Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone going home this month?

Anyone going home this month?

Old Mar 16th 2010, 5:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone going home this month?

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Where abouts are you staying in UK Pol?
Camden Town, Keynsham (Bristol) and High Wycombe - possibly in that order but I won't guarantee it!
Old Mar 17th 2010, 5:33 am
Just Joined

tinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by stm1971
Oh Pollyana, I really hope you will return for good one day. There was a time when I thought I was stuck here for good. In the end it's taken me nearly 10 years to be released I'm sure I would have got less for murder!

In the meantime enjoy your fix.
Lots of luck & best wishes to you stm.
So happy to hear you are finally going home.
Haven't been on here for a while but still think of all my fellow homesick souls.
Our escape is planned for September, living on a house boat in kent until we get jobs etc.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 5:43 am
Just Joined

tinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi I just wanted to wish everyone returning home all the very best, we are returning home in April after 12 years in Aus and I am now getting excited....Take care...I can also count 1 really good friend here in Aus...after all this time...yet I still have all my great friends in the U.K who have "stuck" with me through thick and thin...lol...I am also looking forward though to meeting new friends etc.....
Good luck and best wishes to you too brits1. Can't believe you are going home too.
I don't feel stuck here anymore, i'm just waiting patiently untill I break out, go back home and live the life I want to live.
My OH said we could live on my enthusiasm at the moment.
Good luck!
Old Mar 17th 2010, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

missot is an unknown quantity at this point

Myself and my Canadian husband leave beautiful Vancouver to come back to the UK in less than a week's time! We are both very excited although also feeling a bit overwhelmed. In the time I have lived here in Vancouver (2.5 years) I have learnt a lot about myself and am itching to crack on with all the great outdoor opportunities the UK offers. When I lived there, I took it for granted that there were things like the 3 peaks challenge, running races of varying distances every weekend, 'open' access to rambling footpaths, the National Trust, proximity to European hiking, skiing in Scotland etc. Now I am coming back with fresh eyes and see a wealth of wonderful opportunties. I am also in the fortunate position that we will always come back to visit Vancouver as this is where my husband is from and we consider it to be our second home.

Anyway to all those heading back this month - good luck! It is daunting and exciting and scary but que sera sera...it will all work out in the end
Old Mar 18th 2010, 7:08 am
Just Joined

EttyLou will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by missot
Myself and my Canadian husband leave beautiful Vancouver to come back to the UK in less than a week's time! We are both very excited although also feeling a bit overwhelmed. In the time I have lived here in Vancouver (2.5 years) I have learnt a lot about myself and am itching to crack on with all the great outdoor opportunities the UK offers. When I lived there, I took it for granted that there were things like the 3 peaks challenge, running races of varying distances every weekend, 'open' access to rambling footpaths, the National Trust, proximity to European hiking, skiing in Scotland etc. Now I am coming back with fresh eyes and see a wealth of wonderful opportunties. I am also in the fortunate position that we will always come back to visit Vancouver as this is where my husband is from and we consider it to be our second home.

Anyway to all those heading back this month - good luck! It is daunting and exciting and scary but que sera sera...it will all work out in the end
Good luck Missot! Vancouver is a really gorgeous place! I've been there a few times, and I absolutely love it! I'm not really one for warm sultry places (considering I live in an arctic tundra you may understand that), so I have taken a few holidays over to Vancouver/Whistler in the wintertime. It really is spectacular! You will have a wonderful life going back between the UK AND Vancouver!! Lucky you!!
Old Mar 18th 2010, 7:12 am
Just Joined

EttyLou will become famous soon enough

It has been in the mid 60's Fahrenheit for the past few days here, and really sunny believe it or not! So i'm all happy that the weather is going to be great for traveling back next week right. Then I go and blow it... I had to ask my friend who's a local meteorologist what the weather will be like when I fly and he tells me it's going to snow... seriously. And where I live, this could mean loads of the stuff, even if it were May!!! Oh man!! Fingers crossed it's a dusting!
Old Mar 18th 2010, 9:31 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Pollyana, I really hope you will return for good one day. There was a time when I thought I was stuck here for good. In the end it's taken me nearly 10 years to be released I'm sure I would have got less for murder!

In the meantime enjoy your fix.
So much in the mix at the moment, thats the trouble. Go home and I have no money, no job and nowhere to live. Here I have a job I love to bits, a roof over my head, and probably (strangely enough) a better income than I would get back home. Not a lot of call for 24/7 storm/cyclone watchers back in the UK!

Had a really good few months lately, Qld doesn't appeal to me any more than it used to, but the people around me have made a difference. Now back in a bit of limbo again as my best friend has gone home, so I shall sit it out for a while and see how it goes.....and give a lot of thought to the options.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 7:19 am
Just Joined

cleve will become famous soon enoughcleve will become famous soon enough

I can finally say it......I am going home this month!!!

Well I leave on the 31st so it's still this month technically

It's been a long time coming, arrived in Perth Australia in July 2000, after visiting for a reccie in Nov 98. Loved the first 2 years, the next 2 were OK, wanted to go home by the 5th. It took a while for the OH to come round due to family logistics and procrastination but thankfully are now on board as much as me.

Would just like to say if there are any of you out there who are putting up with a place just because your OH seems settled, talk to them, really talk to them. You may be surprised to find out that they are not as happy and as settled as they seem on the surface.

Anyway, anyone else going home in the next few weeks?
Good on ya mate!

