Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone familiar with Aberdeen ...

Anyone familiar with Aberdeen ...

Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:28 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Anyone familiar with Aberdeen ...

Does anyone knows Aberdeen area very well? Feed back from others have given the impression it is not the best of places to live.

Maybe there are some nice towns within commuting distance of Aberdeen, with a primary school?

This is serious, possibly moving there I was thinking that i can live in Durham ... but i think that idea go down the drain now

Pls help ....
Old Sep 4th 2007, 4:24 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone familiar with Aberdeen ...

I am a born and bred Aberdonian so can tell you that its a lovely city.

Here are some links for you:

Aberdeen City Council
Aberdeen City Webcams
Aberdeen City and Shire

Property - for all houses on sale in the grampian region www.aspc.co.uk - Out where I lived, the commutable villages which are nice were Blackburn/Kintore/Inverurie/Kemnay. Prices in the Aberdeen areas have risen by 20% each of the last few years so it's pretty expensive. In Scotland, unless otherwise stated the house prices are offers over and usually land up with a sealed bid eg on our closing date our house went for 55,000 GBP over the asking price.

Due to the oil industry, lots and lots of jobs available in Aberdeen.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 6:26 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Hello

I have been to Aberdeen several times, so here are my inital thoughts on it:

it is windy but once you are over that not unplesant. (However I only ever visited in summer)
Supposedly it is an ugly city but I always found it quite attractive looking. The shops are good from memory.
There are plenty of jobs, it is a thriving city at the moment (my in laws all live there)
You are close to an airport which makes holiday making easy
The pubs are good, there is a great and thriving nightlife, but full of students as it is a univerity town.

Basically most people love it or hate it, best way to know which one you are is to try it for a few weeks, you should know pretty quickly

Mel
Old Sep 5th 2007, 6:32 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
I am a born and bred Aberdonian so can tell you that its a lovely city.

Here are some links for you:

Aberdeen City Council
Aberdeen City Webcams
Aberdeen City and Shire

Property - for all houses on sale in the grampian region www.aspc.co.uk - Out where I lived, the commutable villages which are nice were Blackburn/Kintore/Inverurie/Kemnay. Prices in the Aberdeen areas have risen by 20% each of the last few years so it's pretty expensive. In Scotland, unless otherwise stated the house prices are offers over and usually land up with a sealed bid eg on our closing date our house went for 55,000 GBP over the asking price.

Due to the oil industry, lots and lots of jobs available in Aberdeen.
Thank you ... will check out all those sites.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 6:34 am
semarang

Originally Posted by mika24me
Hello

I have been to Aberdeen several times, so here are my inital thoughts on it:

it is windy but once you are over that not unplesant. (However I only ever visited in summer)
Supposedly it is an ugly city but I always found it quite attractive looking. The shops are good from memory.
There are plenty of jobs, it is a thriving city at the moment (my in laws all live there)
You are close to an airport which makes holiday making easy
The pubs are good, there is a great and thriving nightlife, but full of students as it is a univerity town.

Basically most people love it or hate it, best way to know which one you are is to try it for a few weeks, you should know pretty quickly

Mel
Thank you for the insight ... i never been there ... so 'hopefully' i still have the chance to like the city. So far not many people giving me a positive statement. But then ... i will be the one who decide wether like it or hate it
Old Sep 5th 2007, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

lil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nice

Originally Posted by novita77
Does anyone knows Aberdeen area very well? Feed back from others have given the impression it is not the best of places to live.

Maybe there are some nice towns within commuting distance of Aberdeen, with a primary school?

This is serious, possibly moving there I was thinking that i can live in Durham ... but i think that idea go down the drain now

Pls help ....
Try Stonehaven, not sure about primary schools, but it is within commuting distance though the A90 can be a bugger as it is only dual carriageway (no motorways that far north!) also the speed camera's are spaced out nicely that you can have lost your licence at least once or twice on a return journey.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

MrsG has a spectacular aura aboutMrsG has a spectacular aura aboutMrsG has a spectacular aura about

Pls help ....
Hi,
I'm in Aberdeen and it's really not a bad place to live. I live near the centre and have 3 kids at the local Primary School.
Housing is cheaper the further out you go but it's still pretty expensive....
Traffic can be a nightmare but where isn't these days...
I can give you loads of info if you want to PM me
Old Sep 5th 2007, 7:01 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Pls help ....

