Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anyone experienced problems returning to UK with US citizenship?

Wikiposts

Anyone experienced problems returning to UK with US citizenship?

Old Mar 14th 2011, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

sarah64 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone experienced problems returning to UK with US citizenship?

Hello everyone, I'm sure info is dotted around all over here, I'll look around but was hoping for responses for someone in the legal "know" and those who've experienced it first hand... Thank you everyone x
Old Mar 14th 2011, 1:17 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone experienced problems returning to UK with US citizenship?

Originally Posted by sarah64
Hello everyone, I'm sure info is dotted around all over here, I'll look around but was hoping for responses for someone in the legal "know" and those who've experienced it first hand... Thank you everyone x
Not sure I understand. Are you a UK citizen who became a US citizen? If so there's not issue returning to the UK.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Hi, I'm a UK citizen who is not a US citizen, I'm thinking of becoming one tho, but at my tender age of 47 lol, my mother in the UK is up in arms at the idea, saying it'd cause numerous problems when I decide to move back
Old Mar 16th 2011, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I'm a UK citizen who is not a US citizen, I'm thinking of becoming one tho, but at my tender age of 47 lol, my mother in the UK is up in arms at the idea, saying it'd cause numerous problems when I decide to move back
You do have to submit US tax returns for the rest of your life - but only pay tax if you earn more than $90,000 (I think that's the number). Other than that there are no issues that I am aware of.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 3:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

So what would the "numerous problems" be in her opinion?
Old Mar 16th 2011, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
You do have to submit US tax returns for the rest of your life - but only pay tax if you earn more than $90,000 (I think that's the number). Other than that there are no issues that I am aware of.
And you only have to pay tax on the excess over $90,000.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
EDT: And you only have to pay tax on the excess over $90,000
.. of earned income.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
.. of earned income.

Opps - thanks for adding that in .

Filing the taxes is the only "issue" as far as I can see and my tax guy over here as already told me he can handle them - I just need to call him at the appropriate time as it is all electronic nowadays anyways!!
Old Mar 16th 2011, 5:01 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

OP, why do you want to become a US citizen?

My next question is where's your money? Do you have investments and pensions in the US. If so you'll still have to fill out US tax forms even if you don't take US citizenship.

The UK has no interest in whether you have US citizenship too, so you can just come back, flash the passport and continue you life in the UK at any time. US citizenship might be useful if you have family in the US and want to return in the future, but it comes with lots of responsibility and bother, particularly where tax is concerned.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your advice! My mother's numerous panic's are probably unfounded, I think she believes I would lose rights as a UK citizen, I've tried to inform her otherwise but she's having none of it!
As to why I am considering becoming a US citizen, probably not the correct reason but maybe someone can help me see why it's not necessary. I'm thinking of moving back to UK for up to a year, maybe longer. My children (almost 19 and 21)) will stay in the US with their father. I would like the option of returning back here to live along with the freedom to come and go as I please before my potential return to visit my children for as long as I like in case of emergency. Thanks again. I have lived in the US for 22 years now.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thank you all for your advice! My mother's numerous panic's are probably unfounded, I think she believes I would lose rights as a UK citizen, I've tried to inform her otherwise but she's having none of it!
As to why I am considering becoming a US citizen, probably not the correct reason but maybe someone can help me see why it's not necessary. I'm thinking of moving back to UK for up to a year, maybe longer. My children (almost 19 and 21)) will stay in the US with their father. I would like the option of returning back here to live along with the freedom to come and go as I please before my potential return to visit my children for as long as I like in case of emergency. Thanks again. I have lived in the US for 22 years now.
Sounds like a pretty sound reason for getting US citizenship. I'm in a similar position - with adult children in the US - and the ability to live outside the US for as long as I want, but to be able to return and live in the US, was my main motivation for taking out US citizenship. A Green Card potentially does not provide you with that freedom.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Thank you, I think I'd better get the ball rolling, this place is always so uplifting and hopeful, at the end of the day so many of us are in the same position. I've never fit in here in the US but 2 months back in London last year was unbelievably easy, I was home, friends from 20 odd years ago were consistently amazing as was the food, the humour, the attitude, the ability to laugh and have fun, oh the list is endless
Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:56 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

Your mum probably thinks that taking US citizenship implies that you're giving up UK citizenship. Obviously that's not the case.

Your reasons for wanting US citizenship are the best if all and Id do it so that you never have to worry about being with your kids. Ther may come a time when you want to be close to them full time and need to move back and being a US citizen removes any issues.

As you've been in the US for so long I imagine that your finances are mostly over there so you'd have the tax issues even if you weren't a US citizen. So go for it
Old Mar 16th 2011, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Tis a hard bullet to bite but well worth it considering it'll be because of my children mainly Thanks for the support!
Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:30 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

Tis a hard bullet to bite but well worth it considering it'll be because of my children mainly Thanks for the support!
I found that getting US citizenship had some psychological effects. I felt that i was being disloyal.....and I'm definitely not the patriotic flag waving type. The big thing is the US oath of loyalty where you have to swear that you are giving up all your former loyalties, but as you do it in a big group you can mumble those bits.

I took citizenship as I'd been in the US for so long and I wanted to participate by voting and also to protect things like SS, not out of any great desire to be an American.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.