I'm an Australian and went to live in the UK when I was 20. I initially went on a 2 year working visa and ended up staying for 18 years and absolutely loved it. I returned home for 8 months and ended up going back to the UK to live once again. I then moved back to Australia nearly 3 years ago and miss the UK so we are in the process of moving back once again.
Like many have said Australia is not utopia (nor is the UK) and we find, again like many others, that social time can be boring as there is not that much to do here in Australia because we prefer walking and history and not so much the beach.
I used to love going to Scotland on our holiday.
I will miss certain aspects of Australia but not the isolation and at times remoteness.
Although I am an Australian and proud of it I just wish that the British had as much patriotism as we do and not constantly put it down.
I have also noticed that there are a lot of very negative comments to this kind of post and probably posted by people who have left a desolate area in the UK or Australians who have never left the suburb they were born in or expats who wish they could return but can't afford and these comments are a form of resentment of people going out and doing what they want, not what the masses dictate.
Anyway we are looking forward to going back however we will miss the location that we currently live.
My career over here is fantastic and we have a lot of surplus income at the end of the month however nowhere to spend it, we have travelled the main areas we wanted in Australia, toured New Zealand fully and quite honestly holidays within Australia are very similar beach or bush and there is not a lot of difference between each location.
I spoke to a fellow Aussie the other day who told me the UK is expensive, I asked how he knew and he said that someone told him and that you pay up to 80% tax . Australia used to be cheap say 5-6 years ago but the lack of competition means you really pay high prices now.
It will be extremely hard to leave what we have but we feel a more fulfilling life is within the UK, we are lucky we have dual nationality and are free to do what we want when we want.

I do love my country but in the last 20 years it has changed considerably and we saw it as we used to come back frequently for holidays and visits.

Well done mate and enjoy what you have.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

theyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud oftheyoungs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cleve
Good on ya mate!

I'm an Australian and went to live in the UK when I was 20. I initially went on a 2 year working visa and ended up staying for 18 years and absolutely loved it. I returned home for 8 months and ended up going back to the UK to live once again. I then moved back to Australia nearly 3 years ago and miss the UK so we are in the process of moving back once again.
Like many have said Australia is not utopia (nor is the UK) and we find, again like many others, that social time can be boring as there is not that much to do here in Australia because we prefer walking and history and not so much the beach.
I will miss certain aspects of Australia but not the isolation and at times remoteness.
Although I am an Australian and proud of it I just wish that the British had as much patriotism as we do and not constantly put it down.
I have also noticed that there are a lot of very negative comments to this kind of post and probably posted by people who have left a desolate area in the UK or Australians who have never left the suburb they were born in or expats who wish they could return but can't afford and these comments are a form of resentment of people going out and doing what they want, not what the masses dictate.
Anyway we are looking forward to going back however we will miss the location that we currently live.
My career over here is fantastic and we have a lot of surplus income at the end of the month however nowhere to spend it, we have travelled the main areas we wanted in Australia, toured New Zealand fully and quite honestly holidays within Australia are very similar beach or bush and there is not a lot of difference between each location.
I spoke to a fellow Aussie the other day who told me the UK is expensive, I asked how he knew and he said that someone told him and that you pay up to 80% tax . Australia used to be cheap say 5-6 years ago but the lack of competition means you really pay high prices now.
It will be extremely hard to leave what we have but we feel a more fulfilling life is within the UK, we are lucky we have dual nationality and are free to do what we want when we want.

I do love my country but in the last 20 years it has changed considerably and we saw it as we used to come back frequently for holidays and visits.

What a fantastic post and so refreshing to hear somebody else's point of view about the UK who is not UK born.

Many good wishes for your future and may your journey be everything you want it to be.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Good on ya mate!

Nice honest post Cleve.I have two aussie kids with me in the UK and they also love it here.I know where you are coming from with the fulfilling bit.I also love Australia,but not enough to stay living there.Good luck on your return,and I hope its all you want/expect it to be.Btw,I don't find the tax that high here,but I'm abit out of whack with tax in Australia.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Good on ya mate!

Thanks Cleve, what a lovely refreshing post.

When I was at my lowest I used to think I hated Australia, but I have realised now that I just hated the feeling of being trapped here. Australia is a great place to live, it's just not the place I want to live anymore. We too have dual nationality so the door will always be open and for that I am grateful.

But, I am going home with a new appreciation of what my country offers, I plan to see as much of it as I can in the future and will try not to take what is on my doorstep for granted again.

Good luck with your plans Cleve and I hope you enjoy your life back in the UK.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Just wanted to add......

......12 days to go!!!!
Old Mar 19th 2010, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Just wanted to add......

......12 days to go!!!!
I have 5 days, fly out Wednesday PM!!!! my passport renewal hasn't arrived yet (they rejected the first application because my mouth was not completely closed (2 top teeth showing!). Thank goodness I am dual nationality and can leave on my US one - my neighbour will fwd the Uk passport when it arrives, if necessary after I leave. But again, that won't happen. It has 4 days to make it!!!!! Anyone else ever have that problem??
Old Mar 19th 2010, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

For those returning,where are you heading back to?Hope you have safe flights,and good luck to you all,hope it all works out well for you!
Old Mar 19th 2010, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

wildcountryian is just really nicewildcountryian is just really nicewildcountryian is just really nicewildcountryian is just really nicewildcountryian is just really nicewildcountryian is just really nicewildcountryian is just really nicewildcountryian is just really nice

Fingers crossed we may have a buyer for our place. In which case we're heading back home to North Devon after nearly six years in Alberta. Can't wait. The sea, the sand, the traffic, who cares :0). There's no place like home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.