being another Aberdonian views are probably a bit biased

the place has changed a bit over the last 20odd yrs, no longer the backwater it once was - quite a sizeable ex-pat international community, large english community

weather will alwats be a gripe for a lot of people , but guess i was used to it being what i was brought up with - you won't find many nights you can sit out the back garden in summer like other parts of UK

good access to nice countryside & beaches , personally think the downtown area is pretty happening for a city of smallish population 200,000 so we're comparing with Norwich etc ,too many folk make the mistake of comparing with london,glasgow etc which it can never compete with

there is a serious ned - jakey element, but can't say this is any worse than other provincial towns

my Canadian wife happily lived there for 7yrs before move to Calgary

Ferryhill area of town is nice and sought after as is most of West End of Union St

We lived in the dormitory town of Westhill, but if i ever returned would consider the 'white settler' enclave of Kemnay

financially whilst earning the same money in Engineering contracting in London as in Abz, one's money would go further
Old Sep 5th 2007, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Mudbug has a spectacular aura aboutMudbug has a spectacular aura aboutMudbug has a spectacular aura about

I like it, very nice people, great high street, some good bars and clubs. Loads of music and arts to see and it is one of the driest places in the UK.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

my mate lives in Huntly and they found this commutable to Aberdeen- about 40 mins drive and Huntly is quite a pleasant town
Old Sep 6th 2007, 4:03 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Pls help ....
what's going on Novi? why the move?
OH's work i assume? it'll be very different, but if you make it what you want it to be, where it is shouldn't matter
Old Sep 6th 2007, 9:00 am
Account Closed

MaggieM is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I lived in Insch, village in between Inverurie and Huntly. Has a train station, and was a nice plsce when I lived there. I drove to work when I worked in Dyce, but started using train when worked in Aberdeen. The last 4 miles from Dyce to Aberdeen city is a nightmare, as is parking if you don't have a company permit.

Had two children who went to Insch Primary School and on to The Gordon Schools in Huntly.

I would definately recommend living near Huntly so that any kids would end up at the school.

Rector's name was Cameron Harrison, if he's still there he's an ace bloke.

Best of Luck with your move,

Maggie
Old Sep 6th 2007, 3:08 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pomster
my mate lives in Huntly and they found this commutable to Aberdeen- about 40 mins drive and Huntly is quite a pleasant town
like a lot of towns it may be best to plan where you live with a view to work situation - ie Huntly to Altens/Tullos every day , no thanks

there are 2 rivers with bottleneck bridges to north and south of city which impacts the traffic

i've always thought west is best (deeside donside) for access to anywhere ie avoiding bridge of dee , bridge of don, haudagin roundabout etc

a lot of people end up working in characterless industrial estates dotted around edege of city - these have their own traffic problems

also checking out that lovely cottage with the private driveway out in the sticks on a nice summers day is not the same as when there's a dump of snow
(okay does'nt happen as much these days)

sorry for the negative vibes re commuting, but some folk do get caught out
Old Sep 7th 2007, 12:10 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, commuting into Aberdeen is bad. We moved from the suburb of Bridge of Don to Blackburn. BOD was a nightmare to get in and out of - over 30,000 population with only 2 one-lane bridges to get in and out of.

Blackburn was a bit better but the airport roundabout and the Haudagain roundabout would make a 9 mile journey to the city centre last 45 minutes each morning unless you can start work at around 7am - the rush hour(s) start at around 7.20am.

There are several Park and Ride bus routes which are a great help.

Where I live now, a traffic jam is around 4 cars in front of you at the lights.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

lil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nice

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Yes, commuting into Aberdeen is bad. We moved from the suburb of Bridge of Don to Blackburn. BOD was a nightmare to get in and out of - over 30,000 population with only 2 one-lane bridges to get in and out of.

Blackburn was a bit better but the airport roundabout and the Haudagain roundabout would make a 9 mile journey to the city centre last 45 minutes each morning unless you can start work at around 7am - the rush hour(s) start at around 7.20am.

There are several Park and Ride bus routes which are a great help.

Where I live now, a traffic jam is around 4 cars in front of you at the lights.
Not so bad in BOD if you live in Grandholm as you get the magic key to the Grandholm Bridge so that gives better access (although those cobbles are a bit slippy in the winter).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.