice. She's a smallish moungrel and, under normal conditions, I have three flights to get to Indy. I can split this up and also can be met at Chicago which will minimise the stress for her.

Any experiences?
Hi

Not a dog but I have 2 cats. I flew out on 1st Sept from England but the cats had to follow at a later date following a rabies jab.

They are 13 and 14 years old so I was really worried and went through much anxiety about the right thing to do. Many people questioned what I was doing (i.e. bringing them at all) but, call me selfish, I didn't want to live here in the USA without them.

At one point I thought they were going to be travelling on the same flight as me, but as our departure point was England, they wouldn't have been able to accompany me in the cabin. Initially I thought they could, but I still decided against it. Its bad enough when you have a baby screeming all the way through a flight, so watching my 2 cats getting distressed at all the noise and people? I decided that "out of sight is (slightly more) out of mind". They had to travel in the hold, which is obviously pressurised and temperature controlled. Although I believe it is dark, with less distractions I figured they'd be able to "relax" more.

I understand that if an airline does allows pets in the cabin, it is only if their cage fits under the seat in front of you. Also, some airlines only allow one or two pets per flight, so do check this out.

I was advised that cats can't be sedated on a flight - something about an adverse reaction, they can die. Don't know whether it is possible with a dog though, if you feel that would help you or her.

If you have to take 3 flights, then maybe it'd be better if she travelled with you if she can. I was lucky, my cats travelled on a direct flight from London to Boston - my sister accompanied them.

My cats made the trip successfully and are here with me now

Good luck whatever you decide. And remember, people travel with pets all the time. Whatever your dog has to go through, at least you'll be together in the end - she'll forgive you!
Old Oct 25th 2003, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Not an experience yet, but we're planning the big trip with a pet rabbit in tow... lol. I know for certain that Delta allows small pets in the cabin, but limited to 2 per flight, and I'm not sure if it was free of charge or not. Also, like Karen said, the cage has to fit under the seat in front of you. Gee, I have to look into this again, because I seem to have forgotten a lot of the details already! Most airlines have information about this on their websites, that's how I found out. Make sure that the information you get applies to international flights, not (just) domestic.

Elaine
Old Oct 25th 2003, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Gigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant future

Thanks Karen,

I'm going to look into the possibility of travelling first to Manchester, which I think is possible now, and staying a week with my Mum. Then taking a direct flight to Chicago.

Heck .. this is all so far away!
Old Oct 25th 2003, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Elaine,

No way she'd fit under the seat!!! She's certainly bigger than a West Highland, for instance.
Old Oct 25th 2003, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Karen D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud of

No way she'd fit under the seat!!! She's certainly bigger than a West Highland, for instance.
She'll be fine in the hold. Calling my pets "Cargo" wasn't nice but at least they were spared the airline food!

VERY IMPORTANT. Something I didn't post before, check carefully about approved kennel types and sizes If the kennel isn't the right type, size, with right amount of ventilation, etc., the airline is likely to refuse to take it. I bought a Vari Kennel (approved make) which was big enough for both my cats. I had to measure them to find the correct size.

Check out these links:
http://www.k9caterers.com/kennels.htm
http://www.petmate.com/Catalog.plx?ID=1546&SizeID=1

Dont' forget to ask about sedation if you feel that would help.

For more info, the following links will help:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/oa/pubs/petravel.html[/url]
http://www.iata.org/cargooperations/...imals/pets.htm

Old Oct 25th 2003, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again Karen,

Wealth of information in what you have given me.

What would we do without this place!!!
Old Oct 25th 2003, 3:33 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Any experiences?

You guys are lucky to bring your pets with you,I can't take my dog Senda and cat Rubilla with me.. because they are family pets , I miss them already and I haven't left yet!!

Last edited by Hypertweeky; Oct 25th 2003 at 3:36 am.
Old Oct 25th 2003, 3:43 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Karen D
She'll be fine in the hold. Calling my pets "Cargo" wasn't nice but at least they were spared the airline food!

VERY IMPORTANT. Something I didn't post before, check carefully about approved kennel types and sizes If the kennel isn't the right type, size, with right amount of ventilation, etc., the airline is likely to refuse to take it. I bought a Vari Kennel (approved make) which was big enough for both my cats. I had to measure them to find the correct size.

Check out these links:
http://www.k9caterers.com/kennels.htm
http://www.petmate.com/Catalog.plx?ID=1546&SizeID=1

Dont' forget to ask about sedation if you feel that would help.

For more info, the following links will help:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/oa/pubs/petravel.html[/url]
http://www.iata.org/cargooperations/...imals/pets.htm

I travelled across the big pond, both ways with cats and dogs and they all went as cargo. There is a charge for that, somewhere in the 100 dollar plus range.
The less stress the better for the pet in any circumstance, so good if you can do a direct flight.
Please note that the time of year can affect the move. Airlines can and will refuse to take a pet as cargo if the temperature is too high.
Old Oct 25th 2003, 6:18 am
Maryanne Kehoe

Make sure on any vaccinations the US will require for you to bring your
pet into the country, I don't think we have the quarantine laws like the
UK has.

Old Oct 25th 2003, 10:19 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Maryanne Kehoe
Make sure on any vaccinations the US will require for you to bring your
pet into the country, I don't think we have the quarantine laws like the
UK has.

We don't unless you are going to Hawaii.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 3:20 am
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default not, but my cat flew with us

I flew my cat from toronto to arizona in december.. he had to have his shots updated. he weighs 16 pounds and was in a carry on bag for animals, much like a duffle bag. we gave him a sedative before he got excited and was no trouble at all.

so it depends how big your animal is.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 4:25 am
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Any experiences?
Hi Gigiola

I flew my dog out in July fro Heathrow. I haven't got time to post this minute but as I have to go out, but will when I get back.

Maggie
Old Oct 27th 2003, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Maggie .. thanks everyone else too !!!

Look forward to hearing how it went.

The jury is IN !!! She's definitely coming with me however we plan it.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Just realized a poster called Doctor (or Doc) Scrumpy just this past weekend travelled with his dog from the UK to the US. Maybe he's got some tips for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.